Follow
Read More
Margaret, I swear by balance exercises.

I am reading now a book free on Amazon Kindle Unlimited (Beginner Balance Exercises for Seniors by Zac Shaw) so am adding a few to my usual.

I first noticed years ago (am 81) that when I closed my eyes in shower to wash my face my balance went wonky. At the same time noticed that, though I weight 145, most I ever did, I feel like a feather in the winds on a moving bus.
Started some balance exercises then and am amazed how they have helped.

What I find fascinating in Shaw's book is the research on how the bones, tendons, muscles, neurons and synapses and even the cell docking stations for transmission ALL start to deteriorate at age 30 on. THIRTY! Who knew. My grandson is 5 years out from "starting to go rotten".
This includes even hormonal systems. I must say it is appalling to read and makes you know we were an animal designed to be born, grow up, reproduce a few kids and die before 35. Which is exactly what we used to do. It sure did avoid a whole lot of deterioration.

Anyway, Geaton always warns us we must try to stay mentally acute enough to keep up with tech as much as we can. So I will warn that we need to work on balance. You will wobble a whole lot at the beginning, but as you wobble along your brain is actually learning, adapting, exercising itself.
I well remember all my old patients who would have "BEDREST" ordered by their docs. They knew long before doctors learned that the prescribed bedrest has lethal side effects. They would just say "Oh, no, I can't stay in bed. If I do I will never get up again".
Truly, with the brain and the body, it is use it or we will lose it.
Can we make it go on forever? Nope. That's for dang sure. But we can keep it as well-oiled as we are able while it has to go on.

Happy New year to all!
(3)

Margaret, yes, do the exercises for strength and balance. I'm not a very disciplined person when it comes to physical exercise but after my knee replacement I knew I had to do it in order to return to tennis. It really amazed me how fast I made progress when I just did the prescribed exercises. The PTs called me a Rock Star, but better yet I felt stronger and confident. Keep doing a "great job"!
(2)

I posted on another thread about the 10 minute balance exercises that I had found. I did them for the fourth time tonight, and my wobbly ankles really are getting stronger. Yeah! I do like his Aussie accent, and I counted the number of times he said “You’re doing a great job”, sometimes shortened to “great job”. Nineteen times in 10 minutes, one every 30 seconds. Is this a record?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9xsYEzYNrE
(3)

Just an FYI about expired COVID tests. There is a govt website ( I believe) that list many of those tests and extends the expiration dates. Our Senior Center posted it recently when we had a small outbreak. Many of them are still good for months after the listed expiration date. Hope this helps some of you who have older tests and find pricing out of your range. Also there are still free tests available, try your library, senior center, fire or health departments. Good luck!
(1)

Re: COVID. Son (then 19, healthy, fit) caught it March 2020. Severe flu-like symptoms with manageable heart issues for 9 days. Vaccinations triggered 18 hours of minor heart issues. (we are all vaxxed)

Daughter (20, healthy, fit) caught it Aug 2023. Felt like strep throat and very bad flu for 6 days. Full recovery. Suspicious she may have been asymptomatic 2 years earlier as something triggered mild HSP. Full recovery.

Husband and I (no comorbidities) caught it from her. 102.5f peak temp, felt like a sinus infection with mild pneumonia. 3 days sick, another 2 blah, full recovery.

Quite the symptom variations within our immediate family.

We had family deaths, plus friends left with debilitating symptoms months/years later.

Sadly I have family still arguing that it’s not real, even as they were desperately ill themselves, in denial, swearing it was something else. One is still pushing ivermectin. Imagine thinking you know more than educated people with decades of field experience because you listened to a politician or watched an online video! I’d say “Darwinism” but the same crowd doesn’t believe he had any legitimacy either.
(2)

I hope that you feel better soon, JoAnn. Colds are miserable.
(2)

Burnt,

Most people in my family had Covid. I have friends that died. New Orleans was a hot spot for it. Covid broke out during our Mardi Gras!

One person that I know is so incredibly stupid. Here’s an example of what she says, “No one in my family had Covid, so I don’t believe it’s real.” And if that isn’t stupid enough, then she says, “The vaccine contains the ‘mark of the beast.’ Unbelievable that someone who has an advanced degree can be so stupid! Isn’t it?

I would be stupid if I tried to reason with a person like her. I had to walk away from her or I would have lost it. I had just lost a very close friend who died from Covid when she was spewing her crazy crap.

That documentary, Mommy Dead and Dearest blew my mind. That woman was horrible.

I was glad when the daughter was released from prison. I can’t imagine how she felt being confined to a wheelchair when she could walk. It’s shocking to see parents do these things.

The mother may have had a mental illness but I wholeheartedly agree with you that she abused her daughter her entire life. I also felt bad for the dad. She shut him out of the daughter’s life. It was good to see them reunited again. Her stepmother was sweet.
(1)

JoAnn, the only reason we paid for the tests was so we could request Paxlovid. And we only did it because it was the week of Christmas and we were hosting. Otherwise we wouldn't have cared less and not have bothered with the Paxlovid... just rode it out... because none of us (including my Mom) have worrisome pre-existing conditions.

AliBoBali, it's the mutating that causes covid to change. With every iteration it becomes more contagious and less deadly. Once you have covid you have some temporary immunity for "a while". When I had the original covid in 2021, I asked for an antibody test at CVS 4 months after my symptoms ended and I still had "some". But unless one gets a very expensive test, there's no way to know just how many antibodies and how much immunity a person has. Since we just got over our symptoms and quarantined for 5 days, we are no longer infectious and we have immunity to this variant for "a while".
(1)

I started fighting a head cold over 2 weeks ago. No fever just a cough because of an itchy throat, post nasal drip I am still fighting and that tired feeling. Lasted at least 10 days. No I did not test, we really don't leave the house that much. My government tests are gone and the last batch I ordered were expired within a month of delivery so never ordered the next round.

COVID is here to stay. Just like the flu, which still kills people. The flu, that the shot you get is just guess at which strain will show up this year. A few years back there was a new strain so that shot everyone got was useless. I am not paying $10 every time I have a sniffle to see if its COVID.

Masks, individual preference. My BIL, PHD in immunology, says they are useless but did wear them when asked to. He is not a jerk about them. The one thing they should cut out is shaking of hands. I have found no nice way of saying "I don't shake hands". I have never really liked the custom. With women, men are not suppose to extend their hand until a woman does. This is where germs are spread. We cough and sneeze in our hands. Blow our noses with our hands. A reason they should be washed a lot.
(4)

I think wearing a face mask is just considerate when you have a bug, have been around those who have them, and just in general during a time--like now--where flu and covid cases are increasing weekly.

I know some people are very averse to masks because they feel they can't breathe well with them on. I understand if they don't wish to wear one, but for everyone else, I don't get why they don't. I strangely like wearing a mask in public lately. It makes me feel safer, and I'm trying to be considerate, given I've been SUCH a sickie this fall... and with the newest of my funks, which is catching covid (probably) yet again. I had an uptick in some symptoms and felt lousy for 48 hours at the same time my SIL and niece came down with bad cases. Now I'm just dealing with the same old, very familiar, ever-present sniffling, sinus congestion, and fatigue. Ugh. I think getting the booster in early November helped keep things from worsening.

I'm starting new wellness measures all the time these days. The latest is diffusing some eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender, and tea tree oils. I might add more oils! lol The Internet says they help with wellness. SOMETHING has to help; that's all I know. I can't take this perpetual sicky business I've been going through for months. This has been the worst bout with fall bugs I've ever had.

Geaton, I agree the latest version of covid isn't as bad as 2020. Maybe people have built some immunity; maybe it's a weaker version. Thank goodness either way.
(2)

That Is all true Geaton ,
Tests are expensive . Not everyone can afford them . And yes it’s not possible to prevent all contagious disease . And yes some people can’t afford to miss days at work. That’s sad.

My gripe is with those that are consciously inconsiderate when they are having symptoms . My brother and his wife are very educated ( wealthy) people . No excuse for their selfishness of not informing their guests that they were ill .
(4)

In MN the covid test kits cost $10 and aren't reimbursable through private insurance. Not sure about Medicare since I'm not on it yet. My family alone spent $30 in test kits in a single week. Preventing contagious illnesses is NOT totally preventable, since many times people are infectious before they even show symptoms. It's a medical and scientific impossibility. That being said, if one is not feeling well, please just stay home, or wear a mask and gloves in public.
(4)

@NHWM

Yes, Covid is indeed real and I had it very bad a few years ago. Had it two times since but was not symptomatic. Had both shots but no boosters. I'm not doing that.

I watched that program 'Mommy Dead and Dearest' on Max, That is some sick business. The mother had it coming though. Mental illness or not you can only abuse a person so far before they take action.
(1)

cwillie,

I honestly don’t know if my nephew tested to be considerate of his coworkers all on his own , or if it’s still a job requirement for him to test if he knows he’s been exposed . I know that at one point that was a requirement from the FAA. ( Not that every employee would be honest if they knew they were exposed ) .
(0)

cw,

Sadly, you’re right. I hate to say it but I know a few ignorant people who still don’t believe Covid is real! I shake my head and walk away. I am not dumb enough to argue with completely stupid people!
(4)

Some people would say it's stupid he can't go to work, and infecting everyone else is no problem because they should suck it up and work sick too.
(2)

Way,

I agree. This situation was totally preventable. It’s a shame that he has to miss work now.

Unfortunately, some people don’t take these things as seriously as they should. They have a relaxed attitude about it.
(1)

Ha!! Case in point . I just heard a story from my son today about my nephew . My nephew, his wife and 2 kids went to his parent’s house for Christmas ( my brother’s house ). My brother and his wife were already sick and didn’t say anything . They called my nephew yesterday to say they have been ill since the day before their visit and they got worse so they ( finally ) tested and have tested positive . My nephew so far has no symptoms but he tested yesterday , positive as well . Now my nephew can’t go to work . He’s an air traffic controller in the busy Washington DC area and can’t get the others in the tower sick . And it’s the busy holiday travel season.
My nephew’s wife is really angry about it , she would not have gone and brought the two little ones to see these sick grandparents . My brother and his wife should have been up front about feeling ill and let my nephew and his family decide if they wanted to take the risk , or if they preferred to postpone .
(4)

cw,

Kids are germ magnets! Older people don’t wish to be exposed to their germs.

It’s interesting that you bring up sharing food or drinks with other people. My dad never shared food or drinks with anyone. I always felt that he was fanatical about this when I was a kid.

When I got older, I completely understood why my dad felt the way he did.

Germs are spread by eating or drinking after each other. Kids don’t think about these things. I remember sharing food with my friends all the time.

I also remember my mom telling me not to share hairbrushes with my friends. Kids get lice. I thought that was dumb too as a kid. 😆 We don’t have the maturity to understand these things when we are young.

We can’t possibly protect our children from everything though. My girls got lice from gymnastics mats. They are all rolling around on the same mats during their classes.

The one thing that I have never done though is share a toothbrush with anyone else. That is totally gross 🤮 to me!
(1)

We got together even though one nephew and his housemate had been ill, but they let all of us know beforehand and let everyone decide whether or not they were willing to risk being exposed to whatever it was. Frankly I get pi$$ed when our family with small kids tells us after we're already in the same place that the kids have x, y or z - I get it that kids (especially those in daycare) are germ magnets and perpetually sick but I don't want any of that, and if I do choose to be with them anyway I wouldn't have accepted a hug and kiss or shared a bite of that treat, KWIM?
(4)

Way,

I feel the same way. If a person is sick they should remain home so they won’t spread their disease onto others. It’s selfish and inconsiderate of them not to be concerned about how ‘their wants’ affects others lives.
(3)

I would like to add a thought to Geaton’s post . IMO “living normally “ should include being considerate of others and staying home when ill, whether it be Covid , Flu, RSV, respiratory symptoms especially with a fever , stomach bugs etc .

I also assume that many with mild symptoms are not testing at all because they “want to live normal “ , they just go out and about spreading illness. I know people first hand who have told me , “ I’m not testing because I don’t want to know , I don’t want to stay home “ . If people did not go out with Covid , Flu , stomach bugs etc , less disease would be spreading .

It’s common sense and consideration that some people ignore. FYI , I had these thoughts many years prior to Covid , when my family would bring their kids to my house on holidays with fevers .

I for one would get annoyed when a coworker came in sick to work , causing others to get sick and have to burn sick days. Some people need their sick days for doctor appts for chronic medical problems or a procedure etc .
(3)

Many of my family members got covid recently, including my husband and myself. We chose to not be boosted after getting the original 2-shot Pfizer vaccine a few years ago. My 94-yr old Mom (also not boosted) got it, too, and had a milder case than my husband who is 67 and still plays hockey 3 mornings a week and has no other health issues.

Just putting this out there for people who are very worried about their seniors getting the current covid: it is more contagious but far less deadly. It's been making the rounds in our local NHs but no one has passed or even required hospitalization. My husband and I took Paxlovid to lessen and shorten the symptoms but who knows if it worked. My Mom refused the Paxlovid. She had it milder than even me. We all took the home test so I know it was covid. My 30-something next door neighbor who has Crohn's is vaxxed and boosted and he and his entire family still got covid. At this point people should just be throwing their hands up and saying "I give up" on trying to "do the right thing" and figuring out stoopid covid. Just go out and live your life normally.
(3)

So, I watched the documentary Mommy Dead and Dearest on Max.

My gosh, Munchausen by proxy is such a bizarre mental illness!

I can’t imagine the hell her daughter experienced growing up in that house.
(1)

Has anyone watched the documentary, Mommy Dead and Dearest? It’s streaming on MAX. I haven’t seen it. I am going to watch it to become familiar with her story.

Just read that the woman who was sent to prison for killing her mentally ill mother is being released. She and her boyfriend killed the mom.

I haven’t followed her story. Apparently, Gypsy Rose Blanchard’s mom suffered with Munchausen by proxy and her daughter killed her. The daughter was horribly abused as a child.

Some people shouldn’t have children!

It makes me wonder how many people are mentally ill and they slip through the cracks without being diagnosed. Very sad and disturbing at the same time.
(2)

Thanks for the update SP. Thinking of you and of your sis as well.
(3)

Nothing new Alva. My parents are out of town until tomorrow and they tried to call her many times on the phone before they left on the 24th.

This was after she told them she didn't mean to cut off contact but she had to revoke access so her exboyfriends wouldnt find her.

But she didn't put my parents on the contact sheet for the doctors and nurse to give information at that time which isn't unusal for her to do because she lives with keeping secrets and doing things like this.

All my parents know is she was moved from ICU to critical care and then a basic room that was on the 21st. She did tell them she has blood pooling behind her eyes from the leukemia which should resolve with treatment hopefully and she cannot see anything clear even with her glasses on.

After that phone call with her they have been unable to reach her since and all the nurses would do is transfer the call to her room but she never picked up even though they called a few times each day and in the early evening.
(2)

SP. any updates at all on your Sis?
(0)

Hi Ali, my sister thought she had the flu and it turned out to be leukemia. Apparently it can mimic flu symptoms. Not trying to scare you but I didn't realize how common it is for someone to think they have the flu and a blood test revealed leukemia.
(2)

Sp, I didn't read what happened to your sis, but it doesn't sound good. What do the blood tests help detect? Thanks for the input.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter