Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4 5
Garden Artist, did you see Bookluver's white and red ghosts? She explained how to make them.. In your case, you would use paste over the styrofoam head, let it dry, and there's no head holding up the ghost.
(1)

GardenArtist, I just googled turkey ghost and up came this cartoon character pointing to 'a turkey ghost' Maybe it is the ghost of the turkey that they justckilled off so they could eat turkey.
(0)

Okay, what's a turkey ghost? Am I missing something here? I never was very up-to-date on contemporary ideas!

Stacey, one of the gardening forums I used to visit had a harvest contest in which other members voted for photos of best, worst, and other categories of produce. I honestly don't even remember at this point contributing to the idea of pumpkin avatars here, so I certainly wouldn't have any objections one way or the other to a contest. Competitors might also want to set up a PhotoBucket or other offsite photo storage site to post competitive photos since we can't post them here.

I would like to change direction a bit and share information on some interesting Halloween displays I saw yesterday.

One was at a house in which a giant spider web, anchored to the roof, was spread out about 30' from the roof in both directions (straight out to the front as well as to the side), taking up about half the lawn. It really was quite lovely and graceful. Once the giant spider comes though, it could be very frightful.

I was thinking of doing that but instead make a smiling pink Breast Cancer spider, with big eyes and sweet smiling lips. Who says a spider has to be menacing?

Another was a house with the most beautiful and lovely ghosts. They were actually dreamy, like ballerinas moving effortlessly and so gracefully across a stage. The ghosts were made of some white frothy material, perhaps nylon or some type of wedding fabric, with I'm guessing at least about 6 yards of material in all.

The material was anchored to the center "body" in such a way that it moved gently with the wind, just as if it were in fact a dancer. One ghost was on each side of the front sidewalk up to the house.

If you've ever watched flags flutter in a strong breeze, the effect was the same.

There was a good wind last night, so watching them was like watching an impromptu dance.

They're going to be my models. I might use old sheets instead of bridal material, a foam head covered with sheets with a few features, and stick the base of the long center "bodies" in the ground and watch them dance with the wind.

Since we have a mayoral election this November, just for the heck of it I might add a political support sign for the mayoral candidate for whom I probably will vote.
(1)

Stacey, prizes? The pumpkin carving ideas came from glad and garden artist, and hope agreed. We should ask them, because I am really not the pumpkin lady, I am the turkey ghost.
(0)

Stacey, that's such a cute observation, and so appropriate for Halloween! No, it's not an eyeball, but rather a Heavenly Blue morning glory with a happy little bee gathering pollen for his or her beehive.
(1)

Gladimhere, I Love Your Pumpkin, very original! GARDENARTIST, Is that an eyeball in your Avatar? ? I'll try enlarging to see it better! I love this thread too! Wish the images could be better or we could post actual pix! Good luck everyone, Is ther going to be prizes awarded? Lol!
(1)

I can't take credit, but this pumpkin was carved by my Very talented Eldest Son last year. One of his many interests, besides being a Super Dad to my Beautiful Grandson's, is Salt Water Aquariums, and he has a huge one in his livingroom, filled with amazing and colorfulplants and fish, its Gorgeous! So, he found just the perfect round pumpkin, that would hold a fish bowl,added a spooky Skull, and other Haloweeny stuff, and even bubbles and lighting. The kids loved it, and Rob won 1st prize at his work place Pumpkin Carving Contest! These days, my Pumpkin for Halloween consists of plugging a craft store pumpkin into the wall, lol, but I have 4 grown kids, so I've carved a few hundred pumpkins in my life, and those days are over, too bloody much messy work! Unless one of my Grandies wants to, that is! I'll do anything for kisses from them!
(1)

Just P'M'ed Glad with a link to some Halloween siggies. PM me if you want that link; it would be deleted if I posted in one of the messages boxes because of its dot com URL.
(2)

Thank you, GA. Learn something new everyday. Isn't this forum amazing?!
(2)

Glad, "siggies" (sort for signatures) are graphics popular a dozen or so years ago on the now defunct Better Homes & Gardens and Midwest Living forums. Some of the posters were very skilled with photographic and artwork manipulation.

If I recall correctly, there were some websites that posted the basic graphics for free downloading. Delphi used to be one. Posters with Photoshop or other high end graphics software downloaded them, added vector images, manipulated and created specific siggies for other posters, sometimes adding names or seasonal greetings.

I had hundreds of them. They may still be used in forums which accommodate graphics, but I haven't seen any in years. Some of the ones made for me were cute, others were beautiful. I still add them to e-mails occasionally.

It was always fun to add a specific siggie to a relevant post, linking the subject matter to the graphics. We used to have a lot of fun with them.
(3)

There they are, the blackdogmina jack-o-lantern lights! Like that! wondered what your new avatar was, just now zoomed in to see.
(1)

Pumpkin siggies?
(2)

OK, Sendme.....I'm in, but for the moment, best I can do are my jack-o-lantern lights bracing the front door (and my lovely little pumpkins in the wreath, which I know aren't visible in this photo....sorry)....give me a moment.....or 2 or 3 or.....
(3)

Looking for my pumpkins siggies made by cyber artists some years ago....
(2)

Oh, found it this time. Maybe it takes time for AC to allow it?
(1)

Seeing the eagle fly now, Glad. You are right, some amazing avatars on here. Did anyone see Hope's donkey, now donkey on a pumpkin?
(2)

Count me in! One carved pumpkin on the way. :)
(3)

Tail at 4 and feet and claws at 7.
(2)

Send it is an eagle. Head and beak at about 10 o'clock. Wing at 2 o'clock. Book's trick when she cannot tell what an image is? Copy it into a word document, then she can see it.

No, yard still looks awful! Maybe in the spring, early...
(2)

You could decorate the front porch before moving in.
Did you get the yard, plants fixed, or is that for later?
(1)

My kindle shows your avatar as very small, so I don't see what the picture is? What is it?
(1)

Har-d-har-har, what do you mean glad?????
(1)

Or a pumpkin doughnut with an orange bell pepper?
(2)

Send, you are confusing me is that an exploding pumpkin?
(1)

Lost, she got lost in a pumpkin patch, after the technical lessons, her brain exploded, just like an exploding pumpkin, so there she goes, after another piece of pie....
(2)

O
(0)

Would be great if I could find myway here again.
(1)

So many great images out there!
(0)

I will do the carving after the move in a couple of weeks.
(0)

Native American site with article about Sugar Pumpkins, less than four pounds helped me!
(1)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter