Follow

We all know the horrible bowel problems of the elderly.

As if that isn’t bad enough.

How in the world, can a parent ask me to wash under her breast for a yeast infection, which I have been caring for a week, while laying supine in her bed, and upon lifting the night gown.....feces is all over the crotch, folds on the thighs, up to the belly button.

How the hell does that happen???????????

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I have 14 grandkids and I have been alternately shocked and amazed at how much poop they can expel during a 'blowout'--literally up to their armpits and down their legs.

They also lay 'supine' and a nighttime blowout was the worst! At least with a 'little' you can handle it pretty easily, but why should we be surprised when an elderly person does basically the same thing? And babies won't usually dig in their diapers---adults will.
(1)

How? Seriously? It's common. Grandma used to do it all the time. Happily she hasn't done it in a while. I feel like putting up a sign on the wall, "We haven't had a poop smear in X days."
(1)

I’m so sorry that you have all of this to deal with. Very messy. Plus, it’s disturbing to know that your mom is uncomfortable in this situation. Feel for you and your mom.

Best wishes.
(0)

OMG is right. This was one reason my Mom ended up at an AL. She had a blow out in the middle of the night. It looked like the toilet had thrown up. It was all over. A path back to her chair but...nothing on her night gown but a spot the size of a quarter. She had taken her Depends off. I did a quick clean up of the bathroom to get her showered. It took me 3 hrs to clean up, I cried. I can't stand smells.

I hope you are doing more than just washing under her breasts. This infection needs a prescription cream. My Mom was a large breasted woman. She got this when skin was on skin. I had the NH and AL make sure she was always wearing a bra. Cotton is what she wore. It breaths.
It takes a while for a yeast infection to clear up and it itches. Better to be proactive and prevent it.
(3)

If she was lying on her back it had nowhere else to go (yes, I've BTDT)
(2)

we took mom out to eat today (she is afraid to leave the house right now due to the virus) and she ate a salad. We didn't make it home in time,, she barely made it to the toilet and what a mess. So I guess that is the last time we will get her out of the house for the next month! And she wears depends. I feel for you.. what a mess!
(2)

I showered her 2 days prior. I scrubbed every inch, even between toes.
I get the loose stools.....dealt with this a long time.
You expect the bum, back of thighs to be soiled....but up to belly on the front??????
(1)

Is she able to bathe? Shower? If you assist her? Do you sponge bathe her? Is she terribly modest? Most elderly are and they wish to remain independent but need help. So sorry that you are struggling with this.

Best wishes to you and your mom.
(0)

Great answer, Rainmom.
(1)

How does that happen?

Take a look at her fingernails and I do believe you’ll have your answer.
(6)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter