Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Golden, what wonderful news! Best wishes to you all for a successful and uneventful surgery.
(2)

Wonderful news, Golden! What a relief for you and your family! Good job, DD, for getting through all the treatments -- it can't be easy. Praying for smooth sailing through the surgery. Awesome!

How are you, Llama? I hope you're mostly recovered.

Gershun, I've been reading along and sympathizing. I have a lot of daily/weekly neck pain and the joints in my neck feel like they are dry rubbing against each other -- no cushion. I've gotten by with an electric rotating-heads neck massager that I really like. I hope you find some good tools for your pain-relief arsenal.
(4)

Good news Golden. Praise the Lord indeed!
(1)

Golden, Praise The Lord!

I am rejoicing for your DD and family.

Believing it is scar tissue only!
(2)

llama - hope you are feeling better

gershun - (((((hugs))))

Bless God. The chemo has done a great job for my dd. Ultrasound showed no lymph node involvement any more and the surgeon said the breast mass, which is smaller, may be scar tissue only. It's a huge relief. Dd feel she is recovering from the chemo daily. Surgery is set for June 29th. Many thanks for your prayers and thoughts in the past and ahead.
(12)

speedy recovery llamalover, i hope you're ok!! :) :)

gershun, i hope you feel better soon!! :) :)
(2)

Gershun, I had dry needling done in my foot for chronic plantar faciitis. Did several rounds of it, and my PF did go away, but not immediately. Can't really say if that's what helped or not. I hope it helps you. Otherwise, TENS therapy may be an option? Not the OTC kind, the real kind. I'm trying to find the beginning of your arthritis comments to see where your pain is...is it in your neck? Just wondering because I have another option to suggest but it's not indicated for the neck. Where I live (MN) we have a large Orthopaedic network which has a Pain Clinic. They take you through every option under the sun to get pain managed (only what you're willing to do). Do you have such an option near where you live?
(2)

I’m sorry to keep on, but please try the turmeric. I’ve got lazy because the codeine is so easy and the turmeric tastes so crook (for me at least). It is sold on line in a very expensive combination, with a lot of dubious extras that will stop you from dying of anything. But you can make your own. Like I said, 70% turmeric, 20% black pepper and 10% ginger. It doesn’t have to be all that accurate, I just use that number of teaspoonfuls to make a jar of powder, shake, and then take out a spoonful to mix up with joghurt and swallow. Find a health food shop that sells larger packets of the ingredients, not the tiny overpriced bags in the supermarket. What have you got to lose? You can always use it up in curries!

I really get angry about the clamp down on codeine. The drug companies and doctors did the wrong thing, and people in pain now pay the price. My doctor agrees, and gets me the right approval for 180 tablets at a time. You could try another doctor, perhaps?
(2)

Thank you Margaret, Geaton and everyone. You have all given me great advice.

It's next to impossible to get any kind of pain killer here that isn't over the counter. I live in Vancouver where there is a real bad drug abuse problem. Unfortunately what that means for people like me who don't want to use drugs recreationally? We're basically out of luck. They monitor it really hard. I practically had to get on my hands and knees and beg my Doc for ativan. He gives me eight a month that I can only get refilled after thirty days. If I asked him for codeine he'd probably have a heart attack so I won't even try. But thx for the suggestions.

I had some dry needling today with the physio guy. I'd never had it done before. He inserted two into my trapezius area. I'm not sure if it helped or not. I did feel really sleepy afterwards though. Other than that just the usual exercises and light massage.

Just plodding along.............but thx again you guys.
(3)

Excellent game!
(1)

Great game!
(1)

Geaton,
Thanking you for the reminder of the Lidocaine pain patches!
I was aware of them in 2014, then lost track when a prescription was needed but became hard to get. I do have some Lidocaine Ointment 5% that my husband used, expired in 2014!

It is so unlike me to keep, or use something expired.

I am going to order some patches (OTC comes in 4%) and use them for both of us.

Thank you!

Amazing what we forget we once knew!

I had a grandparent use the phrase" "At my age, I have forgotten more than you will ever know". Lol.
(4)

Sendhelp: thanks, I didn't know that tidbit of proper usage. I usually don't cover the entire patch, just put enough tape on the edges so that it doesn't fall off (the patch is sticky, but can roll off easily, especially if worn under clothing).
(2)

Lidocaine patches:
I found this warning a long time ago, and just now recalled it after Geaton mentioned it. This is not against Geaton's way of doing things, we just need to be aware of any contraindications for the general population.

"7) Don't cover lidocaine patches tightly with bandages — unless instructed by your provider. This can affect the amount of lidocaine that gets absorbed through your skin. 8) Avoid applying heat pads or electric blankets to where the lidocaine patches are placed on your skin. " (Online sources).
(1)

Gershun, I have base joint arthritis in my hands and dread the thought of the inevitable surgery to end the pain and weakness (and so I can continue to play tennis and grip the racquet). I've had cortisone shots in both joints, with no effect (and...ow ow ow). My current solution is lidocaine patches (Salon Pas is the brand I get from amazon.com). To make them last I cut them to size and then secure them further with medical tape. The relief is local, so your whole system isn't bathed in medicine, and it lasts for about 8 hours. The NH were my MIL resides uses these patches for her back pain to cut down on pills that cause constipation. Low-risk, easy to get, no prescription necessary, and affordable...maybe worth a try? So sorry you are in pain!
(4)

Gershun, arthritis isn’t curable, so far as I know. It causes pain. Please think again about pain relief. Pain is in part a ‘mind game’, and you can often make it go away with relaxation. Warmth (hot water bottle under it, floppy because not too full), distraction (an interesting book you can read lying down), and pain killers.

Pain killers have a long and interesting history. In Oz when I was a kid it was ‘a cup of tea, a Bex, and a good lie down’. Then Bex turned out to be a dangerous combination of drugs, and Bex went broke. Next it was aspirin. Then aspirin turned out to ruin your kidneys and stomach lining, so now it’s just mini-aspirin for heart issues. Lydia Pinkerton’s famous Medicinal Compound has disappeared into musical history. Remember ‘Let’s drink – drink – drink to ‘Lillie the Pink – Pink- Pink, the saviour of the human race. She invented Medicinal Compound, most efficacious in every case’?

Codeine was developed over 100 years ago, as the safest and least addictive opioid, at a time when some people still smoked opium (like Sherlock Holmes). It has the least effect on the brain, no great druggy highs to yearn for. It just makes me tired or sends me to sleep. I take a tablet with 30mgs of codeine together with 500 mgs paracetamol. It kicks in after 45 minutes. The maximum daily dose of paracetamol is 4000 mgs (8 tablets), which is considerably more dangerous than codeine. Codeine’s effects are nothing like cocaine, which people sometimes confuse with it. I sometimes don’t need any in a day, and I don’t think I’ve ever taken more than 4 tablets.

The recent scare about opioids was brought about by the development of much stronger versions, like Oxycontin and Fentanyl. They were pushed to doctors by the industry, widely prescribed, resulted in major addictions, and now major law suits and pressure on doctors. Codeine got tarred with the same brush, unfortunately. Our Bureau of Statistics list of overdose deaths includes any that are ‘opioid related’. I wrote to ask a medical researcher about the supposed deaths from codeine, and he confirmed that all cases he knew were when too many tablets caused an overdose of paracetamol!

If you want to try something ‘natural’, mix up a pot of powdered turmeric, black pepper and ginger in a 7:2:1 mix, and swallow a teaspoonful in milk or water. It tastes disgusting, but it really does work. It also kicks in in 45 minutes. Try if you can get it down. Cooking quantities aren’t therapeutic.

See your doctor about pain control. Or go to a pain clinic at a hospital. Look after yourself. We are all grateful for modern medicine – eg anesthesia for surgery. Nothing gets proved by being ‘tough’.

Love, Margaret
(4)

Gershun,
I ordered a neck pillow, it came today.
It's too big, too hard.
Thinking I will cut it in half with a razor (memory foam). Just like you, there are other specialty pillows I could now re-design-useless in their current state.

I was thinking that I was eating properly, but tonight after a salad and veggies, I cooked a small piece of chicken breast, and now I am feeling more calm, comfortable, and finally full.

So, are you eating enough of what will satisfy you?

Always consider your whole body needs, not just your neck. I stopped going to the physiatrist (physical medicine doctor) when having to drive 45 min., pay cash, and they only focused on my piriformis muscle. Even though it was helping, the time and expense, and neglecting everything else was prohibitive, imo.
(1)

Thx Margaret, Today has been a bad day. I'm feeling discouraged. Being in discomfort all the time is tiring. I'm looking exhausted. Dark circles under my eyes.

I go for my second physio tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.
(4)

Gershun, I’d never say ‘don’t give it a go’ about physio. I’ve ‘given it a go’ to every therapy and device under the sun over the 50+ years of scoliosis. I’d just say don’t spend too much time and money if it doesn’t seem to be working. I’ve had natural therapists say ‘If it hurts, it means it’s working’, and ‘If it’s not causing more pain, it means it’s working’. I was forced read a fake doctoral thesis on ayurveda about treatment to a group of less than 20 people in India, which claimed both! It was given as a free treatment to paupers, which raises a whole lot more placebo issues. I saw a booth at an alternative medicine show where the very interested people told me they could cure my scoliosis, but it would take up to 45 sessions. Oh really?

You might try a TENS unit, that can work. It puts a mild electric current through an area close to the spine, which can ‘scramble’ the electrical pulses in the body that transmit the pain to and from the brain. I thought it was mumbo-jumbo when I first read about it, but the ‘electrical pulses’ are actually true. I should probably try it again. I lost my first unit when our house burned down, and when I tried another the sales person turned it up to max and I spent the next few days in bed. Be careful.

Keep your brain working and your hand on your wallet!
(3)

Diclofenac is a very strong anti-inflammatory. Voltaren, neurofen, ibuprofen etc, are also anti-inflammatories, but weaker. The creams did nothing for me. The pills worked for 3 days before I got serious stomach pain. My doctor said that 5% of the population cannot tolerate them at all, and another 5% need stomach drugs at the same time to tolerate them OK. You should always take them with food.

A locum doctor said I should try them as suppositories. I did, and 3 days later the stomach pain kicked in. My doctor’s face when I told him was deadpan. He said quietly that they enter the bloodstream as suppositories, just the same. I suspect the locum got told!

It might be worth trying weaker anti-inflammatories in pill form – less risky.

It might help to have a small firm pillow by your head in bed, rather than a ‘side-sleeper’ posture pillow. That way you can push it out of the way if you roll over. I do this.
(3)

Oh by the way, Countrymouse thanks for that uplifting story about the cattle and the vultures. Was gonna have beef tonight but on second thought...... ;)
(4)

gershun - my ex swore by Kalaya 6X and R says it is good. It's only available in Canada.
(2)

Gershun the cream was crap for me and my Mother,, But the pills are better for me I am also a side sleeper,, wish I was not
(2)

Golden, thank-you and I agree about being mindful of my posture. I'm really trying with that. Sleeping is hard cause I'm a side sleeper. I've bought so many posture pillows over the years that were useless. Pam as for Diclofenac I've used it. I've used the gel only. It works a bit but it's not the be all and end all.

Thx again everyone for all of your responses. Sorry for monopolizing this thread with my arthritis saga.
(4)

Countrymouse,, I have been taking it for a year now with no problems. I don;t take it every day, but I do take on work days. I talked to the pharmacist at work and she said I would be better off taking it every day but I dont.. LOL Good info to know however! Sorry you had such a bad reaction! It was prescibed for my arthritis,,
(2)

Oo Pam, just on my way to bed but saw your post -

Diclofenac is a very very effective anti-inflammatory but if you want to be able to continue using it be *meticulous* in following directions; and if you get even a hint of the side effects, especially bleeding or bruising, report it immediately. If you wanted to use it long term for arthritis, I think I'd actually take advice on that point specifically, e.g. should you take breaks, are there any other things you can do to protect yourself so that you can go on using it, that kind of question.

Its use in cattle in India almost wiped out the vulture population about twenty years ago before they figured out the connection - the vultures were eating carcases that still contained the drug.

On a more personal note, I was px'd it for RSI/carpel tunnel and it worked like a charm. Then less than a week later I had a bm of pure blood and decided I had better do my hand exercises and stop playing minesweeper instead.

It's bit too dam'ed effective, seems to be the thing...
(4)

Gershun I also have bad arthritis, and I have found the diclofenac (sp) pill to be very helpful,, one of my friends got a script for it after I did and she loves it too. It is a pill form of Voltarin cream,, which was useless for me. I have been through alot of stuff,, none lasts forever but while it works it is better than nothing. I am also trying to avoid surgury.
(2)

cw -totally agree with that. There is no magic pill or whatever for most health issues. Improving takes hard work and usually doesn't get you back to where you were before.
(2)

Golden - what I was trying to say is that I think people who have unrealistic expectations are more apt to report that physio (or other therapies) were of no benefit, or no lasting benefit.
(4)

gershun -so glad you have a diagnosis and treatment. Sorry you have arthritis but better to know it and treat it. Being mindful of your neck tension and addressing that should help and should physio. I had it for my arm and shoulder and it made a big positive difference.

cw - Mother was a physiotherapist and PT is more than your attitude. For example tendons can be stretched and muscles strengthened to take the pressure off of joints. She had several bad disks but had such good posture and body muscle strength she never had back problems.

glad - good to hear some prices are dropping in some places. Not great if you are the seller though.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter