Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
If anyone enjoys light mysteries and dogs, David Rosenfelt is my new favorite author. Not too gory or too complex and always a dog involved. He's written a bunch of books. I always read right before bed.
(2)

Been reading Hamilton by Ron Chernow. Quite a slog but fascinating history of US. Never knew that Jefferson was such a jerk, at least according to this author. And sure glad that dueling is now out of fashion. That’s all men got done in those days! How they made a hit broadway play from this escapes me.
(6)

I'm reading "Blessings" by Anna Quindlen. It's so sweet.
(2)

CM, will your next book be "lumber", or perhaps "wiring"?
(4)

I just ordered Daughter's architect boyfriend's Christmas present, following her instructions. She said he had spoken warmly of a big hardback book entitled: "Concrete."

Once I'd paid, the website suggested that I might also like: "Brick."

This is going to be a fun Christmas.
(7)

They serialised Into The Water on Radio 4 earlier this year, Glad; and I have to say it made me want to swallow my own tongue - no idea what the heck was going on or who was who or why, why, why - ???

I toyed with the idea of getting the book to see if it would make more sense but thought of Dorothy Parker - "this book should not be tossed aside lightly, but hurled with great force."
(4)

I just finished Girl on the Train. I loved it. Now working on another book by Paula Hawkins, Into the Water. This one is harder to get into.

Jeanne, will have to look for Spool of Blue Thread next. It sound as if I would enjoy it. Thank you for the recommendation.
(3)

Carla, I think the rather sweet difficulty with that is that she has real trouble maintaining characters who are not basically lovely. She recently tackled an update of 'The Taming of the Shrew' - oh what was the title? grr, I'll look it up - with very enjoyable results; but the trouble is that because everyone's perspective was so well presented there weren't really any villains of the piece, and it does need some.

My own special favourite is Breathing Lessons. And The Beginner's Goodbye. And, obviously, The Accidental Tourist.

They say you should never meet your heroes, but Ms Tyler would definitely be on my fantasy dinner party list.

Oh tee hee - just giggling at the husband who always gives himself away by humming a song that says what's really on his mind, so that his wife turns on him and snaps "No I am NOT crazy!!!"
(2)

I really like Anne Tyler. However, right now I'm struggling to get into Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant. It got rave reviews so I plan to keep trying. I'll look for A Spool of Blue Thread also.
(3)

That sounds really good. I think I know someone who might really enjoy it. I may just give it to them for Christmas.
(3)

Thanks for the tip J Gibbs. My fav, Accidental Tourist. Great book and a good movie with William Hurt and Geena Davis.
(5)

Isn't she wonderful? And I especially love the fault lines between the different perspectives :)
(5)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter