Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I will tell all my neighbours to stop complaining.

Today I have learned:

1. This unusually pleasant weather we are having is NOT a heatwave, don't be silly.
2. How to spell Poughkeepsie.
(1)

Water. Water is the answer. For me anyway. Getting wet as frequently as possible in summer is what spared me from having to leave this desert region of Canada.

Frequent showers. Before I started staying with mom, I used to start stripping the second I closed my door behind me, beelining straight for the shower. It wasn't even about washing. It was just about getting wet, head to toe. Fortunately, mom has central air, so nobody has to witness me strip.

Swimming.  Any time, any lake.

Lawn sprinklers. 

Plain old garden hose.

Spray bottle. Even though it seems like a minor trick, try spraying yourself with that cooling mist and sitting in front of a fan. Delicious. One elderly lady I know brings a spray bottle to Canada Day festivities every year, and sprays everyone on the dance floor. People practically line up for this.

Sluicing water on my skin straight from the tap, if necessary. Wet clothes will dry quickly...but they feel so good when they're still wet.  I've also been known to dump the contents of a water bottle over my head.

Also.....I lose all sense of body shame when the super hot weather comes. Unshorn legs and flabby arms be damned. I wear strappy tank tops and thin cotton sarongs all summer. I am not built for this style, but who cares, lol.  (Never been able to give up the bra though.  I wear cotton styles in the summer.) 

I'm not too proud to carry an umbrella around in the summer, either.

One thing I've never managed to circumvent, though, is how stupid my brain becomes in the heat. It's like a fog rolling over my ability to think.

I think hoop skirts were probably ok in summer, as long as they didn't wear crinolines? Wasn't the cage of the hoop skirt meant to replace crinolines? It sounds like it would be like a giant umbrella protecting your legs from the sun!

Edit: just found this gem while searching Google for what women wore under hoop skirts: https://www.racked.com/2017/12/7/16717206/cage-crinoline-feminism-class
(1)

cargo pants would be great!
but I hate my legs :( I used to have cute legs. now they're just white with varicose veins and sometimes I don't shave everyday! TMI (im female, wallys my cat) im just too self conscience! I'll wear whatever I want at home, but not out in public :)
(2)

Maine is unseasonably hot. We have central air which is great. But, not used to the humidity at all.
(1)

Tacy, I've read elsewhere that pines are dying off b/c of a specific type of pine bark beetle or borer, but don't remember where it was, out west I think more in a wilderness area. Someone had posted a photo of a whole stand of pines decimated by the beetles or borers. This was in a wilderness area.

But that doesn't mean that it hasn't spread to Michigan. People are so mobile these days; who knows what hitches a ride home after a car sits in a wilderness parking lot while someone is hiking or camping.

I love pines; they're so graceful, and they add so much to an area.

In craft magazines I've seen place mats and other crafty items made of pine needles; I tried it once but it takes some practice. I understand Native Americans are experts at this.

I envy you - I'd love to eat a box of ice cream sandwiches (or especially Klondike bars) but I'd look like a blimp in a few days!

Wally, would cotton cargo pants be better than jeans? I avoid them b/c denim is so heavy, especially in summer. I've found that seersucker is lightweight and cool. In fact when it's cooler I'm going to dig out my stash or seersucker and make some cool scrub outfits to wear outside. I like the scrubs b/c they're easy to make - no buttons, no zippers.

CW, we're supposed to get a good storm or more in the next day or so. I noticed it was so dry yesterday when I was outside; I could feel my sinuses protesting this morning. Rain, rain, don't stay away!

FF, I too wonder how people were able to wear so much confined clothing in hot weather at a time when there was no such thing as A/C. Women especially wore miserably long sleeved gowns, or like Scarlett O'Hara, hoops and petticoats...I wonder how often they passed out from the heat? But then they didn't get up to catch a train or subway and go to work every day. And Scarlett had slaves to fan her and keep her cool.

I need to upgrade my A/C; it'll be wonderful when I can cool the house down just by turning it on.

I recall years ago when A/C was just being integrated into homes, and many people considered it a luxury. But not only does it cool, it removes moisture, and prevents mold from forming (more than it already does in wet areas). I think it's a "better invention than sliced bread".
(2)

Oh this darn heat, unseasonably high temps. Way back before air conditioning was developed, Senators and Congressmen here in D.C. would take the train and head for the hills in the summer, literally, to guest houses where it was a tad bit cooler. If one saw the clothing of the 1800's makes you wonder why people didn't drop from the heat when they walked out the door. Hoop skirts, anyone?

For myself, I do keep the drapes and curtains closed. Thank goodness the curtains are white light weight cotton so it doesn't feel like a cave.

Stopped the soda drinking and went to just water now. Not very hungry. Last night we had cereal for supper. Nothing else appealed.

A few years ago I did upgrade my central air as the original unit was on its last legs. I got a 16 SEER type [think of SEER like mpg for a car] of A/C which cost a bit more but has been worth the extra cost. Cools the house very quickly, and doesn't run constantly. It's set at 71 degrees. My parents had a much lower SEER, and it struggled to keep the house cool even set at 85 :P

Don't get me started on clothing, especially bras in this heat !!!
(1)

I'm enjoying my newly upgraded central air, I had to dip deep into savings for it but I'm glad I did.... the new tires and prescription glasses can wait. It is not just the heat though, despite a good soaking rain a while ago (hmm, when was that?) it is very dry, I've been forced to water or all my plants will perish.

(edit)To include elder care into my comment: there are several facilities in the area that have older A/C units that are struggling to keep up, outdoor activities like the Canada Day barbecue at mom's NH have been cancelled and staff are pushing fluids.
(2)

~~popsicles~~ just ate 2

haha they're so yummy. ive grown up with heat. but I don't like it so much any more.
I pretty much keep the same schedule of activities. maybe go real early to grocery store to avoid groceries in the heat/car.

I hate trying to keep my potted plants watered. and I miss my hot cups of tea, that I enjoy in winter time.

the thing I dislike is I don't wear shorts any more. I wear jeans, but I wish someone made a pair of light weight jeans. (I try to pick the lightest weight I can find)
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter