Follow

I feel I do way more for my mother than my sister does and I'm beginning to resent her. I'm also feeling overwhelmed with everything that needs to be done for my mom.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Dear Tracy,

I hear you. Siblings are tough. And you are not alone in doing more than your share and feeling overwhelmed and exhausted. Please don't be afraid to call for a family meeting. Your sister might not know how you truly feel or what you have been doing. Try and look for additional supports in the community or through church. Don't let the frustrations escalate, look for respite if you can. Thinking of you.
(0)

Tracy, everything treats caregiving in different ways. Some are excellent at doing hands-on care, others are not. Some are excellent with logistical help, others are not. We need to find what works best for us.

Ask your sister what would she prefer to do to help Mom, then I bet she would be more willing to help out. There will always seem to be an imbalance when it comes to chores, that happens all the time.

If there is a lot of hands-on work for Mom, and if Mom can budget it, maybe getting her a day time caregiver would help. The caregiver could take Mom to her doctor appointments, etc.

If Mom owns a house that has a lot of equity, maybe Mom might be happier down sizing to Assisted Living where she would have her own studio apartment, and depending on Mom's age, be around people closer to her own generation. She could make friends, thus not feel alone during the day. I know my Dad loved the place she was in.

It's something to think about.
(1)

Welcome, Tracy!

Your feelings will be very familiar to many caregivers on the forum, sadly. Would you like to say more about what sort of help your mother needs, and what's happened so far?
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter