Follow

Hi everyone,

This is one time I wanted to be wrong about the NH experience, sadly that is not the case.

Here's hoping there are some changes in the future, most notably the administrative staff.

One positive, there are still some really good people in the industry. Sadly, they are few and far between.

Find Care & Housing
NeedHelpWithMom

Thank you so much again!!!

For those members who have loved ones in NHs, be sure to keep tabs on payments, especially if through insurance.

I haven't been on here for a while because of an "incident" at the facility, namely, they didn't submit paperwork to get compensated by insurance so they were going to do a less then 30 days discharge. Payment can hopefully be resolved, still.

Oh yeah, get a copy or at least look at their medical records so you don't see any "surprises".
(0)

ChoppedLiver,

Good to know! Thanks for posting this information.

When my mom and dad were in rehab facilities, I closely monitored what was going on.

There were a few issues that were concerning. Had they been minor issues, I would have ignored them. I didn’t expect perfection. So often, they are shorthanded and they don’t get paid enough for their hard work.

Sometimes more action is needed. The facility that my father was in was shut down by the state. Needless to say, it was awful.

The facility that my mother was in was good overall, but there was one serious issue where mom was double dosed with her Parkinson’s medication. I reported the incident to the DON.

I was fortunate that my mother told me about the incident. The DON spoke to the LPN who said that she wanted to save a trip going back mom’s room later on to give her the next dosage.

The nurse told my mom that a double dose wouldn’t hurt her. Mom didn’t want to question her authority but was uncomfortable that she took a double dose. She told me about it the next morning. The DON wrote up the LPN and kept her out of mom’s room.

It’s important that we are strong advocates for our family members in facilities. Hopefully, those who don’t have any advocates will be able to reach out and receive help.
(1)

All of the comments that said to do your research, are absolutely correct. What might be tolerable behavior to one person, might be intolerable to another.

Another resource that has not been mentioned is the Long Term Care Ombudsman Program (LTCOP) which is a requirement for every state. See what resources they have. In my state, LTCOP volunteers are the ones that visit the nursing facilities and rate them. They are the ones who have the capability of removing a nursing home's license.
(2)

You’re welcome, Cover. Keep on keeping on! 😊
(1)

NeedHelpWithMom

Thanks so much!! Bless You!!!

Yes I am so excited (was approved last Fri). The assessor even said I was approved before the assessment, it was just a formality to fill out the paperwork. This has been quite a journey to get this far ( had to contact my Reps to get final financials processed which was the holdup, hence being in the facility as long as I have)

Which came to part of the reason for this thread. In a nutshell, it seems there was some animosity between the previous social worker and some of the administrative staff.

Thanks so much again, NeedHelpWithMom for your encouragement and kind words. They've really helped, especially with what has happened this week ( another post, another day). I'll definitely post what is going on.

You're the Best!!! ♥️🙏🏾
(1)

Anabanana writes: "We hung around the parking area and asked visitors coming and going about their experiences." This is excellent advice not just for Nursing Homes, but for any living situation for Seniors, i.e. Independent and Assisted Living, etc.
(2)

Cover,

I am thrilled that you have been approved for a program that will give you some assistance. That’s great news! 😊

Please keep us updated on your progress. I am rooting for you to improve your health as much as possible.

It isn’t easy to get through challenging situations. I am proud of you for hanging in there and seeking the best path for you to take.

Wishing nothing but the best for you!
(3)

Anabanana

Sadly many don't have that opportunity and have to make a choice on the fly, especially being discharged from a hospital.
(1)

@NeedHelpWithMom

Thanks so much, you as well, Thank you!!!

I actually am and have applied and been approved for a program for assistance. I've learned so much from the experience with the program and have not even met the Coordinator I would be working with which leads to..

You'd be surprised (or not) of the goings that can ( and probably do) at many of these facilities.
(1)

When my mother was about to be released by the hospital to a home, we quickly toured it and checked reviews and records online. We hung around the parking area and asked visitors coming and going about their experiences. Communication? Attention to detail? Is their loved one content? How’s the food? Staff turnover? Overall impressions?
(2)

I don’t think anyone can honestly say that all nursing homes are good. Nor can they say that all nursing homes are bad.

I do feel that we have to do as much research as possible before we choose a nursing home. We should absolutely go and see several nursing homes in person rather than relying on websites or reviews.

I hope things improve for you soon. Take care, Cover.
(2)

Do Your research First on Nursing Homes - ask a senior center their opinion , Go on YELP Read Reviews , Go To Propublica check for patterns of neglect reported to medicare , Find what what Doctor covers the Nursing Home . A Place can Look bright and cheery and abuse is going On. The best Place for advice is the senior center .
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter