Follow

I've developed kidney stones and a tumor on the R kidney, which needs surgery in a few weeks. This post is to inform about the way found around the problem of blood clots blocking the opening from the bladder to the urethra. On Palm Sunday in the ER, I'd spent about 6 hours with increasing pain and pressure due to blobs clogging the opening. My Youngest suggested as I lay on the R side to alleviate the agony, "Mom, why don't you try peeing while reclining?" I did and all of a sudden the pee shot out to immense relief.

Up until then, I'd been trying in the vertical position, either standing or sitting and the MD said that gravity pulled the clots away from the drain hole enough so that pee flowed.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Wow! What a genius youngest! And thank you for sharing this amazing fact, pronker! You've helped a lot of people today.
(1)

So happy for your relief! Many years ago I had a stone which caused incredible pain as it passed from kidney to bladder, then became embedded in my bladder wall, too far down for ultrasonic treatment. They had to go in the "exit" to dig it out. Then got a doozie of a UTI, passing clots -- oy, the pain! far worse than my 3 labors and caesarians combined. Thanks so much for the "hack"!
(1)

@AlvaDeer, my Youngest is my son who drove 50 miles at breakneck speed to be with his mom, and I'm grateful to him beyond words for his advice and weeklong visit before he needed to go back to work. Thanks for the swift reply and advice. I especially appreciate the advice about constipation because sure enough, that's happened, too. :( I agree about MDs going too far in the other direction re opioids; I've used codeine or vicodin before to little help and a great deal of nausea, so man, I've developed a real taste for the morphine drip! MD assures me that post-op it will be available, not for a huge amount of time, but some.
(2)

Pronker, thanks for this. What a smart gal, that daughter. So glad this worked with just the gravity letting the clot move out of the way. Makes perfect sense now you say it.
I read your other post and now see you are two weeks out from surgery and you are still in pain. Don't take NSAIDS or Aspirins as they thin the blood. You need to let the doctor know you need something with mild codeine in it, the lower dose, but if you do take that watch carefully for constipation; I always had to take a stool softener (colace works) with any pain medication like this or the cement bowel made everything else mild in comparison. You need pain relief and cannot go for weeks without it. In some senses pain is your friend; it lets you know what's happening in your body. But you need to be able to get rest and sleep.
Doctors are very afraid to prescribe any pain meds now with opiates. They have gone way overboard in this due to addiction problems. If you are not getting relief do speak with your doctor.
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter