Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4 5
Ahhh, found it! Great recommendation Jeanne! First chapter of blue thread. OM Goodness! The dysfunction!
(2)

I have been lazy about reading. About half way through Blue Thread now. First unexpected event. Will not spoil it for anyone else that is also reading it or may want to. Thank you Jeanne for the recommendation.

What are others reading?
(2)

I'm currently reading The Paramour's Daughter, 7th (?) in the Maggie MacGowan mystery series by Wendy Hornsby which I know will be good. I've pretty much run through all my favourite authors and have been dabbling at random through the library, unfortunately I haven't hit on any compelling authors. I'm finding it's really difficult to judge the contents of an e book by the online descriptions.
(2)

Someone already mentioned David Rosenfelt's books -- mysteries with dogs. Those are very good. I know the post topic says fiction, but David Rosenfelt also wrote a hilarious nonfiction book called Dog Tripping. It's about how he and his wife, with the help of friends and volunteers, managed to transport their 25 rescue dogs across the country to their new home when they moved from California to Maine.

Spencer Quinn's Chet and Bernie books are also good mysteries with dogs. Bernie is a private detective who solves mysteries with the help of his dog Chet, who narrates the books. Chet's take on events can be really funny. The first one is called Dog on It.
(1)

Read a few more Cussler novels; they're fast paced and I end up feeling as though I've missed a lot because I fly through them. But I'll read them again and again.

Wanted a change of pace with a different historical slant so I'm now reading Steve Barry's The Lost Order, about knights which amassed a fortune. Sounds like it's based on the Templars.

And of course there are the ever present gardening magazines, especially The English Garden, which is like a visual combination of Godiva and Lindt chocolates, and truly inspirational.
(6)

GA, Godiva and Lindt rolled into one? Must be wonderful!
(0)

Glad, it is! Just make sure you're firmly grounded or you might find yourself literally flying by getting so high on chocolate!
(1)

I've been hearing great things about The Bright Hour by Nina Riggs. I think I need the reminder to live as fully as possible.
(2)

Just finished the first book mentioned here, A Spool of Blue Thread. It was much different from books I usually read but I really enjoyed it and am glad to have seen it recommended here. Now looking forward to more titles mentioned here, plus other Anne Tyler books. Many thanks!
(2)

Ooh, what a great thread! Thanks for the great suggestions. This year I got hooked on the "Maggie Hope Mysteries" series, starting with "Mister Churchill's Secretary". She's an American in England at the start of WWII and the Blitz. She gets a job with Winston Churchill and ends up as a spy. Fast, and with each book they go even faster! Easy to read. A part of history that few know about.
(3)

Moose, that sounds like a good historical and spy novel. I think I'll try that.

It brings back memories of a PBS program on women who worked at Bletchley Park during WWII. Fascinating, and wonderful to see a program of women at such important levels of the war effort.
(3)

I just finally finished reading The 36-Hour Day and Being Mortal. Please somebody give me a pat on the back!
(4)

My DIL and I "share" books. She just started on a Wallace Stegner kick. (Angle of Repose was his biggest "hit" and I read it so young, it didn't impact me at all. I'm reading Sweet Crossings (?) I am bad with the titles, as I read so much. Really sweet/sad.

Anything/everything by Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald. Anne Tyler--I've read her over and over. I intersperse heavy reading with something more "popcorny".

The more I read the more I realize I know NOTHING!! :)
(2)

Pat, pat, pat, BootShopGirl. Good for you! (Of course neither of those books are fiction. Hope you are doing some fun reading, too.) What did you think of Being Mortal? I really thought it was going to go a different direction when he started out talking about the practices of family caring for elders in India. I'm glad he is so practical and realistic.
(2)

I just finished Spool of Blue Thread, I enjoyed the first part the best. Usually I read mysteries, crime novels, and the sort. They move much faster. Checked out a Cussler 2017 novel at the library, will try that next.
(2)

I just finished a small book of short stories... some unusual but intriguing short stories... called Heartbreaker Stories by Maryse Meijer. A 25 yo coworker loaned it to me, said she thought I would like it and I did. That's the first fiction book I've read in years. I like the short story format a lot. I've noticed this before - that I appreciate fiction I can read in one sitting. I've read much longer novels, but I'll sometimes start going on one of those and then stay up all night trying to read it all, so I suppose the short story works for me better on some level. I don't like getting interested in something and then having to put it aside, not knowing what happens next. :-)
(4)

Midkid, ah, another Fitzgerald fan. Took a course on his works when in college; there's so much insight to be gained. I think Tender is the Night was one of the most insightful, and somewhat tragic.

Glad, which Cussler novel did you check out? I wonder if it's one I've read. He's so prolific but I still wish he'd produce more novels annually!

I'm beginning to segue back to the 1970s when I took some really good lit courses. I think it's time to get some of them out and read them again.
(1)

GA, romanov ransom
(1)

Glad, I read the Romanov Ransom a few months ago. It's another of Cussler's fast paced, somewhat complicated plot, and literally a spine tingler as the action gets heated.

I hope you enjoy it. It's also the kind of novel I would read again, probably during the hot sweltering days of summer.

Spoiler: you might find the survival days are short on detail, i.e., how are the characters really coping with the situation other than being the strong heroes they always are? But, then, that's part of the Cussler mystique.

Post back when you're well into the book or have finished it. I like to hear from others who enjoy his novels.
(1)

GA, your spoiler didn't spoil anything. No clue what you mean since I don't think I have read Cussler before. I will get back to you.
(0)

Jeannegibbs,
By the end of Being Mortal, somehow I felt a whole lot better about my MIL, whom died in my house, on hospice. She wanted to come live with us and look out on the wheat field. She was 91. Her own stepmother was on hospice in her home too and MIL was there with her. I realized MIL did this whole ending Her Way. She had a great and fabulous life to the end. The book was really good. Now I get to read some "fluff"!
(3)

Glad, Cussler's heroes are always able to engage in challenging physical activities when they're threatened. They survive injuries which mere mortals would be unable to handle. Their prowess stretches credulity.

But Cussler's development of historical backgrounds and his ability to weave credible scenarios, as well as vanquish evil narcissists (somewhat in the style of James Bond) is one of the aspects I enjoy about his works.

And all of his books seem to be well researched, and often focused on cutting edge technology, especially the maritime novels.

It's similar to the action movies in which Sylvester Stallone or some other bare chested well muscled hero accomplishes feats that are basically unrealistic.
(2)

Great book. Love Anne Tyler.
(1)

GA and Glad, fiction, especially genre fiction, often requires us to suspend our disbelief. If you are worried that it isn't realistic for Jessica Fletcher to find murder wherever so goes, then Murder She Wrote isn't a good choice for you!

I found Robert Parker's novels required a large dose of suspended disbelief, but I read them all and enjoyed them anyway.
(1)

When I'm relaxed and peaceful, I read and re-read Anthony Trollope, a British contemporary of Dickens. He has two wonderful interwoven series, the Chronicles of Barsetshire and the Parliamentary Series (as well as dozens of freestanding novels). You have to change into a slower, quieter life rhythm to enjoy these books but ... I've reread some of them several times. Wonderful villains, wonderful female characters (except for the namby-pamby heroines), usually a rather run of the mill main love story plot which is just the trellis around which to wind several fabulous subplots, some funny, some tragic, some just very, very human.

If you've never read Trollope and want to try, I recommend starting with the Barsetshire Chronicles. The first book, "The Warden," is the least interesting of the series, but it's obligatory to read it because it introduces several characters who'll come back again and again; and it's short. Things really start moving in "Barchester Towers," the second of the series.

And the classic mystery writers: yes! Dorothy Sayers --- somebody mentioned her --- who herself had an incredible life; Agatha Christie; and Ngaio Marsh (my favorite of the three).

And nowadays, when I need complete escapism, I count the days until John Sandford's next thriller comes out. He has written dozens now and I've read them in the order they were published, so I've been able to watch how his characters have aged, died, got married, got killed, killed villains, had kids --- both the good guys and, occasionally, a encoring bad guy. There's usually at least one main story and a solid subplot; sometimes the subplot is quite funny.

And also for escapism, Michael Connelly's "Lincoln Lawyer" courtroom thrillers.
(4)

GA, how appropriate, the missing faberge eggs!
(1)

Jeanne, interesting observation. I never thought of suspending disbelief when I watched the Murder, She Wrote episodes. My first thought was one of admiration for the producers in selecting an older woman as a heroine, a woman who thought rationally, and lived a full life. So often older women aren't stereotyped as problem solvers.

Miss Marple series are also enjoyable; she has a quieter, softer approach, but I like her style, and I mentally salivate or go into a frenzy when I see all those beautiful British gardens in the productions. Sometimes I can't even remember the plot - I just remember those beautiful country gardens.

RealTime, I've never read Trollope's work. I think I've read an excerpt from Trollope's work, but at this point in my life I've forgotten the names of so many writers whose work I may have read. So many authors, so little time!

Glad, I never thought of the eggs, at this time of the year. Your reading the Romanov Ransom is making me want to reread it. I need something really fast paced now, and when I read Cussler's works I literally forget about everything.
(1)

Wish I had more time to read. It is get tax stuff together weekend. Maybe I will file on time for the first time in several years. If I get it done today maybe I can read most of the day tomorrow.
(3)

Glad, OMG - I completely forgot about taxes with all that's going on with my father. Guess I better just get an extension.
(2)

I think I gotter done. Just recheck everything then the accountant dump.
(2)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter