Follow

I asked for a postponement aka leave of absence from taking my mft exam. I have not been able to study the way I should and need to because of caring for my mom. Only this group would understand this. the person i spoke to say we don't give leaves' of absenses for peope that don't have time to study. So, I am asking you to help me write a rebuttal about what it is like to be a single unmarried unrich caretaker for a mother. Since there is no money there is no respite for me. I need help in writing this. thank you

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I am back in school myself working on the undergraduate degree I could have more easily completed in my 20's. Yes, I know exactly where you're coming from. I am taking care of both parents with the help of private caregivers but still a lot of time goes into caring for the folks at home.

For instance, Mom just came home from rehab after a surgery. It takes 2 caregivers to do the toileting so even though I have someone here, I'm on call for the times she needs to go to the bathroom. I, also, stay with them throughout the night and whenever a caregiver can't come in for one reason or the other. So I have recently had to ask for extensions of time myself.

Here's what I did: I went to the hospital medical records dept and asked for help in counting how many times each parent was either in the ER or hospitalized from January through May. I think the number of times was something like 27. Since my instructors seem to understand once I put it in objective terms, it might be an approach for you. In other words, you need to give instructors evidence in one form or the other of where specifically your time went.

Also, I went to the undergraduate catalog where the school lists their policies and description of classes. I found where the rules were about extensions and paraphrased that wording in my written request.

I'd be more than happy to help you off board to put together a formal request, if you want - my email is carolamaderer@gmail.com.

Carol
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter