Follow

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/12/01/sandra-day-oconnor-first-woman-serve-supreme-court-dies/7974881002/

She was diagnosed five years ago.

Find Care & Housing
Dementia is such a cruel disease, especially for someone so intelligent.
(3)

When she started she couldn't get a job as a lawyer because she was a woman! I'll tell you this. No one in my career, except one*, has ever said anything or did anything less (like pay) because I am a woman. So I tell all woman: Do what you want. You have the value. Almost no one will diminish that because of your gender. Your pay is less? Find another place that will pay more. If you can't find such a place start your own business! You can do it.

*A competitor on a bid said to me "You women don't what you're doing." I won the bid award. Last time I checked that guy who said that to me went out of business. It's not a surprise.
(3)

Very sad.
(1)

"by 2014, she started showing cognitive decline"

Wow... that means 10 years.

I'd been dating the beginning of her Alz to 2018 when she withdrew from the public.

In Canada, she would have had the option to see herself out.

Instead, five more years...
(5)

You’re right, Alva.

She retired in 2005 to keep her husband with dementia at home. He went into a facility within months anyway. She walked in to see him holding another woman’s hand, and she just held his other hand. He died in 2011 and by 2014, she started showing cognitive decline.
(5)

If I am not mistaken she left the court initially to see her husband out with the same dread disease? Awful. Just awful to have to go on so long. Would imagine the best of care. Still................
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter