Follow

I have fell in the past, but I feel I have only lost my confidence. Anyone out there who can tell me what I should do. I own my own home.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Who told you that you cannot live alone anymore?
We need more information.
(1)

AndSoItGoes,

My mother’s OT and PT were amazing! They think of things that we don’t always see.

My mom had Parkinson’s disease and she really struggled to get in and out of bed.

The OT took a look at her bedroom and she said, “Do you mind if we rearrange the furniture?” Mom was able to do better with her new configuration of the furniture.

She also had me order a half rail for the bed which allowed her to grab onto something to balance herself better.
(0)

The word "can't" has a very specific meaning. Does that meaning apply here? If not, you've been given an "opinion" or a "recommendation."

Medical people told my mother she "couldn't" sit on a porcelain toilet. Then a more freethinking OT showed up and said, "let's try it." That was six years ago and she's still using her regular toilet. (We added grab bars in the bathroom, of course.)

The fall-prevention tips others have shared are good ones--for any age. Getting recommendations from a home-health therapist is also a good idea. Just take it all with a grain of salt.
(1)

More:
Walk, don't run.
Never rush to get the door or answer the phone.

If there is clutter, organize and move it. Nothing at all in your 3-4 ft. wide pathways through the house.
Stop climbing on ladders and step stools.
The above are things you will now need help with, but may make the difference on whether you stay at home or not.

If you are taking Statins (meds for high cholesterol) they cause falls.
Discuss with your doctor, and try to correct with diet.

And follow JoAnn's advice: Turn on those lights!
Install night lights on the way to the bathroom.
(3)

Did someone tell you this or because of your falls, you feel they will.

Seems to be your still pretty independent. I am almost 74. I live in a split level and falling is a concern of mine. I found I can no longer wear flip flops. I do have a pair of sandals I love with no backs but see where I may not be wearing them much longer. I run around in my house bare footed. I find I do better without shoes.

I agree, ask your doctor for an order for in home therapy. A therapist will help you find out what you need and exercises to help strengthen u. Maybe you will need a cane or a walker. Maybe just slowing down and being careful. The therapist should be able to tell you how to make ur home safer. Throw rugs are a no no.

Do you remember your Mom saying "pick up your feet" when u tripped. Same thing now ur older, pick up your feet. I find I can no longer do my steps in the dark. So turn on those lights.
(5)

Who told you this? Your doctor? Your family? Why were you told this?

Why did you fall? Do you think physical and occupational therapy would help?

Would you be willing to ask your doctor if he/she could order home health for you? These exercises will help you gain strength and also work on balancing issues.

You say in your profile that you plan on cutting back on driving. Have you had frequent driving accidents?
(2)

First, learn to slow down, hold onto grab bars and railings, wear safe shoes, and then slow down some more.

Second, build a support system now. But if you have already been "told?" you cannot live alone, is that true? Can you hire someone to come and help you?
(3)

I think you should give serious consideration to what you have been told. Even if you are able to overcome this setback you will continue to age and making practical plans now that can take you into the future is the only wise choice - it will be much better to be involved in the process than to have no say at all if you have any kind of medical crisis in the future.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter