Follow
Read More
My youngest daughter is the little Diva! She would love to have our cousin’s closet!

She is renting a really cute but small home in uptown New Orleans. The house was built in 1930. It is a one bedroom/one bath shotgun house without any closets! So, she had to purchase organizers.

She will not sacrifice location for a larger place to live. I don’t blame her. She’s young and doesn’t want to live in the burbs.
(3)

Need,

My daughter’s old room needed to be painted. I figured I’ll make it a she shed for me . ( DH has his office that used to be the old formal living room , plus he is in total control of the TV remote in the family room . Lol. ). I was going to totally change up her room then I didn’t have the heart to do it. She still stays overnight sometimes . So I did paint it a similar color , but a darker more teal color . Got new bedding and grown up wall hanging over the bed , but I sort of kept my daughter’s taste in mind . I go in there to read , and her room has the best of of the mountain .
My cat loves it in there , she sits in the afternoon sun in her hammock .
(2)

Way,

Some are really pretty. My cousin converted an adjoining bedroom into a massive walk in closet. She has a sitting area in it where she sips a glass of wine while figuring out what to wear! LOL 😆

She is a huge clothes horse though. Oh my gosh! She spends a fortune on clothes, shoes and purses. High quality designer brands.

I wouldn’t have converted a bedroom because I think it will hurt resale value of her home. She doesn’t care about that. She loves her massive closet!

I have a walk in closet but mine isn’t fancy either.
(2)

Need,

Some closets are so pretty now with chandeliers and a place to sit and it all matches !! Mine isn’t big enough for that and nothing matches .
(1)

Way,

Yes, now we have huge walk in closets for our clothing! We can place furniture inside of the closet to organize items.

My grandmother didn’t have a closet in her bedroom. She had a large cedar wardrobe.

She only had three casual weekday dresses that she rotated throughout the week and three church dresses that she rotated on Sundays. One robe and a couple of nightgowns.

She was perfectly content and never desired to have a ton of clothes.

Grandpa was a carpenter, so he had his work clothes and his dress clothes for church.

My grandmother never owned pants! She only wore dresses. She wore pearls on Sunday. She liked small polka dots and small prints, preferably a floral design.

I loved my grandfather’s derby hats! I wish men still wore those. My husband wears baseball caps and knit hats in the winter. When he dresses up he doesn’t wear a hat. I like the way men dressed up back in the day!
(1)

Need,
Funny you should say that , I’ve been rearranging my closet for that very reason . I’m tired of taking clothes out of plastic bins and switching . I bought small cheap dresser to put in the closet .
(1)

Way,

I remember when I was a child our seasons were distinct. They aren’t distinct anymore.

There were no walk in closets when I was a child. We had small closets, so mom would pack away off season clothes in her cedar chest. When the season would change again, she would rotate the clothing again.

Nowadays, it’s hot one day and cold the next! We wear clothes that are suitable for all kinds of weather all year round!

Our parents were frugal with their money. They didn’t spend a fortune on our clothes like parents do now.

I am sure the smaller closets helped with not overspending too. I had my school uniforms, play clothes and church clothes. I had three pairs of shoes, dress shoes for church, tennis shoes for play and saddle oxfords for school.

We had white dress shoes for summer and black dress shoes for winter. I only wore white Ked’s tennis shoes. Black and white saddle oxfords for my school uniform. I did have sandals in the summer to wear with shorts.
(1)

cw and way,

Well, we have never had enough snow to shovel it!

One time, when I was a little girl on New Year’s Eve in 1963, we had enough snow for my dad to build a snowman with us. I was 8 years old.

That was so much fun and a rare treat for a kid that lived in New Orleans!
(3)

cwillie,

I agree . The best snowfalls are the lighter ones that melt away on its own the next day .

Need, you aren’t missing anything by not shoveling. 🙄. Actually when I was younger I liked raking and shoveling . My back doesn’t like it anymore 😭.
(2)

Oh h3ll no, I don't want enough to have to shovel it.
(3)

Way,

I can’t imagine shoveling snow!
(2)

Need,
I’ll be thinking of your post while I shovel this year. 🤪🤣

I don’t know if it’s due to global warming or some other reason , but the leaves are falling later . So I am raking into December . 😤.
(4)

cw,

Louisiana receives a fair amount of rainfall. It does get old after a while.

On the rare occasion, when we get a few snow flurries, it’s a treat to see the pretty snow flakes floating through the air.
(2)

I think I'd rather have the snow than gloomy wetness.
(2)

Gloomy day here…rainy and just overall funky.

I am procrastinating this morning! On my second cup of coffee before going out in the rain to run a few errands.

Oh well…

Could be worse, at least I don’t deal with snow like many other people do in the winter.
(1)

Love that tale Margaret! 😆

I remember asking if it was OK to wear pants to a work function in the UK.

A few funny looks from the office men.. before a woman said "Well! I HOPE you will be wearing pants! And hopefully something over them too. Like a skirt or trousers".

Trousers (as I knew them) being more formal leg-wear, tailored, creased down the front type leg-wear. All other informal leg-wear was all 'pants'.

We all had a good laugh.. especially when I threw in talk of wearing thongs too..
(1)

“I’m looking for a screw”. Question yesterday to my DH Tony doing a repair job on our trailer, in a truck stop camp site on our way to Alice Springs. (I’d just walked off to the office, but let’s face it, I’m 76). Tony, deadpan, says ‘What sort of screw’, and the guy says “A long one”. The penny dropped at that point, and Tony fishes a suitable screw out of his tool kit. The guy thanks him politely and tries to pay for it!

I met his wife on the path to the office, we chatted and she said that they were French Canadian and had only basic English. I said that it was easy to be misunderstood, and said that Tony was a bit surprised to be asked for a screw, as the English meaning can be a bit different. She said she knew that one, and we giggled together. They had a problem with their rental caravan, hence the need for a screw replacement.

Tony finished the repair, and as we left the campsite they were both waiting for us at the exit, waving goodbye with broad grins and laughter! I think asking Tony for a screw is going to be on their list of memorable parts of their Australian adventure!
(2)

My husband just called as he was leaving his office.

He told me to go outside and take a peek at the moon. He knows that I love when the moon is shining beautifully in the sky.

It’s a chilly night here. There is an interesting and hauntingly beautiful cloud formation behind a big and bright full moon. It looks very mysterious!
(5)

Oh, DD brought one of her 5 pound apple pies! We brought two large pieces home.
(4)

Happy Thanksgiving late! Had a long, but blessed day traveling to DH's sister and brother in law's home in the next county over from our's.
(4)

Evamar,

You deserve to treat yourself to something special. We all do!

Christmas items are in all of our stores here. I like seeing the decorations.

I used to shop year round for gifts. I bought things when I saw something that I liked. The only problem was that I would put the gifts away and then forget where I placed them. Then I would have to shop again!
(3)

NHWM,
In Canada we are already in full Xmas mode. Even had some snow yesterday!
Did all the Xmas shopping today!
And as good caregiver I did not forget myself, ordered two gorgeous dresses from my favourite store.
I think every one of us deserves a little bit of frivolity.
(4)

I'm there in spirit already Send, I love dessert 🤤
(I never did get any pumpkin pie for Canadian thanksgiving 😭)
(4)

Send,

Sounds delicious! 😊
(1)

My brother gave me a good laugh yesterday. I was in the kitchen cooking and the doorbell rang. I went to the door and saw my brother, opened the door and he says, “Happy Thanksgiving!” LOL 😆

I replied, ‘Thanks, but you’re a day early!’ I invited him in for a cup of coffee and we chatted a bit before I had to run to the store for last minute shopping.

Somehow, my brother got his days mixed up. It was fine. We both laughed about it.
(4)

I'll take some of those cookies!
(2)

Dessert, CWillie, we will eat dessert!
Cranberry Walnut Oatmeal cookies.
Pumpkin Spice Loaf.
Pumpkin Pie.
Tiny dessertlets of apple pie.
Haagen Dazs Ice Cream /w Chocolate sauce.

I have not made the dressing yet, maybe later.
Or not.

Dessert is at 8 p.m. When can you get here?
(3)

Everyone left our home with leftovers. I cooked way more than we could possibly eat! We served a turkey and a ham with tons of our favorite sides.

Now I’m relaxing with a glass of wine. We enjoyed our day very much. Going to bed early tonight!

Hoping that everyone on the AgingCare forum had a wonderful holiday.
(3)

CWillie,, they will eat leftovers!! One of the best parts of Thanksgiving!! We sent enough for 2 meals home with one of our guests so he and another Batchlor buddy can have it tomorrow, and our DD took a good bit home as well as her BF requested it because he loves my hubs cooking ( not sure what that says about his families cooking. LOL ) So we were able to get rid of quite a bit, as there are only we two here. My DD brought a pumpkin cheesecake from the local health food store and that stuff was SINFUL!! No way was it healthy but hey, no complaints here!
(5)

Happy Thanksgiving to all American friends.
Lots to be grateful for even in difficult times.
NHWM,
love your quote, allow me to copy it:
” Don’t allow anyone to steal your joy away from you.”
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter