Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
3 4 5 6 7
Thx Alva I got the gist of it. As you say "what is true to cancer of one type certainly not necessarily true of another type."

Barrel horses!!!! R breeds quarter horses! Great memories I am sure.
(1)

Golden, see my comment below.
Tried to get one link to you and only can get part of article and title with my copy paste methods. Computer illiterate here.
The gals on Flat and Fabulous were discussing this in the last week or so.

Interesting how far research is coming, and how they work with, grade and label things, and how treatment is changing. The doctor, a fellow (close to graduate--month away from hematology-oncologist) following my own case is speaking of how differently cancers are being treated. Grading has changed so much. So many fewer treatments being done that were so lethal and tough to take. She LOVES it, says it is the most exciting field in medicine. Go figure. She like my surgeon looks like she is about 13 years old.

Anyway, what is true to cancer of one type certainly not necessarily true of another type. Remember when radiation was 6 weeks for breast cancer. Now, for me, were I to choose to have it, it is ONE week, total of 6 treatments. Go figure there as well.

Anyway. On we go, and as to me, the best cure is HORSES. I will live long as I live, but never get over my years with my little barrel racer, Lady. Long in the tooth, loved potato peels, and was a pure joy in my childhood.
(1)

Golden:
Forgoing Lymph Node Removal Doesn’t Raise Risk of Breast Cancer Recurrence - Cancer Health

Type the above into your search engine and you will find at least one article.
Forgoing Lymph Node Removal Doesn’t Raise Risk of Breast Cancer Recurrence
Skipping axillary dissection did not have a detrimental effect on recurrence-free survival, but it did lead to less lymphedema.
February 5, 2024 • By Liz Highleyman

Women who avoid or have less extensive lymph node removal along with surgery for early breast cancer are not at higher risk for cancer recurrence or death, according to findings presented at the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium (SABCS 2023). However, as expected, those who had fewer lymph nodes removed were less likely to develop lymphedema.
The usual treatment for early-stage breast cancer is surgery to remove either the tumor (breast-conserving surgery, or lumpectomy) or the whole breast (mastectomy). Patients may also receive neoadjuvant medications before surgery or adjuvant medications afterward. As part of the procedure, so-called sentinel lymph nodes around the armpit—the first ones the cancer would spread to—are tested to see whether they contain malignant cells. Women with detectable cancer in their lymph nodes have traditionally undergone axillary lymph node dissection, or removal. But more extensive surgery can lead to worse side effects, including lymphedema, the buildup of fluid in the arms that can occur when the flow of lymph is disrupted.
30-Study Meta-Analysis
To assess the effect of axillary lymph node dissection on breast cancer outcomes, Gurdeep Mannu, PhD, of the University of Oxford, and colleagues with the Early Breast Cancer Trialists’ Collaborative Group performed a meta-analysis of 30 randomized trials with a total of more than 20,000 participants. The trials compared axillary surgery versus no such surgery, more versus less extensive lymph node removal, or axillary surgery versus radiation therapy. The studies were divided into those conducted before and after the advent of sentinel lymph node biopsy in the 1990s.

Over a median 10 years of follow-up, rates of local/regional cancer recurrence in the breast or nearby sites did not differ significantly between women who had more extensive axillary surgery and those who had fewer lymph nodes removed. This was also the case for recurrence at distant sites, death from breast cancer and all-cause mortality. These results held for women with both node-negative and node-positive disease. But adverse effects did differ: Women who underwent more extensive axillary lymph node dissection were more than twice as likely to develop lymphedema.
Looking next at axillary surgery versus radiation in five relevant trials, the study authors found no significant differences in terms of local/regional recurrence, distant recurrence, breast cancer mortality or all-cause mortality. Here, too, women who underwent axillary lymph node dissection were almost twice as likely to develop lymphedema compared with those who received radiation.
SENOMAC Trial
Randomized controlled trials are considered the gold standard for medical evidence. In the SENOMAC trial (NCT02240472), Jana de Boniface, MD, PhD, of the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, and colleagues enrolled more than 2,500 people in five countries who had primary breast cancer with up to two positive sentinel lymph nodes. The median age was 61 years. About a third had lymph node extension, or cancer that had broken through the surrounding node capsule.
The participants underwent breast-conserving surgery (64%) or mastectomy (36%). Nearly 90% then received nodal radiation therapy and adjuvant hormone therapy. In addition, they were randomly assigned to undergo completion axillary lymph node dissection or not.
After a median four years of follow-up, recurrence-free survival rates were similar in the two groups: 89% of those who underwent axillary lymph node dissection.........
And etc.
(1)

Alva - thx for the information. He starts with an injection this Friday and has been alerted to the side effects. His response was that he will just have to exercise more. He spoke of the staff at the Cross Cancer Institute as being very accommodating and supportive, This is what my dd found. I think it is important.

I know that side effects are unpredictable. When my dd was staying in the house available for out of town ca patients people's reaction to treatments were from soup to nuts, One older lady who smoked like a chimney had no side effects whatsoever. One young gal had very bad effects from radiation. Dd had little effects from radiation but the chemo hit her very hard. We will see.

R handles stress by working hard outdoors and spending time with his horses - his normal lifestyle. He is off today to a welding shop for the part for the recalcitrant tractor and to a tire shop to get his studded tires changed over. He has me and our families for support and we share the same faith. One of his bros had prostate cancer and is fine now but needs a bag. He is on face book but doesn't spend much time there, but thanks for the suggestion and I am OK. I do belong to a fb group "Women Over 80" and they are very supportive as are people here 😊 and as are family.

He recognizes the importance of a healthy diet, not that his was that bad before, but he likes sweets. I'm working on satisfying that need in a healthier way and incorporating more fresh fruits (berries!!!) and veggies. We needed to do that for his blood sugar anyway. You do what you can and trust in God for what you can't.

I found your comment "Nodes are now considered SO UNRELIABLE as precursors that in breast cancer surgery many surgeons have stopped taking anything but a few sentinel nodes, and some take none" very interesting. Do you have some references you could share with me? R has had none of the symptoms of recurring cancer. His nodes where clear at time of surgery and for the follow ups except this 1 year one. I have read that 2 out of 5 men have recurrences. It is what it is and he is getting treated.

We will plan a little holiday once the dust settles from this and some business he has to deal with. It will be a small one but a few days away in the mountains would be a nice break. Something to look forward to. There is a good musical at the E'ton dinner theatre and I want us to go to that. We have always enjoyed an evening out there but haven't been since covid,

Life goes on...until it doesn't
(3)

Golden: You're quite welcome.
(1)

Golden, everyone's different in side effects. With the therapy he isn't going to be feeling particularly
"studly", but would bet he isn't feeling that anyway. Perhaps a bit of weight gain. Perhaps tired. You will get the whole long list, but do remember if you take a baby aspirin daily the readout on side effects for THAT would make a nice tableclothe as well.

Try to take it a day at a time. Those of us dealing with the Big C gotta do that; no crystal ball, and worry about stuff too early, before it shows up if it is GOING to show up, will drive one nuts. My worst time is 4:30 to 6:30 a.m. when I can awaken and "go there". I have learned either to get up, pound away here, or listen to a podcast.

Don't know if he can make himself become a facebook lover, but they have great groups --my flat and fabulous crew is wonderful--and there's just so much support. You feel less alone in the "alone times".
(1)

Thank you Alva, Need and way. We are relieved that the bone scan is clear. I am glad they are starting R on hormone therapy quickly. I believe the doc is good.

I started to be concerned about the side effects of hormone therapy - less energy etc, but decided that I am not going to worry about it. We will deal with what we have to as it shows up.

Mainly I am feeling bad that he has to face the uncertainties that came with the results, has go through yet another treatment, and one that will likely affect his ability to continue his preferred very active lifestyle. However, on the bright side, he is recovering very well from his knee surgery. Something to be thankful for. And he has remained very active much longer than most. Maybe it's time for him to slow down.

Thanks again to all.
(5)

Golden ,

I will keep you and R in my thoughts .
Glad to hear the bone scan is clear.
(4)

Golden,

Sending hugs your way today. Know that you and R are in our hearts.
(3)

Golden, my thoughts with you and your beloved.
Do know that I had TWO positive nodes with my first cancer.
The second one didn't catch me until 35 years later.
Nodes are now considered SO UNRELIABLE as precursors that in breast cancer surgery many surgeons have stopped taking anything but a few sentinel nodes, and some take none.

Glad the issue is being addressed.
All the worry does "change us" and the anxiety is a real thing, but you are on this, and it sounds like you have good followup and good docs. My best to you both and am thinking of you.
(3)

Thank you Gershun, ITRR and Llama. We appreciate all prayers. Still waiting for the call for therapy to start. I'm glad there are treatments.
(4)

Golden: Prayers for R and you, too.
(2)

Golden, May The Lord God Almighty touch Rs body and give him complete healing. I will continue to pray for you both.

Gershun, I am with you, I pray for the posters here and you have been much on my heart. May The Lord touch you in your trials and give you victory as an overcomer.
(2)

Golden, I always pray for my friends on here but I'll add extra for your R.
(2)

Very much on my mind, R got a phone call this morning that his 1 year post prostate cancer surgery bone scan was clear, bless God, but he has an enlarged lymph node so they will call him in this week to start hormone therapy. His psa has risen a bit. Poor guy has had a lot to deal with this past year and we were hoping that 2024 would be free of health issues. The news could have been worse but it could have been better. Strangely somehow I am not surprised. He just hasn't looked quite himself at times.

We would appreciate prayers for his healing.
(5)

Happy Easter. HE is risen.
(6)

My day went really well, my brother that I had a huge falling out with 2 weeks ago was extra nice. The argument was about moms mental decline. Anyways he was also really nice to her, so I think some of what I said, is sinking into him. Even if he won't admit it, that's ok.
Then my son and his gf, haven't seen mom since xmass came to me, noticing a huge decline. Which is very sad but I feel so much better, that I'm not the only one, that see it. FINALLY

I mean it's sad, and it really sucks but I feel better in the sence that others see it too
(2)

He is risen, indeed!
(2)

HE is risen!! Praise The Lord!!

Happy Easter!!
(3)

Happy Eastern!🐰 🐇

For us Royal watchers, it was nice to see King Charles going to church this morning and well enough to shake hands.

Golden, that's a lot of metal in one person. I can't imagine going through that much
(2)

I met the bionic man's brother. He's J, our neighbour.

J remarked how well R was walking and then shared that his brother has had his 2 knees replaced, his 2 hips replaced, his 2 shoulders replaced and a metal plate in his upper spine. Wow, that's the most replacement I have every heard of. Can't imagine going through all of that.
(5)

cwille,

I am going to buy a bell pepper plant this weekend. You have inspired me to try my hand at growing some!

I know that you planted seeds but I feel more comfortable with starting off with a small plant.

How soon does it produce peppers 🫑?
(1)

Send, Need and Peggy: Thank you.

Peggy: That is being addressed, although late.
(1)

Llama,

I saw that on the news. It’s horrible.
(2)

I can believe the bridge supports didn’t include rubber bumpers or mandatory tug boating into the port!,,
(2)

Llamalover,
That is tragic, the loss of lives and a historical bridge.
(4)

Our beloved Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, MD is NO MORE as it collapsed when a large cargo ship struck it. This is tragic as workers were on the bridge at time of impact @ 1;30 A.M. Prayers are needed.
(10)

Geaton,

It’s the same way in my state . By me the rules are different for grocery stores than true liquor stores . The grocery stores have to card everyone for anything bought in that area of the store , even if you bought just a wine stopper and no drinks. They have to scan a drivers license for every purchase .
(3)

Please someone explain to me why my local grocery stores need to card me whenever I buy Busch NA (NO ALCOHOL) beer??? If I go to Total Wine no one ever cards me when I buy it there...or anything else in that store that does contain alcohol...
(2)

Need: You're quite welcome.🧡
(1)

3 4 5 6 7
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter