Follow

My relative has been on hospice care three weeks. My family waited much later than they should have. She could have benefited from hospice much sooner. Our experience has been very good. Hospice delivers on medications, equipment, visits --- everything! Hospice has made her quality of life better! I'd highly recommend hospice care to others.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
We had a positive experience with hospice as well. My MIL signed herself up when the doctor said she had 3 months left to live. She/we didn’t really their services for the first 4 weeks but it was nice having their support. After a month on hospice, she decided it was time to use the hospital bed hospice provided and that is when she needed a home health aid to come clean her. None of us are trained for that and had no idea how to do it.( I would have done it in a heartbeat regardless). MIL was full of pride and dignity & having a stranger come in to clean her was actually better for her. I know it was hard for her to let us see her as she deteriorated. There was never a push to medicate her, the nurses would talk to her and her partner and other family members that were present & discuss her symptoms and ailments and make a recommendation. If MIL or someone else objected, they came up with other options to consider. MIL had pulmonary fibrosis and should have taken the morphine much sooner in my opinion, she spent her last 2 weeks where she was still fully alert, struggling to breath. 5 days before she passed is when the nurse really pushed the morphine. She knew MIL had less than a week left.
(1)

Also had positive experiences with Hospice for my two parents not that long ago.

In fact, I never even knew that Hospice had existed until I came onto this forum.
(1)

We waited much too long to get my mom on hospice. In the end, she was only on Hospice for the last 3 days of her life. It is an amazing service.
(2)

Last month I got my mom into a respite bed in hospice for a week, so I could have a break. The staff took excellent care of her. They were just awesome, and the overall space was amazing, too, with lots of room, big living spaces, and a full kitchen for family, plus a special keycard for family to come and go any hour of the day or night. Mom had her own big room with two windows looking out to the gardens, a big flat screen TV (all she really wanted), a DVD player, a stereo, a couch and some comfy chairs, and her own bathroom. I could even bring the cat for visits.

My stepmom chose a hospice bed for her last few weeks of life in 2013. The staff were amazing. There was also a private room for the family there, which is where I was sleeping the night she passed. She also had similar amenities to the hospice room mom was in. The staff wept when she died.

I don't think I could do home hospice for mom when the time comes. I think it would be too hard emotionally for me, plus I really don't have the patience or energy to play "hostess" to the people who'd want to visit her. (Plus there isn't enough space here - I'd lose all my privacy, and with it, my mind.) But I have no qualms about getting mom into hospice house when that day comes.
(3)

yes, I agree I had a positive experience. I guess not everyone is so lucky. but in my case with my dad, the help came just when I needed it the most.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter