Follow

Just learned and verified from Co-ordinator that the State Pa. gets all the caregiver $$ back if you have to sell your house! So it's just a loan. She said I should have been told this but wasn't. So after 12 yrs house is worth 0! To top it off they caught bro in law "caregiver" fraudulent when I was hospitalized and he wrote 12 hours on the timesheet! Thankfully he moved good riddance. Family wants me to sell the house since the market is up but I want to stay here but not sure if I can afford it. Get the house out of your name if you are care getter is something to consider imo

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Well... yeah. The taxpayers are footing the bill, so the state to make back as much as they can. Giving away a house/putting it in someone else's name won't help, that's fraud, and they'll consider it a gift.

No one gets a free lunch.
(2)

The house is an exempt asset until you sell it. They actually don't get paid back if you are still living. What happens is the proceeds of the house will have to be used for your continuing care. So Medicaid stops. If BIL has been your caretaker, you will now pay him not Medicaid. When you spend this down, then you apply for Medicaid again. Every State is different but check with your caseworker to see if this is how it works in ur State.

When you pass, Medicaid will put a lean on the house that will have to be satisfied when sold. Medicaid has to try and recoup money they have expended for someone's care.
(1)

I would imagine there is language about home liens in an agreement when you requested and needed the caregiver services. Check that document for language.
(1)

I’d assume you’re speaking of care provided through Medicaid. There is a program called Medicaid Estate Recovery that is designed to repay the government for the cost of caregiving. It includes homes. If your needs cannot be sufficiently met in your home, there are places with Medicaid rooms to provide care. You would have had to remove the house from your name 5 years prior to using Medicaid for it not to be part of estate recovery. It’s not wrong of the government to attempt to be repaid for cost of care. I wish you the best in deciding your next move
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter