Follow

If your loved one had a good sense of humor and now has Alzheimer's, I found that teasing my wife would make her laugh and happy. I was told by her neurologist that whatever I was doing to keep it up because she was happy and that is not usual for someone with her disease.

She had it for 11 years and I kept her at home until she died two years ago.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
With so many sad stories here, your post was a breath of fresh air. You must have been a wonderful husband, friend to her. And the generosity with gifting her with laughter in her last days. Cannot thank you enough for a smile.
(1)

You are wise and wonderful. And what you say is so true. I often hear caregivers say that their husband or wife gets along with their parent better because they are less frustrated, and can tease and joke with them. It takes SO much pressure off a patient not to have to hear "Don't you REMEMBER". Or "you just ASKED me that!". Humor can go such a long way. But with pressure it is sometimes the hardest thing to salvage. My bro and I often laugh together about the vagaries of life as we age. It is kind of ironic humor, or "black" humor, but it works for US. Hope you stick around and participate on the forum a whole lot, because people need what you have!
(1)

Thank you for that valuable insight! Bless you for your loving sacrifice. May you have peace in your heart!
(2)

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter