Follow

I am wondering how many out there have ever had a "legitimate" complaint with a care facility? I am guessing LOTS! Now, how were your loved ones who are in the facility, being treated after the complaint? From what I have gathered... not so good! It seems that the complaint, whatever it is ,is being taken out on the person who is supposed to be getting the care?! What recourse can be taken against this? When we place someone in these facilities, we do some homework first, but you only see what they want you to see!!! The laws aren't as clear here in this area, at least not to me. How can we protect our loved ones from becoming the brunt of this? Since we can't be there 24/7 to see exactly what retaliation is happening to them? All because we voiced a complaint?!! There are Laws against "Elder Abuse", doesn't this classify as such? And can we use "Nanny Cams"?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
You might want to look into this organization www.theconsumervoice.org
I know of what you speak from firsthand experience. I think every nursing home admission family member shoud be offered the chance to join a family member's list to exchange information about what they are experiencing in that nursing home so that if problems exist, they can go strong as a group and get them corrected. Otherwise, you stand alone in most cases.

From their website:
The National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care was formed as NCCNHR (National Citizens' Coalition for Nursing Home Reform) in 1975 because of public concern about substandard care in nursing homes. The Consumer Voice is the outgrowth of work first achieved by advocates working for Ralph Nader and later for the National Gray Panthers. Elma Holder, NCCNHR founder, was working with The Long-Term Care Action Project of the Gray Panthers when she organized a group meeting of advocates from across the country to attend a nursing home industry conference in Washington, DC. At that meeting, representatives of 12 citizen action groups spoke collectively to the industry about the need for serious reform in nursing home conditions. The consumer attendees were inspired to develop a platform of common concerns and motivated to form a new organization to represent the consumer voice at the national level. Most of the original members had witnessed and endured personal experiences with substandard nursing home conditions.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter