Follow

An elderly friend of ours, stroke victim, and his inexperienced, paid caregiver got into an altercation. Mostly verbal, with mutual physical contact. The caregiver shared, "I could have snapped his neck." The friend called 911 and what psych. in-patiented. It's my gut feeling that, no matter how my friend might try to manipulate his way back home, and minimize the incident, and perhaps the caretakers words were "just an expression," but, these two guys shouldn't be working together. Sorry the first window duplicated the beginning of this. We're going to visit the patient. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Not a good situation, I agree caregiver needs to go. I wish there were more stringent guidelines on this occupation. You never know what you get to they are there for awhile. We have a caregiver for our Mom who said she could cook and now doesn't. She argues with her that the house is too warm, I wrote in the journal that it's time for summer clothes now that Mom has the heat on but I don't think she bothers to read anything. She is nothing more than a warm body in the house.
(1)

That caregiver needs to GO !!! I had a broken leg from a charge with dementia, and she was kicking me while I was down, all I tried to do was get away from her... but for a paid caregiver to say this outloud??? No, not a good situation.... he needs someone who understand how to handle these situations better.... good luck and let us know what happens....
(0)

Wow. Although I do understand, I have to wonder what kind of person the caregiver really is. I have never been struck by my patients but I did have one who tried, he did end up hurting me when he grabbed my hands and squeezed them so hard I thought the bones would break. Never would I have hit him since he suffered from Dementia. I was even afraid to try to free my hands, I was worried it may hurt him in some way. I wonder about the temperment of the caregiver. Just like anyone else, I think the patient can feel what you give off (frustration, anger, etc) and this may cause a change in behavior or reaction to a person.
(0)

Hello Willowrose, I cannot agree with you more, there should absolutely be a new caretaker, for the caretakers protection, and especially for the protection of the elderly stroke victim. Even if the caretaker never ever intends to hurt his client, physical contact (fighting) is dangerous, and both the caretaker, and the stroke victim, especially the stroke victim, could suffer severe medical ramifications, and the caretaker would be held legally responsible by the local District Attorney's Office. Therefore, I would recommend, in my opinion, that you, or family members of the person reciving care, find a new caregiver. The discharge nurse at the hospital can help with that, so can your local caregiver alliance agency. Or, if insurance is paying for the caregiver, the insurance company, if the stroke victim has a medicare advantage plan, will have a list of caregivers you and or family members can interview before chosing to hire the next caregiver.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter