Follow

I say "bye, I'm leaving. I will see you tomorrow morning" as I walk to the front door. Mom starts to get up from the sofa to follow me. I say "watch me from the window". She sits down. I go out the front door, I put the key into the lock and turn it. I wait a bit. She gets up, walks to the door, turns the lock and opens the door just a crack. I shout into the crack "mom, shut and lock the door and watch me from the front window". She opens the door all the way and announces, "What? (I repeat my request two more times) She then replies "But, I want to watch you as you drive ALL the way down the street until I can't see you any more and then I will lock the door. She remains in the doorway as I walk to the car. I go around the block, stop and check my phone to watch her from the indoor security camera as she closes the front door without turning the lock and returns to the sofa.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Among other things.
(0)

Lostinthemix Midnight high jinks in the kitchen?
(0)

My mil put a can of Pepsi in the microwave when she was living on her own in her own home. I forgot about that, not that it matters. She cannot operate a phone or remote, it seems she can't do much of anything for herself, however, it does appear she can do it ALL when we are sleeping. :)
(1)

Yes, JoAnn29, I do realize that my mom will not always be like this. She is 96.
(0)

Modern technology ain't it great. Tiny, maybe this iscsomething to think about.

You do realize, though, that Mom will not always be like this. The time will come she can't be alone. I took Mom in when she could no longer figure the phone out or the TV remote. She left a pan on the stove. I was lucky that my nephew lived with her but he did work. When she went to the AL I had them remove the microwave because I was afraid she would put something in it she shouldn't. Found the paper towels in the frig.
(0)

DeeAnna thanks for your suggestion it is reasonable, logical solution. My mother has a large bay window in the front of the house, windows all along the one side of the house and a large patio door with a view of the small back yard. I put a high wooden stool positioned that she can sit and have a view of all three. I will call her on the phone after I leave (while she is STILL at the door) I will watch her ignore the lock, turn and slowly walk over to the phone. After I identify myself: "Hi, Mom. Goodnight. I will see you tomorrow. Go lock the front door". She says "Ok, I will". I will watch her as she hangs up the phone, walks BACK to the sofa, turns on the complicated remote, and watches TV."

It is a very old door and I might have to replace both the door and the lock to install a smart lock. Replace keys for cleaner and home health aid (we use a key lock with combination that holds a spare). And the best part, train my mother how the new door handle would work. She has to be able to open it to receive her meals on wheels. I currently have a door sensor that alerts me when the door opens and again when it closes. Unfortunately, it does not tell me if the lock has be set.

I spent endless hours trying to figure out how to keep her bathroom door closed to keep the room warm enough for me to bathe her. Finally I placed a laminated poster on the door "Please keep this door closed so that it stays warm". Cute little photos of animals. After her repeated attempts to remove the sign, she freaked out. Hallucinations about people "writing all OVER the walls!" Went on for a couple of hours, motioning with her hands to the ceiling, upper walls, etc. I did not relent. She forgot about it and now closes the door after she uses the bathroom.

Yes, I like the smart lock concept. I just got to steel my nerves, plan my strategy and leap into the fray.
(0)

Have you thought of putting in a "smart" lock on the door--one that you can lock and unlock with your phone?
(0)

I love this.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter