Follow
Read More
Not here in Vancouver I hope.
(0)

Grapefruit size hail in Canada overnight?
(1)

The conservation officers killed a black bear that was roaming around the park where my mom's memorial bench is. I was very surprised to hear about it cause this park is very close to our rapid transit and is a busy area. The park itself is like a little oasis and I don't blame the bear for seeking shelter there. Why the conservation officer felt he needed to kill it is beyond me. The video I saw that a park visitor took of the bear showed that it looked more scared and confused than aggressive. Sad.
(4)

This is my favorite bear story this year! Make sure the you watch the video link.

https://www.southernliving/culture/activities-and-entertainment/outdoor-recreation/animals-and-wildlife/black-bear-nc-porch-woman-scares-teacher-voice

I.don't think that southern living link will work.

I bet this one will

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dUL6s5Y33X8

😁😁😁😁
(3)

We're not alone in bear sightings. This week we have a photo of a grown bear resting? on a concrete divider on the local interstate and a camera showing a bear prowling around a city house during the night. We have had bears around here and have had to chase them off with firecrackers and gunfire. I think the pool encounter was because my nephew took the dogs to work with him so they could warn his crew about snakes.

I have a rifle mounted over my front door with the magazine in a digital lockbox behind the door. CPS really didn't like it but it meets their requirements of having firearms locked away. CPS asked why I "need" it there... because I value the kids more than the bears... and that includes any foster kids that stay here too. A mama bear coming after a cub can be very protective. We have only shot to scare but there may come a day when more is called for.

Our area has been settled with cleared farm land for about 200 years but the bears from the surrounding woods are coming in closer. Rangers aren't relocating the bears much anymore just come to kill them after they attack someone or get stuck in a car. Yes, lock your car doors in your driveway because the bears can open many vehicle doors.

Some campers thought they could just put their food in a tree (hung from rope over branch) instead of using the airtight containers the forest service recommended.. and woke to find a visitor just outside their tent. With two people getting killed when a tree fell over their tents it is not a great year for tent camping in NE TN.
(5)

CW, I'm not a big online person so a lot of this stuff catches me unaware. I'm not a suspicious person, just take things as they come. I don't understand Facebook arguments either.
(2)

I agree Willie.
(1)

Becky - There have always been people here who seem to believe there is some kind of secret cabal of trolls and/or posters who collude with the admins to do ??? and they have made it their business to call out those they believe are members - uh, yeah 🙄
Personally I don't really care why anyone is posting here as long as they are polite and not causing a flame war.
(4)

Plenty of Tahoe bears prefer pools and particularly hot tubs vs swimming in the lake! People up there have bear fireworks to hopefully dissuade them but what are u gonna do besides bear proof garbage? Those things have noses better than a dog and sometimes break in. Sad ending for bear when it meets a 45 inside the dwelling
(2)

Tech, We used to have a bear at the lake that came daily to rub his back against my stepsons log house. Had a whole forest of trees to choose from but liked the log house best.
(2)

Yesterday evening a poster said that she had been warned about me having multiple accounts. She did not reveal who gave her this warning and I don't care. I would like to state unequivocally I do NOT have multiple accounts. I have changed my username in the past, but I have made no effort to conceal that fact. I do not try to conceal my identity or residence location. I have my profile completed unlike many on the forum.
(6)

We watch out for the bears, usually in the evening. This week temps were in the low to.mid 90s several days and a mama bear and her two cubs were discovered in the above ground pool about 5:00. Left them alone and watched them from the windows... about 6:00 they got out using the stairs and went on their way... didn't even puncture the lining. I wonder why they liked the pool over the nearby creek and pond?
(5)

All of the poor souls lost in the floods. All of the families dealing with losing everything to water or fire.

May The Lord give them all strength, wisdom and courage!
(7)

I usually don't have problems staying on fluid restriction and keeping my CKD and diabetic diets straight. But today has been bad. I've had trouble figuring out what I wanted to eat and drink. Simply a difficult day to make it all balance out. At least my blood sugar was good and I didn't have to adjust my insulin injections.
(6)

So, I sent an anonymous e-mail to the Parks board yesterday and got a response back today. I didn't use my name or anything. Just asked them what their policy was re: moving benches without notifying family.

Apparently a film crew had been there and had temporarily moved some benches. They put some back in the wrong place. I was assured everything should be back to what it was on my next visit.

So all's well in that regard. I spent the last few days fuming for nothing. Ah well....
(13)

My normally empty mailbox had a letter in it today! What's this???

Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General
Sheriff's Office - Jury Administration

Do I want to open it?

No!

But of course I have, and it's just an eligibility form (whew!)
But .... 😬
(6)

In my experience adding chocolate is the easy part, stopping yourself from eating the whole bar is much harder!
(6)

A new study out of the UK shows cocoa is good for people with high blood pressure. That's easy to add my favorite dark chocolate bar to my afternoon routine!
(4)

Thx Willie and Golden.

I'm not done with the Parks board yet. Some people had contacted them a while back and said they wanted our spot. We said no, definitely not! So for them to go behind our backs and do it anyway doesn't sit right with me. Still working on it. Will keep you posted.
(4)

I too am sorry about your bench Gershun, and understand why you are upset.

Gordie's memorial bench is bolted in place, beside the trail, opposite the house. It won't be moved other than some major reconstruction there. I will miss it when I move, but have had many years to enjoy it. I knew I would be leaving it behind one day.

It's nearly 20 years since my Gordie was alive and well. Many memories!!!
(6)

Gershun - I'm sorry they moved your bench! That's one of the reasons I don't really like the idea of memorial benches, trees, paving stones or whatever, there is no guarantee they are permanent. When my great aunt died she left us her little piano that had been in he lounge of her apartment building for many decades but we had no place for it so graciously left it for the use of those living there. When management redecorated they just pitched it 🤷
(5)

Well my behind is sore today so all your virtual kicks in the fanny must have connected.

Thanks for that.

Angry today though cause I went to visit my mom and brother's memorial bench and the park had moved it. That bench has been in the same spot since 2003 when my brother died. For them to move it without even asking. I'm very pissed
off. It's going back there even if I have to move it myself.
(5)

Gershun - here's a virtual kick in the behind to get you out of your funk. You need to do some cardio exercise STAT, fast walking, jogging, etc., something to get your heart beating fast. During exercise, your body releases various hormones and some of these act as mood lifters. I guarantee that after a 15 minute cardio workout, you will feel much better.
(6)

It is your Super Power, Llama.

Discussion and jokes about Super Powers are on the General Topics thread.
(1)

Send: Thank you.
(1)

Nine years, and you are still polite and kind!
(2)

Send: Oh, okay. Hope you can get some rest. Sorry that you're overwhelmed. I have been on the forum for nine years.
(3)

Lol Llama- I knew that.
I was just joking with you.

I am over tired, and overwhelmed.

I was reading the forum way back in 2012, and was amazed how nice to each other posters were back then, how friendly towards each other people were.

Were you here back then? I was not.
(2)

Send: I said that it seems trite to say.
I am getting there and resting.
(2)

Llama,
Tripe is a horrible looking food.

I hope Gershun feels better soon too.

Surely that swift kick will do the trick!

Are you feeling better, Llama?
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter