Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Even those in Canada, who may have already celebrated a month ago. 🦃

My book, a journal, arrived: "Things I would like to be able to say in meetings".
Maybe that is an idea for a new thread: "Things I would like to be able to say on the Aging Care forum.".

Wouldn't that be just perfect? We would finally get our shorter posts, after the moderators edited it or deleted it. 🤔

My dH and I were sitting at the table, 10:45 a.m.
We looked at each other and laughed. "What do we do now?"
We had just finished our turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and dressing, french cut green beans, the works. At 10:45 in the morning!
Who does that?

But we were hungry, and already prepped by all the talk about what makes a Thanksgiving meal. I enjoyed it! We did not forget to be thankful.

Now, to make this a little bit of a longer post, trying to fit in, here is my joke I am trying to perfect it after posting on the joke thread:

A turkey went to the doctor
looking kind of pale
and had lost all of its feathers.

The doctor says:
"I think we may have found the problem."
"All your internal organs are in this little bag."

Have a great day!
(4)

Same to you NHWM and to everyone else here. Have a great day. I am thankful I don’t have parent drama today and on a much lesser note I am grateful I only had to make cranberry sauce and Brussels sprouts this year. All done and enjoying what’s left of the parade coverage before we go to our daughter’s later. Will be wonderful to be with the grandkids for the holiday.

Have a great day everyone!
(4)

Popping in to wish everyone a very happy thanksgiving 🍂🦃🍁!

Hoping that today and the upcoming holidays will bring some joy into your lives.

If you’re going through a difficult time and want to say, ‘Bah, Humbug!’ Go right ahead! Many of us become melancholy during certain times of the year.

I do find that the older I get though, the less I care about insignificant matters. I have learned to focus on the things that I am grateful for and toss aside the rest.

I will pass along something my therapist said to me years ago. “Don’t allow anyone to steal your joy away from you.”
(5)

Sad about Rosalynn Carter. I always respected her. But Ithe first thing that came to my mind was how much easier it probably was for her family take care of her and President Carter. I bet they didn't need to cobble together caregiver schedules and everything else and hope for the best like lot of us do on this site. It shouldn't be so hard.
(4)

Rosalynn Carter passed at age 96.
November 19th, 2023
(3)

I've gotten so used to living in isolation that when I get invites to see the same people twice in one month I hesitate, what's up with that?🤔
(5)

Way,

Well, so now she and her husband are on hospice together. They have spent so many years together and have quite a love story.

I love when Jimmy Carter said that the key to his longevity was picking the right person to be his partner in life. They seem to be very well suited for each other.
(4)

Roslyn Carter is now on hospice .
(4)

Way,

I would purchase your invention! I want everything to be dishwasher accessible!

Same thing with being able to put clothes in the washer and dryer. I don’t have any clothes that need dry cleaning.

I used to have dress clothes that I took to the cleaners. Nowadays, it isn’t necessary. There are gorgeous fabrics that can be laundered at home.

I am all for convenience!
(4)

Need . I just thought of a great idea. But maybe it’s already available and I just don’t know it.
I’m cleaning my stove top this morning and I thought what if the top came off in sections that you could put in the dishwasher !
(3)

Way,

I agree with you on that! I have stopped wearing underwire bras. LOL 😝 I got sick of being stabbed!

My daughters like the sports bra. I am not crazy about them. They also wear those bralettes. Whatever…every generation has their own style.

I am amazed by the money that some people have made by their inventions that they take on Shark Tank. The Sharks have all of the connections to market their products.

Some ideas flop because the deals with the Sharks don’t play out. They make the deal with the guests on the tv show but they have the option to opt out of the offer if they aren’t satisfied. It’s only a good deal if both parties are happy.
(2)

Need.
I’m still waiting for the “ comfortable “ pretty, figure flattering bra to be invented ( that isn’t a sports bra ).
(3)

Anche: Good to hear from you. I am well, thanks. Hugs to you. I know it has to be difficult for you. My mother died when I had to live her in 2014 to provide care.
(2)

Watching Shark Tank, why couldn’t I have invented something that could have made millions of dollars?

They say that necessity is the mother of invention! I wonder how many women have invented things out of necessity.

It’s fascinating to know the origins of items that were invented. Look at the history of the very first bra.
(1)

Dear Llama,
I am fine, some downs… but I am working on myself to be better, to face anxiety which has not disappeared yet… I am somehow proud of myself. I sometimes feel very lonely even though I have a caring husband and a good son. Probably, I have some past issues since I lost my father when I was almost 11 and I probably didn’t elaborate that grief… so I feel abandoned.
but I am trying to improve and feel better day by day…
and how are you?
(5)

Anche: So very good to see you posting! Hello to you. How are you?
(3)

Anche,

I am doing well. I know what you mean about having thoughts after our mother has died.

My mother died in 2021 and I have had a lot of time to reflect on my experiences as a caregiver and mom’s experiences in her later years.

Sometimes we are able to see the situation more clearly after some time has passed.

Oh yes, I had a weekly appointment with my therapist for quite awhile. It helped me to place everything in perspective.
(3)

hello Need!
more than a year has passed since my mum passed, I have ups and downs… sometimes some guilty feeling show up even if I know I could not do more… I am still going to my therapist and trying to take my life in my hands.
what about you?
(3)

It’s so good to hear from you, Anche? How have you been?
(2)

You are all in my mind... I think and speak about you very often even if I do not come here.
I will try to catch up somehow and to come here more frequently.
(3)

Burnt,

Thanks. My godmother was an interesting woman. I loved her, but I was fully aware that she had issues. My godfather, her husband was so sweet. I find it interesting that these domineering women are often married to docile men. I guess they didn’t know who they were really marrying. I think in some cases the claws come out after they are married.

My godmother didn’t have any filter, long before her Alzheimer’s disease set in. She said whatever was on her mind to anyone that was around, not caring who she offended. She never knew when to keep her opinions to herself. She didn’t get along well with the staff at her nursing home. She could be extremely rude when she was in a bad mood.

Not that I am not sad about her getting bruised in her nursing home. I was very sad about it. I never knew her to be violent when I was growing up.

Maybe she wasn’t on the right meds. I have no idea how they handle these issues in nursing homes.

I can’t imagine how exhausted the aides in nursing homes must be working with patients like my godmother. I was totally exhausted just taking care of one person in my house, my mom.
(1)

@Need

I'm sorry that your grandmother ended up like that. How terrible.
(2)

Burnt,

Married to Elvis? That is hysterical!

My godmother thought that her nursing home took everyone on a vacation when they were being evacuated for hurricane Katrina! She said, “Isn’t this lovely that we are taking a nice road trip!”

My mother and I were glad that her delusions from Alzheimer’s disease were preventing her from being afraid during a horrific hurricane.

Alzheimer’s disease is awful but that was one time that it worked in her favor. My poor godmother had Alzheimer’s disease and macular degeneration. She eventually went blind from her macular degeneration.

My godmother was very stylish and never let her hair go gray. She dyed it blonde throughout the years. When she went into the nursing home she wasn’t able to dye her hair anymore.

She was always outspoken and often offended people with things that she said. She could be quite opinionated and feisty at times.

It shocked me when I would visit her and see her arms covered in bruises. When I asked the aides at the nursing home about her bruises, they would tell me, “Your godmother is a fighter!”

Maybe the aides arms were bruised too from her being combative. I don’t know how common it is for residents to fight back like she did.

She would fight with the aides when they tried to help her. I suppose after she went blind she became anxious and afraid.

Towards the end of her life, she didn’t recognize any of us who visited her.

Her son (my cousin) had POA but he lived in California and only visited once or twice a year.
(1)

@Ana

That is funny and sad at the same time. Some of the things my dementia clients would come up with over the years...

Not just the instigating, repeating incessantly, and the asinine nonsense. Like one client I had who insisted she be taken out of town to grocery shop because all the food in the city she lived in was rotten. Of course I did not indulge her in that nonsense.

Some of their tales were hilarious. I had one old girl who thought she was secretly married to Elvis Presley. We couldn't tell anyone though because it had to be a secret.
I had another who thought he was a general in the army. We just used to go along with them because it was harmless.
(2)

Way,

I can understand how this would happen.
(2)

Need,

When I was young and worked in a nursing home , one of the residents with dementia thought I was her daughter , because she saw me often . When her daughter came she didn’t know her. It was sad .
(2)

Ana,

When I visited my mother in the nursing home where she went to for rehab after a fall, there was an old woman who had gray that cornered with her wheelchair daily when I walked into the building.

She thought that she was only 36 years old. She asked me to please take her to the parking lot to find her car because she had to go home to take care of her nine year old son.

The other old women in the home were tired of hearing the same stories from her and said to me, “Don’t pay any attention to Charlotte’s ramblings. She’s crazy!”

It is sad that they fabricate stories due to their dementia but there can be a humorous side as well.

It wasn’t very nice but the old ladies in the home would tell this woman, Charlotte to go look in the mirror at her gray hair to see that she wasn’t 36 years old anymore!

The staff told me that Charlotte cornered a lot of visitors and to simply walk past her.
(1)

Ana you made my night!
(1)

Bounce,

Hahaha 🤣! Yep, we called it ‘Free entertainment!’ Gotta laugh at the ridiculous nonsense.

My husband’s grandfather was a sweetheart. Talk about a mismatched pair! He purposely turned off his hearing aid when his wife would go on a rampage. LOL 😆

Yeah, my father was a very honest man. My mother used to say that his brother lied just to keep in practice. He could tell some stories. He was the polar opposite of my dad.

Every family has their nutcases!
(1)

Ana,

When we listened to the fabricated stories from my husband’s grandmother, we would make the comment, ‘Fact or Fiction?’ She didn’t have any dementia. She just lied!

Some of the stories were hysterical! Some were ridiculous! Some were incredibly rude!
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter