Follow

then......I got in golf cart and followed in pursuit down our busy rural road. Ten years ago we adopted an 18 month old trained lab. No doubt he has been trained along with his litter as a service animal. Splash is his name.

He's been a faithful companion, great disposition, faithful, loving and his only fault is he runs. We're on five acres so we have a gate and fenced in yard. We replaced gate to a remote control gate about 10 days ago. Splash has escaped three times in the first six days of new gate. (He's been hit on the road three times over the last ten years.)

A few days ago, I watched from the house (in my wheelchair) as Splash squeezed through the gate. I went to get my shoes and keys to the van. When I got to back door, I called for my husband, and called and called.

Here's what happened...Splash squeezes through gate and then our 12 year old lab ran like the wind down the driveway and right. He looked like an Amtrak running in the wind.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
You clearly need to do something about the gate to make it so it won't fit Splashes squeezing through. To uproot his life and make yourself unhappy by his departure is heartbreaking and unnecessary imo. I could never do it. Also might consider a secondary enclosed area added on so if he squeezes through he is still contained at home.
(1)

LN,

I am truly sorry that you won’t have Splash anymore but you’re absolutely doing the right thing. I couldn’t watch a dog being abused, nor could I upset my husband if he became agitated by Splash. I am glad that Splash is going to live with family and you can visit. I hope it all works out. You will miss him living with you.

I am always amazed how smart animals are. My friend installed an invisible fence because they live on a golf course and aren’t allowed to put up a privacy fence.

Anyway, their dog is like Houdini. He is adorable but is an escape artist! He has figured out that if he tilts his head a certain way that he can get out of the yard. It’s hysterical!

My friend is at work when he escapes. He roams the neighborhood. The neighbors complain that he is out and about. He escapes when their teenage daughter comes home from school and opens the door. He’s really fast.

Best wishes to you, your family and Splash.
(1)

Splash is a service animal that my husband got for me when I didn't have ability to walk. We've been together for ten years and thankfully my daughter and I have similar traits that while he feels lost right now at their house, he is adjusting.

We hope once I get the latch to go with the automatic gate opener - he and Jack Jack can visit and run in our yard. While I know it's the best thing for Splash I also realize that he has been unable to connect with DH for the last few years.

Memories can't be erased and I'm so thankful for photos - memories keep us going - wonderful memories!
(1)

I am so glad Splash is going to live with family. I would not be able to give up a pet but if he is getting hit in the face, then I am glad he is somewhere safer.
I am sorry, it must be so hard for you
(1)

As painful as it is, our daughter and son in law picked Splash up along with his food and things. My wonderful husband is agitated with him, and he's a service dog. He hit him in the face and told him he was a bad dog.

For the benefit of a dog who is 12 years old (10.5 years with us) it is time for Splash to visit with JackJack (Yorkie of our daughter). They will be good to him and once he is settled I hope to go and visit.

My DH doesn't want him in the house anymore. I'm the one who will miss Splash so much. What a sight that must be taking them walking. One little tiny dog and one yellow lab. Hopefully I'll get the gate fixed as now my husband is going through it to a busy road. I've installed a gate opener and now I've got to get the gate latch to match the opener.

Sometimes it's painful to do what is right - and this is right for our dog now. Thanks for your thoughts.
(4)

I agree with Alvadeer, don’t get rid of your pet. If you can afford it get a better fence. My husband has a chihuahua and this dog picks up on my husband’s feelings. I know when something is going on but my problem is I don’t know what.
What I’m saying is animals are good if you have any type of sickness.
(0)

Is there some possibility of better fencing or gate? That would be my first choice in all this. I would not give up a pet that is a wonderful animal and a source of joy to you both.
What options are you considering?
Wishing you the best.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter