Follow

OWL, the voice of older women, posted this on their Facebook page today:

PBS will premiere a new documentary on caregiving, "Caring for Mom & Dad" on May 7th (check local listings for times). The documentary seeks to answer the questions of caregiving and explore the everyday emotional, health, and financial challenges that caregivers face.
Narrated by Meryl Streep, the film tells the stories of caregiving families and their experiences. The film will be available for online streaming within 24 hours of the premiere.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
It sounds like it may be a series of documentaries. I don't have access to a TV, so I'm glad we can stream it to our computers.
(0)

Jessie, thanks for the tip about this show.
(1)

Thanks for the heads up on this program.
(1)

I'll be watching. Thanks.
(1)

Jessie, thanks for sharing this. I found OWL's facebook page and shared the announcement on my timeline. Raise awareness!
(1)

Thank you for sharing and caring! Isn't it amazing how this type of need is only aired on PBS while violenence and sex is aired on the typical stations? I'm most appreciative of PBS for supporting "real life" causes and educating those who care!
(2)

Looks like it will be on at 3:00 eastern time.
(0)

Jessie, thanks for posting this. Could you also post a link to the FB page for the OWL? I haven't been able to locate that. Thanks.
(0)

Certainly, though I don't know how long it will stay on the board. I'll PM the link to you, too, Carla, just in case.
(1)

Thank you for the notice. Will definately make a point to watch the broadcast.
(1)

Ok definitely watching. Thanks for the heads up
(1)

It's on tomorrow... or the day after for those of us who have to wait for them to stream it.
(0)

Dang it. I thought this would/will be a great reality show or documentary. Just goes to show you, if you have a good idea, act on it!
(1)

Caregivers and caregiving, I mean.
(0)

I think it will be a series. I went to PBS to watch some clips. There was one that I thought really interesting. It was the one about the financial needs of the caregivers. I was surprised to hear social security credits mentioned, since we had discussed that here a few weeks ago.

Many of the things in the clips were old news to me. I've been at this a long time now. One thing that dismayed me a bit is I posted a link on FB and got zero likes or replies to it. I mean, I can post a link to a cute dog and get a ton of likes and a long discussion about the merits of cute dogs. Nada on the caregiving link. Discouraging -- I guess it isn't cute or sexy enough.
(3)

I just saw that the series is not going to premiere on Alabama Public Television until Sunday, May 10, at 6:00 PM. If you're in Alabama, check your local listing if you are going to watch using APT.
(0)

Dear JessieBelle, I have a background in show biz. I've been reading this site for only a short while. It occurred to me it is an untapped topic to a tv series. Then, all of a sudden, PBS has beat me to it. I think this is why few people responded to your FB post. Caregiving is just now hitting the attention of the general public.

We've seen many things about Baby Boomers retiring and what that will mean to the economy. There is precious little about Baby Boomers using their "retirement years" caring for their parents, relatives, damaged siblings, et al.

As you've probably read here, doctors are only now becoming aware of the negative health effects of 24/7 caregiving.

You aren't being ignored. You are just ahead of the crowd.

Warm wishes to you, Pat
(1)

I checked all 3 of our separate PBS stations here in the Nations Capitol and not one of them is showing said show this evening. I will just have to wait and see if it will be on at a later date.

I know I could probably watch it on the computer, but I am not keen of sitting at my desk to watch TV :P
(0)

Initially, here the PBS schedule showed it was being shown today. Now that information has changed and will be broadcast May 17. Check your local PBS station schedules.
(0)

Freqflyer, the series will most likely air on your state's public TV station. You can check their schedule to see when it is. Here in Alabama it is Sunday at 6:00. Wouldn't you know they are jerking us caregivers around again? We'll have to write letters of protest. We should be treated like the prime timers on major networks that we know we deserve! :P
(0)

Jessie, I am able to type in the title of the show into my TV cable info page and nothing by that name came up at all, even for the rest of the month. I even went on line to all 3 of the PBS stations and there's nothing. Oh well. Those here who are able to view it let us know what you think.
(1)

PBS is supposed to stream it online, too. It will probably be on their website and perhaps on Hulu, too. They wrote it would be the day after the premier, but I'm beginning to wonder what that day really is. I'll let you know when I find it somewhere.
(0)

Okay -- it is online. Google PBS Caring for Mom and Dad. The first link that I got was the live stream. I didn't click it yet, but I am about to... or as we say here in the South, I'm fixin' to.
(0)

Oops -- it was the second link on google. You'll be able to tell.
(0)

I'm watching it now on Anthony and it is so real. I hope everyone can watch.
(0)

There was no mention of another episode. I don't know if this one episode was it or not. The stories were so similar to the ones we hear in the group, but there was nothing about elders who weren't so nice. And, of course, there was no mention of poop.
(0)

Jessie, look at the crediits. What is the year? I found an old episode from a couple of years ago.
(0)

I didn't watch the credits to see when it was made. The one that was advertised is the one that is available at PBS now. It lasted a little over 54 min. Is it the one you watched? It was very heartening to me to see that some employers are starting to allow time for family caregivers. I thought that was great.
(0)

Is the one you're referring to narrated by Merril Streep. If so, that's the one.
(0)

I didn't watch. I have heard that some employers are allowing time for family caregivers. And plus, I applied for a position a few weeks ago, had my caregiving for the past four years right out there and within about five days heard I had made the first cut. Then just a bit ago got another email that I made the second cut. Two more phases to go. Please let this work out for me!
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter