Let's rate the home care agencies - the good, the bad and the ugly.

Follow

Tell about your Home Care Agency experience - Which Agency is good, which did you have problems with?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing

Comments

Show:
1 2 3
I finally left the agency and now have found a good agency which is Jewish Family Services. They are non-profit and seem to be focused on providing good care for the client.
(0)

Thank you freqflyer and SuzieQQQ. My husband has repeatedly asked for male CNAs. He has also asked that particular CNAs, like the one who injured him with her fingernails be removed. All has fallen on deaf ears! He is continually reminded that Allstate will make caregiver choices.
(0)

jdvinfl, can you request a male RN or LPN to help out, they would be much better with the heavier lifting.
(0)

Jdvinfl,

Wow, that's scary.
Pardon my ignorance, but I would think that someone of your husbands' stature would require more than one person handling his situation. A nurse in addition to an aide would be a must. IF anything should happen while operating the Hoyer lift, the NURSE should be the main person there.
I am appalled at how little nurses do nowadays as compared to years ago. All the heavy work is dumped on aides. I can understand how the jobs at a hospital are delineated, and nurses mostly do charting, but home care is a different thing. Giving meds is the easy part (which is what nurses want to do). It's the other stuff that requires muscle and knowledge.

The problem with insurances is that nurses are too expensive and even if you get a nurse, they dump the work on to an aide. They just check in as supervisors. Well, I can SUPERVISE myself without the hefty charge of a lazy visiting nurse.This what happened to a co-worker of mine. I think this may be the reason that unqualified people are being sent in to do "nursing" work.

I think if nurses want to do home care, they need to "do" home care. Otherwise stay working in the hospitals.

I will be calling more agencies tomorrow. I'll report my findings here.
(0)

he's also 6 ft tall and over 200 pounds... he's been sent a caregiver with a back injury and another with her arm in a cast! There is no such thing as the good hands people... more like a fist
(0)

We are in a different situation... My husband is 49 years old with a masters degree in social work. He is also a C5-C6 quadriplegic requiring 24 hour care. For over 30 years he chose his own caregivers. A year ago Allstate handed all choice over to a nurse case manage they placed. He has been argued with, ignored and yelled at; had 2 level 3 decubiti; has a uti that required injectable antibiotics; numerous no-call, no-shows; caregivers who could not speak the language; caregivers with no spinal cord injury or hoyer lift experience; had his cath pulled to the extent of bllood in the urine and from the penis; been gauged by fingernails; had caregivers sleep so soundly that I was forced to actually go touch them to wake them!
(0)

Jdvinfl,
I guess in speaking with agencies, I took their side. I apologize. I'm sure it's different from the workers point of view.

I am very frustrated with trying to find care for my mom. I have spoken to friends, co-workers, and it's a recurring theme of good help is hard to find...

I also heard about a local agency where the employees are very unhappy and blame the owner.

Can you give examples of issues? I'm learning. As a perfectionist, I am really afraid of hiring someone for my mom. I'm in the NE. Nonetheless, your story would help me maneuver this help seeking mess.
(0)

Hi SuzieQQQ... Unfortunately our experience has proven to be just the opposite. The agency is only as good as it's administrators! Honesty, ethics, morals... when they are lacking caregivers are placed in the precarious situation of following their lead and reducing themselves to the level of the administration; or performing their duties with integrity and risk losing their job! I am a Florida CNA and have a very clear understanding of how demanding the job can be.
(0)

I have been doing a lot of research in the past month re: caregivers. I need to get one for my mom on a part time basis. I will be honest with all of you.
I need a nurse, a housekeeper, and a maid, all rolled up in one. All this for $10/hr. I know it's unrealistic, so I'm not sure it's fair to jump all over the agencies. Most people take caregiving jobs because they cannot get anything else. The job is very demanding, psychologically and physically brutal.

I came to a conclusion that an agency is only as good as its' employees. MOST people just need a paycheck. That goes for majority of professions. This is where the disconnect is between the family hiring and the hiree. NOBODY wants to be a cheap servant.
I'm also finding out that agencies want to call themselves "non-medical", but find themselves providing healthcare , like changing urine bags, giving insulin...The agencies want people to pay cash because they don't want to deal with the insurance reimbursements. It's a mess out there.
(0)

Assured and Associates Personal Care of Florida is was our 5th and WORST agency in 10 months! Visit the AHCA website for details on their history and performance issues.
(0)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Related
Questions