Follow

I knew the warnings. But I was still surprised when my latest doctor visit led to concerns about my own cholesterol, triglycerides, and even thyroid. Mom moved out 2 months ago, though there was then another month of family drama and stress trying to get everything settled. Mom's health issues are numerous but not debilitating (yet) - heart attack, stroke, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes. I got checked out right after her stroke and got a shining star for my health at that time. No worries, right?

Then having Mom in my house, trying to watch her diet and health, and I ignored my own. My 9 to 5 job pays for lunch but it's always fast food. I stopped eating wheat bread because Mom hates wheat and it was easier to share. I was stressed and short of time so I used more prepared foods. Mom's favorite exercise is going out to eat, so I did that more, too. And then the stress.

I'm kicking myself for letting things go even when I know that caregivers' health often is neglected. Time to focus on myself.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
JessieBelle, that lull, too - you're right. With Mom's vision and balance issues, getting exercise with her was challenging. And with limited time, even a quick neighborhood walk by myself felt like a time drain.
(1)

I can so relate to this. I used to eat healthy. My husband and I ate salads and whole wheat breads. We loved vegetables and avoided fried foods. My mother's food choice is disgusting. When I cook healthy, she talks about how it's not fit to eat. So I have slipped. There has not been compromising. It has been more like I caved in trying to stop her insults of my cooking. Our diet is disgusting. Thank you for this wake-up call.

Another problem I have is the lull that has come over my own life. There are so many days now that I don't feel like doing anything. I don't want to do my work or clean house or tend the yard. There is so much to do that I feel overwhelmed, so I end up doing nothing at all. That certainly isn't healthy. Let me get my fanny out of this chair and get busy living. :D
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter