Follow
Read More
Need and anyone else interested. I made the cinnamon zucchini bread , its very good. The optional cinnamon butter cream icing is also good except next time I will cut down the sugar, a little too sweet. Both recipes have a lot of sugar. I didn't think the bread would . It's more like cake but is tasty even without the icing. There are instructions for some ingredient substitutions to make make it less calories, i followed the original for this time.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/zucchini-bread/

https://www.food.com/recipe/cinnamon-buttercream-frosting-77534?ic1=suggestedAsset%7Ccinnamon%20buttercream
(3)

Back online again 🙄

NHWM - Your banana bread recipe is very similar to my muffin recipe and I use 1/2 cup sugar for that.
(5)

Llama,

I know your son in law looked forward to taking banana bread home with him. It is easy to make and delicious.

He must have been crazy about it to eat six pieces!
(3)

Golden,

Mom did allow us to have one or two small cookies after school with milk. We weren’t allowed to eat as many as we wanted because she said that it would spoil our appetite before dinner.

Oh, but she broke that rule with her grandchildren. Hahaha. My girls got lots of cookies! I suppose that is part of the joy of being a grandparent.
(3)

Golden,

I bet your son’s friend was thrilled to take home the remainder of the cake.

It was always a huge treat for me when I visited my parents and grandparents and I got to take home one of my favorite treats!

My grandfather made the best candy, pralines and peanut brittle.

Grandma made divinity candy but it wasn’t my favorite. I did like her fudge but she hardly ever made it. She made homemade ice cream to die for! We ate that immediately! As children mom only allowed us to have dessert on Sunday. Same thing with sodas. It was a treat, not an everyday thing.

Mom made a delicious chocolate cake called ‘Heavenly Hash’ cake. If my brothers got to mom’s house before me I didn’t get any.

Everyone was crazy about that cake! She got the recipe from our local newspaper. Sometimes she bought the cookbooks that were sold at churches as fundraisers. They have all of the tried and true recipes from the women at the church. So good! Home cooking at its finest!
(3)

I had a recipe for banana cake (similar to banana bread but better). It was awesome. I made it when my youngest brought a friend home for the weekend whose birthday it was. He left clutching the pan with the remains of the cake and a happy smile on his face. I can still see him. His grandfather was the general at Tiananmen Square.

Need - love Carole King. She is so talented. One of the oldest son's fave performers.

llama - he must have been working hard so a tummy full of good banana bread just sent him off to sleep!
(3)

Once when my son in law was here working (laying hard wood floors), I had made 2 banana breads. He sat down to rest and ate 6 pieces of it! I was talking to him and soon realized that he was asleep as I wasn't getting any response. Every time he, DD and DGS come over I bake 2 and send him home with 1.
(4)

Send,

It sounds fabulous! The icing sounds delicious. I always make mine plain but it would be a treat to have a cream cheese glaze drizzled on top!
(3)

Watching Carole King performance at Central Park from 1973 on PBS. 100,000 fans in Central Park to see her performance!

Love her! Having flashbacks of my younger days. I played her albums a bazillion times.

Would have loved to have seen her live. Crappy weather here. Severe thunderstorm warnings just came on television for our area.
(3)

Golden! Rain, it rained!
Just what you wanted and needed!

You are next Cwillie! Have you ever tried a rain dance?
(6)

golden: Yay for the rain!
(4)

Thinking these breads cannot be messed up! Anyway you make it!
No one is going to rave about my Cream Cheese Banana Bread, but I give it a 6 out of 10. It was a bit rich, very moist. But it was done after 65 minutes.

Next, if I try it again, (next year), will have a cream cheese icing drizzle on the side, instead of baked inside. Because it was too hard to get done with all that extra rich moisture. I added some applesauce and cinnamon, just a bit.

It was an adventure just finding the loaf pan, but dH found it!

Apologies for transposing your name below, NHWM!

Thanks for the ideas, the recipes, and the helps!

Yummy!
(3)

Way,

I order zucchini bread at the coffee shop but they don’t always have it. I want to make it at home occasionally for a change from banana bread.
(3)

I’m just trying it now . I had some that a friend made . But here is the thing , she’s not sure if she gave me the right recipe. We will see. She thinks she sent me the link that she used . She’s made it a few times she said but she’s not even sure if she has used the same recipe each time. She does that . She googles , she finds whatever recipe she has MOST of the ingredients . Which means she doesn’t always use the same recipe nor follow it totally . She does everything on the fly . 🤦‍♀️. She also gave me A RECIPE .( Again she’s not sure if it’s the one ) for the cinnamon butter cream icing that she put on the zucchini bread . She says she has been winging the icing for a long time so she found a recipe she says is close and sent me the link. So this should be interesting . I have had it before when she makes it. The zucchini bread isn’t always the same, but the icing is. She’s been making the icing for many years . But only been making the bread about a year . Which btw is more like cake. I’ll let you know how it turns out 😬.
(3)

Way,

Do you have a good recipe for it? Have you made it before or just now trying it?
(2)

Need , that’s so funny. I bought zucchini yesterday to make zucchini bread tomorrow .
(3)

Sounds good Send, let us know how it turns out.

I always check expiration dates on everything too.

Some people don’t think it makes a difference but it does.
(3)

See you all on the dinner thread....

HNWM, Using butter, and 1/2 c. sugar.

The family that bakes together, stays together. Lol.
I am always having my dH check the expiration dates for me.
He says: "This is not expired yet, it expires May 17th."

No argument from me this time. Lol.
He puts it back in the fridge.
You're right! It's not expired yet!

He stands up, and I said: "What does it say on that calendar on the fridge?".
He is still on Maytime, but it is now June. I don't blame him, but now I am no longer angry.
It is the second time he has confused the May dates. He was sitting at the reception desk, making appointments into July and August. Then, an appointment in May (this year). He told the receptionist that he cannot make an appointment in May because his calendar does not go into next year/May.
Just a little blip on his radar, I think. It takes both of us to get the dates right.

Cwillie, We had just discussed how to make banana bread into a cake, and what the difference would be. I would have preferred a cake, I think.

Anyway, it's in the oven now (an electric turkey roaster oven). An hour, it's going to take too long!

I swirled the cream cheese into the batter, but cannot follow a recipe to save my life! Swirled it onto the top. My head is spinning from all the variations possible with this banana bread. But if it is possible to mess this up, I can and will do that.

Waiting.
(4)

cw,

That’s how the recipe is written, I cup of sugar but I have reduced it to 3/4 of a cup and it’s fine. It makes 12 servings and it’s 257 calories per serving.

I have not tried any sugar substitutes. I don’t use them and don’t know which ones are best to use.

How much sugar do you put in your banana bread?

I use BreadDad’s recipe. breaddad.com

Banana bread with oil (No butter banana bread)

He has lots of bread recipes!

It’s true. Banana bread is more like dessert than bread. I think all quick bread recipes are more like cake. One day I want to try zucchini bread.
(2)

Holy smoke that's a lot of sugar... that sounds more like banana cake than banana bread 🤔
(3)

Send,

Oh my gosh, a cream cheese glaze on top of banana bread would be fantastic!

I did try chocolate chips in mine once but I like walnuts or pecans the best.

Same with brownies. I love nuts in them. I don’t make them often but I do have a really moist and chewy brownie recipe.

I don’t like using box mixes for anything. It takes the fun out of cooking. I rather cook from scratch.

I make homemade cakes but not very often, maybe once or twice a year. It’s too much for just my husband and myself. I have to share them when I get the urge to bake a cake.
(2)

ITRR,

I love all of your cooking! I’m sure those adaptations are wonderful! Will have to try them out.

Thanks for sharing.

Techie,

Anyone who knows me, knows that I love my coffee. Pour me a cup when you serve yours! 😊
(5)

NHWM, my recipe comes from grom an old Norge cookbook and doesn't have baking soda - if fact I cannot remember a recipe calling for baking soda without buttermilk. I'm going to try your recipe and see if there's any difference in taste. I love mine plain with some milk or coffee but my brother and the boys like a little cream cheese spread.
(4)

I use the same banana bread recipe but, I add a 1/4 cup of buttermilk or sour cream, whatever I have and it is a game changer. Oh, I always use half white and half dark brown sugar, we like the molasses flavor of the dark sugar.
(3)

So, here is my shamelessly easy banana bread recipe.

3 large bananas or 1 and I/2 cups smashed (345 grams)

1/2 cup vegetable oil or other neutral oil for baking (115 milliliters)

2 large eggs

I cup white granulated sugar (200 grams) or 1 cup light brown sugar (215 grams)

2 cups all purpose flour (240 grams)

1 teaspoon vanilla (5 milliliters)

1 teaspoon baking soda (5 grams)

1 teaspoon baking powder (4grams)

1/2 teaspoon salt (3 grams)

I cup chopped walnuts (115 grams) (optional)

9 X 5 loaf pan

Preheat oven at 325 degrees and bake for 60 to 75 minutes.

Do not use an electric mixer to combine ingredients! Use a spoon!

Simple, easy and delicious!

Do y’all smell my bread baking? 😊

Makes approximately 12 slices at 257 calories per slice
(6)

Thanks Barb!
I will need that later in another recipe.
The banana bread is looking like a very simple and easy recipe.

It's been awhile since baking.

If I get some made, I will squish some through the internet for you, BOJ.
Do you want chocolate chips in your banana bread?
Or swirls of cream cheese?
(3)

Catskie, Duggars are as dysfunctional as they come. It’s a sham .Golden , the Delaware River is less than half its normal level. I’m assuming our water reservoirs are low as well . I used to always have the greenest lawn in the neighborhood. Got tired of dragging the hoses. Gave that up a few years ago. It gets green again when it rains . Plenty of clay here that holds water for awhile . When I lived on Long Island I did have irrigation system. Had to it’s sand there , have to water the lawn everyday when it was hot or it would die and you lose the whole lawn
(3)

Need, that’s cool. I didn’t know burnt was getting married .
(3)

talk later...

i'll try send's AND need's banana bread. and anyone else making banana bread.
(1)

So Shiny Happy People is about The Duggar family? I need to watch that.
I love REM's song by the same name. Lol
And for everyone who got much needed rain, that's good news. Florida of course has been getting plenty of rain now it's June.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter