Follow

All of a sudden, I have like six buttons coming down the left side of the site that obscure the first few words of each line of a question. Facebook, Google, Inst! A printing icon and a few more. I see no way to get rid of them. Anybody know what's going on?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Updating this thread started by Maggie. We experience problems with the site, maybe it is being hacked?
(0)

We are going out for haircut/his.
(0)

Yes, freqflyer, read through the typos, between the lines, and read what we want into it. All those things, so fun.
(0)

Sendmehelp, I thought about doing that, but then I thought most people on this website can read through the typos :P
(0)

It was BOOKLUVR who showed me how to find my recent activity.
Thanks book. Love your license plate. Upside down b l o n d e !
Just keep changing those avatars to keep us laughing!
(0)

Fregflyer, What about reporting our own posts when we've goofed?
By clicking on "report this post", then explaining in the following post:
" Ihave reported myself due to errors and regrets in the preceding post",
Then, report your explanation also.
Silly maybe, but I have to do checks and balances with banking too.
Whatever works. I am totally jealous of people who just let it all hang out and could care less. They seem so free!
(0)

Half-full, this did not come out of my empty head, but someone suggested to go to "more", click, then "activity", click. Your most recent visits are there.
Yay! I learned it, probably from Globetrotter, thanks!
(0)

I have noticed that the site is slow...seems to take a long time to register keystrokes which has a tendency to interfere with my train of thought...so my scattered ideas become more scattered.

I too wish we could edit our own posts.

I use firefox and still get the boxes but I ignore them.

I have never accessed agingcare from my email...so I have not noticed problems with that.

wish we could track last discussions/forums we were reading - Like an aging care history... so we could easily check back on discussions we were part of before our day or week went crazy...
(0)

Sendme2help, that is so common when it comes to misinterpretations or twisting words.... I've been on forums since 1999 and seen it all. What I enjoy about this website [Aging Care] is that everyone is so nice to each other. If there is a falling out, it will be quickly remedied with apologies and/or corrections.

Of course with today's technology and different devices one uses to get on this forum, seems like automatic spell check can make for some interesting reading :)

I just wish we could edit our own postings after its been placed on the forum. My proof-reading has always been terrible, and as I get older it's even worse :P Like today I wrote about siblings visiting their "mother" and it came to read "money".... was that a real slip or not? Oops.
(1)

Personally, I have just been amazed how people in general can misinterpret or twist something I posted into something not meant at all, but that too is okay. It is quite a challenge for me to communicate in a tactful manner, and I have found it is better just to let it go unexplained. The technology is also quite a challenge for me and I really appreciate when someone takes the time to explain it to me. I am being patient, and as Jessebelle has explained to me, just holding back before posting can help. She always carefully considers before posting. Today, I just let it fly, and had so much fun just discussing people's name changes, and the avatars are great. I especially love HOPE' s donkey!
(2)

I googled Stacey B aging care, and 3 articles came up, all with Stacey B in the leader, but that could be ANY Stacey B! I'm not concerned!
(0)

Cwillie, I Love that!
(1)

One thing I tend to do is look for a writer by whatever photo they have next to their posting, if any. I would be thinking that person who had a photo of a black cat in a basket hasn't written in awhile only to find out that person had changed photos months ago... oops.

I think some writers here are afraid someone close to them will find out something about themselves. For example, I wouldn't want my Dad to find out what I had been saying about him and Mom. Oh, nothing bad, just frustrating things that are exhausting me. Maybe they need to hear the truth from my side of the table.

cwillie, oh that is funny, your sister reading your post and not knowing it is you :)
(3)

Stacey, I haven't read any of the oldest posts but I don't think anyone on here has really said anything libellous, just uncomfortable truths. I debated myself whether to recommend the site to my sister so she could learn a little bit about how to set boundaries with her MIL. The other day she was telling me about some of the caregiver stories she had read, mine among them, and she didn't have a clue! LOL
(4)

GARDENARTIST freqflyer, Cwillie, THANK YOU! it seems like everyone is on the paranoia bandwagon, and a little too late, if they were REALLY CONCERNED with Privacy issues, Gheez. I hate that a lot of people are freaking out about these silly social media icons now front and center, and everybody changing up their Identity! Now I have to try to figure out who everyone is, and I was just getting started and comfortable! I'M NOT CHANGING WHO I AM ON HERE!
(4)

Think I am going to change my screen name
(2)

I had never thought to google my forum name together with aging care, seems you can follow someone there better than when you use search the site search!
As for the emails, I have them sent to my secondary address. I only go there once a week, so I usually just delete them unread, but I sometimes will notice a thread or message that I had skipped over on my news feed.
(2)

GardenArtiist, I got google hits for my screen name.... I had typed in ["Freqflyer" Aging Care]. My boss always chuckles because if it is on the Internet, he knows I can find it.

I remember when cellphones first came out on the horizon decades ago, I could hear conversations bleeding across onto my police/fire scanner. That doesn't happen any more with the newer technology.

And now with people Tweeting, saying all sorts of rude and cruel things, don't people realize that can come back to haunt them?

I don't Facebook, don't Tweet, don't Intragram... recently I cancelled my account on LinkedIn. Information overload. I even have my credit frozen in all 3 of the credit bureaus. It's too easy to gather up information on someone and use their credit.

As for the email notification on this website here, I stopped that months ago. I spent more time trying to get those emails in order by date than I did in reading the posts. Then I would get zero email. The website said there was a problem with my email, so I gave them another to use, few days later problem with that email, so back to the original email. Back and forth. Was wasting too much time.

I just log on and start with the first post I see and keep scrolling down. If I had written an original Question or Discussion, and didn't see it scrolling, I would use the SEARCH SITE box and put in a key word plus 2015, to help narrow it down.
(2)

Has anyone begun receiving a summary of daily posts? I used to get these in the past but they were multiple duplicates of posts so I opted out.

Suddenly I got one today, at an e-mail address I no longer use.

The address from which the notifications are coming is:

"AgingCare Daily Questions" notifications@agingcare.com"

Has this happened to anyone else?
(2)

It boggles my mind that people would ever think what they write online would be considered private. There is definitely a perception of anonymity, that is why so many feel free to spew hate and bigotry that they would never have the courage to reveal face to face, but surely we should all know by now that the perception is not reality. We all need to be mindful of what we say and do online.
As for googling answers on the site, that is how I got here in the first place, googling all my questions and searching for answers, and I'm extremely glad I found Aging Care!
(5)

Phoenix, sometime ago we had a short discussion on the fact that we've all become commodities, as has our personal information as well as online activity. That personal information has saleable value. And commercial entities are going to exploit that value if they can. Facebook is a primary example.

Unfortunately, participating online puts us in a situation of having to take as many precautions as possible, but I doubt that few do beyond just getting anti-virus, firewalls and similar protection.

One of the real issues are the terms and conditions (TOS) of site participation. People jump on the social media bandwagon without reading those TOS provisions. If you're on Facebook, read their's, carefully. And don't for a moment think that what your might post there isn't being catalogued for sale.

From what I can tell, there's been a lot of accommodation to the social media phenomena. At least 3 of my favorite, well respected, forums closed last year with the advice to continue interacting with people on social media. No way.

How Google catalogues and indexes posts isn't clearly understood by me. I just googled "Aging Care, Garden Artist" and didn't get any hits for my own posts, but did find one in which someone posted and responded to a post of mine. So of over 2400 answers I wrote, I wasn't able to find any through a general Google search. Go figure....I guess my answers aren't worthy enough to be catalogued, which is fine with me!

But specific posts can be googled and hits returned.

As to posting here, I agree that editing and deletion is desirable. It's not unusual for someone to post and later want to edit, or even delete it, especially if it was done in the heat of the moment and regretted later.

But even editing doesn't guarantee that what was written initially doesn't remain on the host's servers.

Even outside of cyberspace, there's been a significant increase in people monitoring - look how many closed circuit cameras are in operation today, from banks, retail stores and more to 2 traffic cameras mounted in each of the 4 corners of intersections. That might not occur in very rural areas, but in my metropolitan area, it's the norm in one city. Others are gradually moving toward more intersection surveillance.
(3)

I noticed those six buttons too.

"Nothing is private.. You could always just google any question from this site and it will come up.. They are now making it easier to post to other social networks..."

I'm uncomfortable with this and reluctant to post. Especially since we can't edit or delete posts. I'm on other forums and they have a "preview post" feature. I wish this site had that.
(2)

Sendme, since you've commented on this thread/discussion, the quickest way to find it... see the top right box titled MY ACCOUNT. Click on MORE. Either options will let you find it. ACTIVITY is all your posted comments. FOLLOWING - you're automatically following the discussion when you comment.

For me, a quicker way to find a thread I like due to pertinent information, I copy and paste the link on top to my NOTE APP with a short note on it - like "sundowning tips"
(2)

Would like to know from tech if it is okay to activate e-mail notifications again without the repeated e-mails??? But then, I am not sure that I will be able to find this thread again, unless I write it down and enter it into the search bar.
It used to be much easier to navigate around the site.
I will be patient, however.
(0)

Patrice and others: AC is fixing the problems. I too had some so I changed some of my settings to private.
I used to go to my e-mail, click on "see my hug", or just click on "newsfeed" then I would get to the site to read, however, I had to "Log In" to post an answer.

Not being computer literate, I asked my husband why the left-sided [ f ] [tweeter]
[g] [in] etc. is often covering the posts I am trying to read. He said it has to do with cross-browser compatibility. People on mobiles, I-phones, and regular computers will all have different issues. To see everything, people have told me
that they cannot see some things (instant messaging) until they are on their computers.
Maggie, to get rid of that issue, I make the page larger, move it around, etc. Using a Kindle here. Alternatively, I have gone off the site and returned. Caregiving is just too frustrating to be dealing with technical issues when trying to contact the only lifeline to others who can help us.
If we are patient with the tech-persons on AC, they will shake it all out, in the meantime, I am putting up more twinkle lights. (Shopgirl in movie: You've Got Mail).
AC, really appreciate the web site security.
(2)

Oh, I use a desk top computer.... just don't have a need for any of those other devices. My cellphone is just that, a telephone with text ability and hate to text... my OCD kicks in and it takes me 15 minutes to type 2 sentences... I might has well had called the person :P
(0)

GardenArtist, one thing I like by using Firefox for Aging Care is that in the bottom right corner of this reply box are small dots..... put the Mouse over the dots and a double arrow will show up, now drag down the box.... bravo, a super large box to write in ;)

Before I found this, or had been using IE, the box was so small it made it difficult to proof read. Or if I was typing a short novel, scrolling back and forth to make sure I wasn't repeating myself.
(0)

I saw that further responses were posted, tried to answer, logged in then couldn't find the question. I use my iPhone 5c, I think (I get kids hand me downs). Finally found it on standard view but can't type from iPhone there because you can't see what you write then the blue on the screen covers the post this message button. So I go back to mobile view, have to sign in again. When I sign in to answer a question it then takes me to the top of the questions which is not the same list I was looking at. Frustrated is putting it mildly!! 😱. I use my safari which thinks opens in Google. When I would click on an email, it would take me right to the question and I would already be signed in. This is so not worth the bullsh*t. I was having a "me " day out by the pool, had a hot flash and had to come inside for the ac. I can't figure it out, everyday it is a new problem. Half of the time I forget the question that i was originally trying to answer. 😎
(0)

Just tried the Google link - it's for Google bookmarks, not the Google search site. Scratch that link for me.
(0)

Patrice, I haven't had any similar problems since the Admin post above, although I recall when I first joined last year there was definitely a problem with e-mail notification. Sometimes I didn't get any; sometimes I got multiple notices for the same post. I eventually disabled it.
There may also be a problem with your browser - which one are you using?

I also had trouble with other sites until the cable rep discovered water in the outside cable connection. Since then there will be periodic freezes in accessing sites, and IE 11 still crashes, but I think those are software problems specific to MS software.

I just accessed the site through Firefox - FF, like you, no links on the left side.

Others have told me Firefox is a superior browser, and in many ways it is.

I guess it depends on whether or you a poster would want to use the links. I might use the Google one, but that's all.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter