Follow

My Mum is POA (everything) for a couple she has known for over 60 years. The wife is in a nursing home that is privately owned. The husband is an an Assisted Living place about 20 minutes away.

The nursing home owns three facilities in our area, probably more in the province. Mum got a letter from them yesterday stating that if any of their residents comes down with Covid-19, they will not be transferred to hospital. I am not sure if this is a Provincial Health Order, or a company policy.

On Vancouver Island two hospitals have been set aside for Covid cases, and a total of 17 across the province.

It is amazing how the community has pulled together. Distilleries are making hand sanitizer for hospitals, care facilities, nor for profit agencies and families with immune compromised members.

People are responding to the demand for face masks, scrub caps and more. A local company with a UV sterilizer is putting the masks and caps through their process before they go to the hospital.

A Canadian hockey gear manufacturer is making face shields for medical workers.

Canadians are for the most part taking social distancing seriously.

I met a man today who had a strong Italian accent. When I asked him where in Italy he was from, he said Milano. He almost came to tears as he told me about his 85 years old father who has been in lock down for 3 weeks and fears for his life. He calls every morning before going to work, not knowing if it will be the last time he talks to his father. It was heart breaking to talk to him.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Thank you, GardenArtist. Like Daughterof1930, I can accept there may be good reasons not to transfer a Covid-19 patient to the hospital. My point was the POA should know how the NH will isolate stricken patients, and what measures will be taken for those struggling to breathe. (Perhaps this NH has provided this info already.)
(1)

Linzy, I believe that Tothill is in Canada, and there may be different protocols there about transferring from a private facility to a hospital.
(2)

I can understand the nursing home in this, not saying they are right or wrong as there may be hard decisions to be made in the coronavirus times. Most people in nursing homes are in their final time of life with life ending or life limiting conditions. They aren’t leaving there alive. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but other than residents there solely for short term rehab (many of whom are repeat customers who cycle through periodically) the vast majority of nursing home residents will pass away during their time there. Sadly, my mother did. If resources are stretched in hospitals due to the virus and the very elderly with other conditions such as nursing home residents don’t have hopeful prognosis, then it’s pragmatic to keep them where they are. A sad and harsh reality of the times we’re living in. We can all act like death isn’t part of life but it remains inevitable for us all. And for some, perhaps a welcome way out of this world.
(1)

If I were that couple's POA, I would be seeking clarity on the NH's statement about not sending Covid-19 patients to the hospital. Why not? What will the NH do in the event a patient experiences severe breathing difficulties?
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter