Follow

As I know we all agree, the terrible people periods of time when we couldn’t see our Dear Ones were awful for all parties concerned.

The combination time frames of my LO’s Covid infections, a case of c.Diff and finally my own bout of Covid all served to make for long painful gaps in contact and MANY CONCERNS over whether we find that she’d lost ground cognitively (which we were resigned to being inevitable), or whether she’d be depleted, thinner, less connected………?

By the Grace of God, the answer to our unspoken questions was NONE OF THE ABOVE.

She is feisty, inquisitive, reasonably well focused, plump, with it….in short every prayer answered.

I was thinking on my way home from this morning’s visit how fervently I hoped that many of you would have found similar situations in your first visits after the lockdown was lifted (very recently here).

I did lose people very dear to me during the worst of it, but how blessed I feel to be able to say “So Long, Kiddo, I’ll see you in a day or two!”

Hoping many of you are still able to do the same.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Mother somehow came through COVID without contracting it, even though the family she lives with (brothers--6 adults living on one house) all had it and brother SHOULD have been hospitalized, he was so sick. Mother didn't even get a sniffle.

She's vaccinated, her beloved BINGO has been reinstated once a week and she goes. And that's the ONLY place she goes. Literally, nowhere else. She got very anxious during COVID, I don't know why, I've never seen anyone so protected from it---and it's taking some time for the anxiety to cease.

ALL my grandkids and their parents had it, so we got to hang out with them. DH traveled quite a bit, as he was going crazy from working from home. I was barely out of chemotherapy and for a few months I was a little anxious, but still had my absolutely normal life.

It was a learning experience, for sure. But I remember polio--so maybe being a bit older helped me have the perspective that this would pass.

The ONLY place I go that requires a mask is my drs offices and then once I am in the exam room, masks can come off. That's nice.

Now I have to figure out how to deal with the mask-acne.
(1)

AnnReid: That is great news. I lost my sister in law, when she, an Alzheimer's patient, contracted COVID from a caregiver.
(0)

I love to hear happy news, especially after the past year+. We had the unfortunate timing of placing my Dad in a nursing home and they went on lockdown that day. Today I am moving him to what I hope and pray is a better nursing home. Where he's been has been hell. I have never seen his room and it took over a year and lots of questions to get pictures.. OMG. I cried. My poor, sweet father has been basically crammed in a corner of a crowded room. Although he does not have a dementia/Alzheimer's diagnosis, I feel this is where we are now because so much time stuck in one tiny space has brought a mental decline that breaks my heart. Prisoner's have better accommodations. But today is moving day and if it's not too much to ask, please keep him in your thoughts and prayers that this transfer is the best for him. Thank you all for sharing your stories and challenges, it truly helps to know we are not alone. And I hope visit restrictions will end soon, for all our sakes. Be blessed!
(0)

Love Happy Endings. Glad your Prayers were answered.
I feel the Lockdowns were unnecessary and did a lot of damage to our Loved Ones.
(3)

I'm so glad to hear that your mother came through the pandemic with flying colors! So did mine! They are tougher than we gave them credit for, and are real survivers! While I am thankful for this, my sympathies go out to those whose loved ones had a difficult time, and I hope that as things open up and visits are more frequent the loved ones will be doing better.
(2)

Sadly, we had months at a time with no face to face visits. Even now, we are only permitted 2 in- room only visits a week. My mom is in memory care and it's really taken a toll on all of us. They are all fully vaccinated and she had covid in December! She's 86 years old and would much rather have quality time with her family. Frustrating...
(2)

What a great reassuring post! So glad you found her in good spirits and doing well
(2)

So happy for you! I only had a short while that I couldn't see my LO and see how he was doing and it was hell so I feel for those of you who had to endure a long time without a visit. God bless!
(2)

Happy news, AnnReid! PTL!
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter