Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
I am definitely going to have to check out Anne Tyler's "A Spool of Blue Thread". I have a wide variety of interests when it comes to reading. Sci Fi, Historical and Regular Romance, Mysteries etc as well as educational books.
(0)

I am going to have to read A Spool of Blue Thread. I have it, but haven't started it yet.

I also love any book by Fannie Flagg (author of Fried Green Tomatoes). She is great at telling a good story with a sense of humor.
(1)

Just finished Water for Elephants, loved it! The part set in the nursing home is the lesser part of the book but it is a wonderful perspective from a residents point of view, so well described. The book has heavy parts but is overall uplifting, so don’t let the nursing home prevent anyone from giving it a read
(2)

Jeanne, you wrote: "Life is hard and then you die." That's so simple, so complex, somewhat poignant, and certainly true. When I read that I was reminded of something I read years ago. I don't know where I read, who wrote it, only that it was humbling, true and sad.

It was:

"She took me to St. Petersburg, where all her brothers lay.
Then she took me home again; said 'Life is hard today.' "
(1)

Glad, I've read Berry's books as well, except for the Alexandria Link. My recollection is that they were well written and blended history and action very well.

I had been reading The Lost Order, but experienced my own loss - of interest. It's massive, and drags on and on and on. There are a few action points inbetween sleeper type narrative. I eventually put it on the "to finish some day" pile as I was tired of the literal slow pace at which most of the novel was written.
(1)

Oh my gosh, Jeanne! Your post literally set my brain in motion (it's usually still a bit sluggish on Sundays...well, most days, for that matter). I read all of Hemingway's novels in college; I think I may even have taken a course on his literature alone. It's been awhile, and well, the mind gets cobwebs...

I do remember taking courses on Shakespeare and Fitzgerald's works. It's so interesting that you're seeing Hemingway's literature differently than when you read it earlier. That same feeling occurred to me when I started Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night. I remember having been so moved by it decades ago, but had trouble finding interest now and just abandoned it in favor of a quick read that redirected my thoughts to action (hence Cussler).

I wonder if I'll feel the same way about Hemingway. Best recollections are not only the life and death issues, but a young, adventuresome man exploring life. And sadly, beyond that, it's hard to remember how I reacted when I read his works.

Perhaps some of these writers address periods of our own lives which have already past, and to which we can relate at that particular time? But they aren't as relevant to us now as we're exploring seguing into older age, rather than exploring the world and all its wonders. (Sometimes the wonders I discover now are the different areas of nursing homes or new stiffness or aches in my old body!)

Your observation is thought provoking; I might start a Hemingway novel now just to see if I too experience it differently.

I recall one that I did find more challenging - Joyce's Ulysses. I can't for the life of me now recall how I found that stream of consciousness style so fascinating. It's too hard on my old eyes.
(1)

Hemingway. The senior club I just joined discussed "A Farewell to Arms" last week. I haven't read Hemingway in decades and I wondered if I'd have a different reaction reading it as an older woman than I did as a college student, 50 years ago. Yup. Sure did.

I was surprised that the other three ladies had never read the book, or apparently any Hemingway that they could remember. They didn't care for it much. Too much drinking. Too bleak. Relationship between the lieutenant and Cat was superficial. I reminded them that the characters are very young, and are in the middle of a war. When you think of love stories like West Side Story and Romeo and Juliet and even Cinderella, they pretty much are superficial. Do the Prince and Cinderella ever discuss their religious views or how they feel about having children or their favorite books? Seemed perfectly normal to me in my twenties, but it seems pure fantasy now.

I loved the writing style when I first read it. Now I find it a bit choppy. I agree with the ladies that it is bleak, and I thought that when I first read it fifty years ago. Life is hard and then you die.

My favorite Hemingway is "The Old Man and the Sea." Even in that, when the old man is victorious over the fish, he does not get to keep his prize.

Anybody else reread anything by Hemingway? Did your reaction change from when you first read it?
(2)

GA, used to love Steve Berry books. I haven't read one for years. The Amber Room, Templar Legacy, Alexandria Link, Romanov Prophecy, are the ones I remember off the top. I loved the historic fiction elements. Always learn about something I did not know about.
(2)

Glad, Cussler's novels really are fast paced. That's one of the reasons I like them; they're so engrossing that I forget about caregiving woes for a while. I might read the Romanov Ransom again as the last weather report I saw predicted a sort of heat wave. Thinking about that plane stuck in a snowbank will help me keep cool.

But I think now it's time for some more Peter Mayle novels on his ventures in Provence. They're very relaxing and soothing novels, as is the thought of retiring in Provence.
(2)

GA, finished. I enjoyed it and you must laugh that Romanov Ransom would put me to sleep. Oh my goodness, stuck in a crashed plane with six dead bodies, an avalanche, then another? And to actually come our alive and with the Faberge! I might need a more calm book for my next one. Even thought about "Being Mortal" I have heard so much about it on this site. And the library here has a book club that has probably finished reading it by now. I don't have a loneliness or anything over losing mom and L. Maybe Being Mortal would just make me feel guilty?

My daughter gave me a book A Man Called Ove about a grumpy old guy that she enjoyed. But, then do I really need any grumpy old guys? 😲

And My Grandmother Told Me to Tell You She's Sorry. Same author and may be a good book for many caregivers to read.
(0)

GA, I am almost done with it. Saturday, probably. It has taken about five weeks, but I only read an hour or two on Saturday and Sunday, if I don't fall asleep.🌜 I start to read and the eyes get heavy. Yes, I am enjoying it, lots of action, thought I would finish this past Sunday, but fell asleep. you sure don't know who to trust! Romanov Ransom.
(0)

Glad, how is the Cussler novel coming along? A few days ago I started a new one, The Rising Sea. True to Cussler form, it's packed with action and integrates current political issues - international power jockeying, unscrupulous activities that contribute to oceanic anomalies, tough good guys and evil, mean bad guys. And there's also technology that's cutting edge; that lends such a reality to his novels that they seem more than fast paced adventure novels.
(1)

I think I gotter done. Just recheck everything then the accountant dump.
(2)

Glad, OMG - I completely forgot about taxes with all that's going on with my father. Guess I better just get an extension.
(2)

Wish I had more time to read. It is get tax stuff together weekend. Maybe I will file on time for the first time in several years. If I get it done today maybe I can read most of the day tomorrow.
(3)

Jeanne, interesting observation. I never thought of suspending disbelief when I watched the Murder, She Wrote episodes. My first thought was one of admiration for the producers in selecting an older woman as a heroine, a woman who thought rationally, and lived a full life. So often older women aren't stereotyped as problem solvers.

Miss Marple series are also enjoyable; she has a quieter, softer approach, but I like her style, and I mentally salivate or go into a frenzy when I see all those beautiful British gardens in the productions. Sometimes I can't even remember the plot - I just remember those beautiful country gardens.

RealTime, I've never read Trollope's work. I think I've read an excerpt from Trollope's work, but at this point in my life I've forgotten the names of so many writers whose work I may have read. So many authors, so little time!

Glad, I never thought of the eggs, at this time of the year. Your reading the Romanov Ransom is making me want to reread it. I need something really fast paced now, and when I read Cussler's works I literally forget about everything.
(1)

GA, how appropriate, the missing faberge eggs!
(1)

When I'm relaxed and peaceful, I read and re-read Anthony Trollope, a British contemporary of Dickens. He has two wonderful interwoven series, the Chronicles of Barsetshire and the Parliamentary Series (as well as dozens of freestanding novels). You have to change into a slower, quieter life rhythm to enjoy these books but ... I've reread some of them several times. Wonderful villains, wonderful female characters (except for the namby-pamby heroines), usually a rather run of the mill main love story plot which is just the trellis around which to wind several fabulous subplots, some funny, some tragic, some just very, very human.

If you've never read Trollope and want to try, I recommend starting with the Barsetshire Chronicles. The first book, "The Warden," is the least interesting of the series, but it's obligatory to read it because it introduces several characters who'll come back again and again; and it's short. Things really start moving in "Barchester Towers," the second of the series.

And the classic mystery writers: yes! Dorothy Sayers --- somebody mentioned her --- who herself had an incredible life; Agatha Christie; and Ngaio Marsh (my favorite of the three).

And nowadays, when I need complete escapism, I count the days until John Sandford's next thriller comes out. He has written dozens now and I've read them in the order they were published, so I've been able to watch how his characters have aged, died, got married, got killed, killed villains, had kids --- both the good guys and, occasionally, a encoring bad guy. There's usually at least one main story and a solid subplot; sometimes the subplot is quite funny.

And also for escapism, Michael Connelly's "Lincoln Lawyer" courtroom thrillers.
(4)

GA and Glad, fiction, especially genre fiction, often requires us to suspend our disbelief. If you are worried that it isn't realistic for Jessica Fletcher to find murder wherever so goes, then Murder She Wrote isn't a good choice for you!

I found Robert Parker's novels required a large dose of suspended disbelief, but I read them all and enjoyed them anyway.
(1)

Great book. Love Anne Tyler.
(1)

Glad, Cussler's heroes are always able to engage in challenging physical activities when they're threatened. They survive injuries which mere mortals would be unable to handle. Their prowess stretches credulity.

But Cussler's development of historical backgrounds and his ability to weave credible scenarios, as well as vanquish evil narcissists (somewhat in the style of James Bond) is one of the aspects I enjoy about his works.

And all of his books seem to be well researched, and often focused on cutting edge technology, especially the maritime novels.

It's similar to the action movies in which Sylvester Stallone or some other bare chested well muscled hero accomplishes feats that are basically unrealistic.
(2)

Jeannegibbs,
By the end of Being Mortal, somehow I felt a whole lot better about my MIL, whom died in my house, on hospice. She wanted to come live with us and look out on the wheat field. She was 91. Her own stepmother was on hospice in her home too and MIL was there with her. I realized MIL did this whole ending Her Way. She had a great and fabulous life to the end. The book was really good. Now I get to read some "fluff"!
(3)

GA, your spoiler didn't spoil anything. No clue what you mean since I don't think I have read Cussler before. I will get back to you.
(0)

Glad, I read the Romanov Ransom a few months ago. It's another of Cussler's fast paced, somewhat complicated plot, and literally a spine tingler as the action gets heated.

I hope you enjoy it. It's also the kind of novel I would read again, probably during the hot sweltering days of summer.

Spoiler: you might find the survival days are short on detail, i.e., how are the characters really coping with the situation other than being the strong heroes they always are? But, then, that's part of the Cussler mystique.

Post back when you're well into the book or have finished it. I like to hear from others who enjoy his novels.
(1)

GA, romanov ransom
(1)

Midkid, ah, another Fitzgerald fan. Took a course on his works when in college; there's so much insight to be gained. I think Tender is the Night was one of the most insightful, and somewhat tragic.

Glad, which Cussler novel did you check out? I wonder if it's one I've read. He's so prolific but I still wish he'd produce more novels annually!

I'm beginning to segue back to the 1970s when I took some really good lit courses. I think it's time to get some of them out and read them again.
(1)

I just finished a small book of short stories... some unusual but intriguing short stories... called Heartbreaker Stories by Maryse Meijer. A 25 yo coworker loaned it to me, said she thought I would like it and I did. That's the first fiction book I've read in years. I like the short story format a lot. I've noticed this before - that I appreciate fiction I can read in one sitting. I've read much longer novels, but I'll sometimes start going on one of those and then stay up all night trying to read it all, so I suppose the short story works for me better on some level. I don't like getting interested in something and then having to put it aside, not knowing what happens next. :-)
(4)

I just finished Spool of Blue Thread, I enjoyed the first part the best. Usually I read mysteries, crime novels, and the sort. They move much faster. Checked out a Cussler 2017 novel at the library, will try that next.
(2)

Pat, pat, pat, BootShopGirl. Good for you! (Of course neither of those books are fiction. Hope you are doing some fun reading, too.) What did you think of Being Mortal? I really thought it was going to go a different direction when he started out talking about the practices of family caring for elders in India. I'm glad he is so practical and realistic.
(2)

My DIL and I "share" books. She just started on a Wallace Stegner kick. (Angle of Repose was his biggest "hit" and I read it so young, it didn't impact me at all. I'm reading Sweet Crossings (?) I am bad with the titles, as I read so much. Really sweet/sad.

Anything/everything by Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald. Anne Tyler--I've read her over and over. I intersperse heavy reading with something more "popcorny".

The more I read the more I realize I know NOTHING!! :)
(2)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter