Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Llamalover47, that must have been sooo difficult for you. Thank you for sharing your story with us.
(1)

Teri4077: Oh, thank you for your sweet comments! I rallied because I had GOD on my side, else most assuredly without HIM, I would have failed!
(1)

Ain't it the truth!
(1)

Thanks, Llamalover -- as I move into this new phase of my life (retiring early and moving to Mom's state, moving her in with me) I especially appreciate that guidance to keep my focus on the Lord.
(3)

Teri4077: You're very welcome! Caregiving isn't easy, but when you've got God on your side, you can do it.

"But those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31
(1)

mally: Yes, so true!
(0)

as I've been reading and posting on this site it's been fascinating to see how we are all drawn to certain people's posts and not so much to others. I'm finding myself seeking out posts from people who I know will share my perspective and provide helpful, rather than negative, feedback. Thanks for doing so, Llamalover!
(1)

Teri4077: You are so welcome! I learned long ago that caregiving is not a contest and even if it were, I don't aspire to be on top. My words come from the heart and are factual. My mother and I were polar opposites as she was a sugar coater even when it came down to speaking with medical professionals. And thank you for your kind words of inspiration, Teri4077!
(0)

As a few weeks have gone by, and my physical and mental exhaustion grows worse, I find myself in a place I never wanted to be. One night he gets up every half hour or so-"I need coffee", " you're starving me", " take me home", etc. I swear I am trying, but I cannot get any good rest. Then another night he stays asleep and gets up at 9 am, but I keep checking on him-afraid that he may have stopped breathing. He fights going back to bed, puts his clothes on and his teeth in, yet just an hour or so before he can't even stand and I have to wheel him to bed in a transport chair. I have found wonderful quotes on patience, I take advantage of any quiet moments in the morning to meditate. I Stretch and exercise and gird myself for the day-drink water, put the first load of wash in. Once he's awake - most likely by 6, then the entire day is spent tending to his whims, his needs, his obsessions, and packing for our move. Tonight we are watching baseball, which for me is like watching paint dry. I sit here answering literally question after question about a game I have grown to hate, and about anything that randomly pops into his mixed up mind. I want to scream and never stop. Eventually I may get him tucked into bed only to begin again. I am here 24/7 with an occasional 2 hours to myself if his daughter decides to come by, but even then I just try to breathe. He has let our dog out three times and I have to go get the little bugger. I know we are in this together, but these days and nights are literally killing some of us. As for me, I would rather it be sooner than later.
(2)

She1934,
Listening, reading. Today I visited you here, just wanted you to know.
Support and love to you in your struggle.
(1)

Wow, that sounded awful. I am really sorry. I just cannot seem to function well this week.
(1)

She, how can you go on, sweetie? Sounds as if you've hit the wall, and no end in sight? Do you need to make a change? Maybe a big one?
(0)

She1934, can you put an earbud in one ear and listen to music or watch an YouTube video or rent a movie to watch on a tablet while the baseball game is playing on the TV? This strategy has got me through three years of streaming Lawrence Welk variety shows and the same Daniel O’Donnell video every Sunday. The one ear technique leaves you the opportunity to reply to you LO’s comments.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter