Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
hey ASG, having a hard time here this morning and don't know what to do, Mom has been having trouble getting up and down to the toilet, finally this morning she said she could not do it, I tried getting the bedpan under her, I can't lift her, so I tried getting a diaper on her, she can't roll on her back, I can't lift her so I barely got it in a place that it might work... I just don't know what to do.. Sitting here crying my eyes out isn't going to solve anything... any words of advice?
(0)

Ladee, sent you a message on fb, love ya :0)
(0)

I know she always get more then me ,once in a while when we get to visited a place to eat ,she get a full plate and I wind up with half,but I tell them and their rely is that she know how to order better then me. Oh well it works out because she only eats half so I make out good all the way around.
(1)

I'm glad Betty is feeling better.......maybe it was that big ol' hug that helped....:)
(0)

What do I think about ASG's cat? That she should give the cat to some friend and tell Auntie that the cat escaped. It's not Auntie's fault, but she is really torturing that poor animal. Of course cats don't want to be "fed". They are so independent! That cat will develop some serious mental problems if he stays in Auntie's hands much longer, and he will become so aggressive that you won't manage the situation anymore. So, my advice is: "Away the cat!" (and, please, don't cut his nails!!!)
Ladee, I don't work a lot to accumulate money! I work a lot to pay the bills and I am always full of debts! My mother's helpers cost a lot of money and then you have the heating, the electricity, the taxes, the things that get broken and you have to call someone to fix them and they earn in one day what I earn in one week. I prefer to spend 90 per cent of my money paying the helpers, because when my mother will not be here anymore, I shall have to work to support myself so I cannot leave my job (if I go out from the "world of translations" now, I won't be able to come back in 2, 3, 10 years, whenever is the time my mother leaves me!) There are very rich people in Italy; not me! And most of the people I know. We have to struggle hard, hard, hard! (just to make an example, I had to pay a 500 dollars bill of electricity and I have to translate 4 films to earn that amount of money!)
(1)

Wise words onacliff.....I'm glad you are enjoying these last days, weeks, months with your mother. They will be memories to cherish forever. Not everyone has the good in their life, but it is something that we can hold onto that may be there someday. I'm happy that you haven't left yourself out of the equation, sounds like you know exactly what you and your mother need. Hey, say as little or as much as you want. If you notice, I'm usually pretty long-winded.....:)

Love and Hugz,
Jam
(0)

She was feeling that and I have some here that her heart doctor gave her and I also have some for me,but I am not taking any chances with her condition,Diabetic and all
(0)

johnny.....are you saying Betty has tingling in her arm and leg and feet? Why is she taking Nitro? Not being nosy.....oh yes I am....it's the medical side of me coming out....:)
(0)

Starri, I would suggest the diapers which have the shape of pants (like Tena). They are much more accepted than the ones that have the shape of the diapers for babies... She can go to the bathroom and lower them, so she feels more independent. In the other hand, if she doesn't get to the bathroom, she is protected...
(0)

Betty has some tinkly on her arm and leg n feet hopefully I will not have to call 911 tonight,I gave her some nitro and she feels better. johnnycares.
(0)

You earn your zzzzzzzz rest 4 the next day G N johnnycares
(0)

Johnny, to think that your wife would think I am nice has just made my whole day....give her a BIG HUG from me. I haven't been very nice today, so that give me hope !!

Starri......eight whole hours.......woohoo........I am jealous....my meal out with hubby on Tuesday already feels like it was 3 yrs. ago. He took a ride on the bike this afternoon just to get away from hearing mom call MY name all day. Geeez!

Bedpan use: (as I have seen it done ) Put baby powder on the fat rim. Have patient roll to one side as far as possible. Hopefully the entire backside is exposed. If not, slide under as far as necessary. Place pan against buttocks and roll patient to her back, thereby putting her on it. The powder makes it slippery enough to slide and doesn't smell bad either. Hope that helps, and there are 2 sizes of bedpans. You may want her to bend her knees to get in a more familiar position. Fat rim goes under the butt. My mom prefers the small one.

Looks like I am going to bed sooner than I thought. I am saying hello to all the new people who posted today. I read all your posts, but have been busy all day and am worn out. Love to you all and I hope to hear from you again. Good night and may everyone get some sleep...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
(1)

Hey Jam, Hi Johnny, give Betty a great big hug for me, Mom's not doing all that great, she's been doing a lot of spitting up today, has been for the past couple of days, her esophagus is enlarged at the top, so it isn't letting things go down all the time. Her breathing is shallow and her pain is up probably a 7-8.. Nothing can I do.. have talked with hospice got her some new meds in for nausea, but nausea isn't the issue here I believe.

Does anyone have a idea on how to 'use" the bedpan? lol, which end of the pan goes where? I think the short end goes under the butt and the taller end, ends up under the legs.. she's not going to like it I am sure, but told her this afternoon, it's either that or a diaper if she is not able to get out of bed safely to use the restroom.

I actually think I might be able to get through the night without having to drink two pots of coffee. Will check in again later.. hugs to all
(1)

Tell Betty hello and give her a BIG HUG from us!!!!!!

onacliff.....that is what I call my mil.....crazy old lady.....it's all done with affection. She laughs whenever she hears me say it.

starri....yippee for lots of sleep! And now hubby time....woohoo!

Still reading.....will post more. Sometimes I do this a little at a time so I won't forget anything.....those are my senior moments....:)

Love and Hugz,
Jam
(0)

I like to read what other are going thru,because it does help,My dear wife tells me Oh are you going to talk with the other women? And she does this all the time,I tell her yes because these are for you. Then she will ask me well what do they say and I will answer that are concern about us. She then will say how nice you guys are and you really are,thank you johnnycares and wife betty
(1)

Thank you for not commenting to much,but believe me that you have help out so much with you know-age of going thru your road trip,thank you so much,hugs and stars 4 u.,johnnycares
(0)

Hang in there,and hope is a coming god bless u both, Oh and keep coming back here it does help just to write it down helps,take care johnnycares
(0)

hey All. Hope all have had a peaceful afternoon.

Mom made it through the night, I came home this morning, took the morning meds and a sleeping pill and I have been out of it all day, one blessing about getting the sleeping pill yesterday, got a solid 8 hours of sleep, hubby said the phone rang a couple of times, never did hear it..lol..

Brother is over there right now, and he will just get to stay there for a while more, her meds are all laid out through 530, so I don't have to worry about that. Reminded him one more time that he doesn't need to get into the pill boxes.

I guess that most of my feelings last night were frustrations to see her in pain and know that there was nothing I could do about it. She's getting less and less stable on her feet, she can sit barely on the bed and can't swing herself any further in, I have to get her up on the bed as best as possible, have her lay down and then use a sheet I put under her to move her further away from the edge.

I dread the day that the diapers have to come into play, just trying to move her now hurts her, I'm unable to lift her, so even trying to guide her to the bed side is a risk.

Waiting for hubby to get back from town, we'll have a bite to eat together and then I will go start my night. Hope that we hear from the insurance company on what it is their wanting for them to give us information about the possibility of getting help in, so that brother and I get at least one whole day a week off.

Talk with everyone sometime this evening.
(0)

Jam, what is "col"? Sorry, I don't know all the lingo. I did get FIL and MIL though!
(0)

Jam, what is "col"? Sorry, I don't know all the lingo. I did get FIL and MIL though!
(0)

Welcome, Drey and hello others. I don't comment much but I read often. It's bittersweet to say that I feel relief that Mother and I have come through so much of what many of you are facing with dementia: the denial, anger, her violence and meanness. It's good those hard stages are over but it's sad that she is in the end stage. She is so sweet now. She does not talk much but had a very good day this week and told me she loves me. Her smiles light my days! I have to say that there are times I miss her talking and chatting with me, but I don't miss those outbursts. Her drugs helped a lot and were my best friends for awhile. hehe For all y'all out there who don't know how to deal with a loved one refusing help, I will tell you my story. (We all have our own, different stories-no 2 cases are alike.). At a meeting with her psychiatrist, he told me I could not take her back home to live alone anymore so I basically kidnapped her and brought her to my home. It was a horrible time including 2 calls to the police, and it only lasted 9 days, then off to the hospital for a week for tweaking the drugs, and into an assisted living facility she went. That was almost 3 years ago. After a year, she went to a nursing home, and moved in with me 2 months ago. She's relatively "easy" to care for now (btw, I LOVE hospice), but the hard part is knowing I need to plan the eventual funeral. And it's been a hard change of lifestyle, not being able to go anywhere unless someone can spell me for awhile. It is a very long, hard road and I'm sorry you are on it, but it is a ministry of love and service which your loved one needs so much. I'm doing a great job of taking care of myself, and you must too! I feel blessed to be the one who is able to care for her now. (That does NOT mean I don't have a pity party sometimes too though!) Reach out for help when you need it, and ALWAYS take any help that is offered! A friend of mine came over the day after mom moved in and offered to clean my bathrooms to help me out. I thought about being Superwoman and insisting I didn't need her to do that, but I humbly accepted her gift while hearing another caregiver's advice in my head to always accept any help. Also, remember that there are stages they go through, and whatever stage they are in, they will go through it and into another one.
Well, so much about not commenting much!
(2)

Afternoon all!

ditto johnny.....I like that positive attitude!

linda.....not a darn thing wrong with taking some time off to do absolutely nothing. It will all be waiting for when you have a little more energy. So play some more...:)

HB.....thank you for checking in.....have been thinking about you and your family. Maybe mom will get her wish. And how wonderful that friends are coming to see her before she goes. I'm sure you all are a tremendous comfort to her. She is in my prayers everyday, as well as you are. Love to you.......

Welcome......dgrey, yes this is a difficult job we are doing and glad to see you here where you can just let it all out. Does FIL have dementia? I haven't read your profile yet. Lives with you and husband? Those headaches are stress and frustration. Of course you try to be patient. Are you going to always succeed? Doubtful.....but remember you are not alone. We all reach a certain point sometimes that we just can't take anymore....we are human and we didn't sign up for this job. I know I didn't......when I said I do I don't remember anyone telling me the care of my mother-in-law was a part of it. And to be honest, there are days when I don't like her very much either. But she will get the very best of care, just like you are giving your FIL. Come and visit us again.....we love to meet new friends.

Sorry have to cut this short.....col is calling from the hospital.....and I can hear the Looney Tunes theme song..........................

Love and Hugz,
Jam
(1)

welcome drey, I know, I am like you, just one cup of uninterrupted coffee should not be too much to ask...ewww, and nasty tobacco in the trash, think i would have to put a coffee pot in my room and spare myself that first thing in the morning... welcome
Seeme, you are such a sweetie, and thank you for reminding me that I am not in charge of the important stuff, like when to leave. You and jam are both right, to prolong it a few days, why? the process has begun for letting go of the guilt,, thanks again..
HB, love, hugs, prayers, and angels sent your way, let us know how things are.. love ya.
Johnny, thanks for the positive message this morning..The gentleman I take care of has Alz, and he makes me laugh everyday. He can not find the bathroom, hides the toilet paper, gets lost in the house, but he is so sweet. One of his favorite things to do is pick up twigs out of the yard... we were out there today, and he put some stuff on the little pile we have started.. Then he was going to pick the whole mess up and move it... I suggested we leave it there in case one day we wanted to roast marshmallows. ( We are in severe drought and fires of any sort anywhere are forbidden)Now remember, he can not find the bathroom but somewhere the burn ban has stuck in his mind.... He said we were going to get the fire department on us if we started a fire... I said I'd just run down the road and tell them you started it,, He laughed and said, "and I'll tell them you are the one that told me start it"........ we laughed all the way back to the house...so you are right, cherish the moments, there are many things to be grateful for, so happy to see you here...
Ok, I am going to take a time out and go take a nap.... love you all, more later..
(0)

Thank you 4 sharing drey63 with us on this very hard road trip,Here is wishing u well,johnnycares
(2)

How am I today? Good question.
I am new to caring for my FIL....I am one that rarely has headaches, and now, almost everyday. I just pin pointed the cause.
Got up this morning, coffee grounds all over the wall and floor, big wad of chewing tobacco in trash can, without liner and listening to his never ending tales.
I am trying to be paitent, but it's hard. Just one morning, I would like to have a cup of coffee without commentary.
My hardships are nothing compared to some of the stories I have read and my thoughts and prayers go out to all.
It is a little different for me, because I don't think I like my FIL very much. I am respectful and do all I can. I have asked my husband what the plans are when he becomes unable to go to the bathroom, change his clothes, etc....his comment is, he will not be changing diapers.
Wow, what a road in store for us......
Thanks for letting me vent.
(1)

Thank you to all my friends for all the kind wishes and prayers that have been sent our way during grandma's transistion.

Hospice has been wonderful for us during our final and most urgent needs. My grandmother is comfortable, clean, and well medicated so that she can continue to move closer to the other side without the unnecessary shackles of pain in her body.

Family and friends who haven't seen her in a while are stopping in to see her and wish her well. When she opens her eyes we can see the flash of recognition and pleasure when she sees someone who she loves. Grandma always loved visitors.

My mother and I are hanging in there. We are feeling the effects of fatigue but as we shared the caregiving while she was ambulatory we are sharing the chores of end of life. My mother, ever the control freak, would like it very much and find it appropriate if Grandma passed on Pentacost Sunday. If possible I think she'd phone the holy spirit and book her passage. My mother is very into catholic symbolism.

Take care all, I'm going to creep off and take a nap somewhere, sitting up if I have to.

Love n stuff
HB
(2)

johnny- what a postive thinking ! im trying to do that today too but so far i ve done nothing but sit here and play games . need to kick my hindend and start doing something . have a happy friday you all ..
wonder how s headbanger s gmas doing today ? prayers sent to them . xoxox
(0)

Having a good morning today, I am learning how not to be so looking down and keeping my head up so as to be able to see the beauty of this wonderful world,Thank you Jam and the best to u this and every morning,johnnycares
(1)

Good Morning Posse!!

I see we have some new friends....welcome lance and ludwig!

It's raining a little here in the Midwest.....my garden is happy I'm sure.

Another day of freedom, I think. For our new friends, my col has been hospitalized since last Friday for a mental "tune-up". So far it doesn't seem to be doing her any good, so they may just give up and send her home and tell us there is nothing that can be done. She called twice yesterday and the last time demanded that "you tell the doctors I want to go home".....just because son is also a doctor doesn't mean he has control and can order any other doc around. Right now, we are patient's family only, not the doctor in charge. I want them to keep her until at least Monday.....the new fence will be finished then.

lance......how very noble and loving of you to take your mom home and your life to improve also. It is a hard job and we won't get our reward for doing it on this earth. Does your mother use a walker or cane to help steady herself when she stands up? That might just help the falls. I know the col is very unsteady on her feet and that will be something new for her when she gets home. She has fallen also and if I can't help her when she first stands, she stumbles sideways. Do you get to take breaks to do something for you or are you with mom all the time? Maybe a neighbor might be willing to sit with her for a couple of hours each week to give you a chance to go out. Something to think about.

ludwig......I am sorry for the loss of your mother. No one can make those feelings of guilt go away....just remember that the final outcome was not in your hands, it never was. And when someone's time has come, no amount of medical treatment is going to make a difference in that outcome. Oh, sure it might prolong the inevitable for a few days while your loved one lies there and suffers..do we really know what is going on "in there"? I lost my mother last Dec. 29, she got sick on Friday Christmas Eve and passed the next Wed morning. I watched her lie in that hospital bed struggling to breathe, not recognizing anyone, crying out for 3 days, and had her brought back to the nursing home the next Tuesday afternoon. Hospice was there, got her settled in and started the morphine. Thank you God for not allowing her to linger and suffer. I still feel her loss, but I am so glad she didn't have to suffer any longer than she did.

johnny.....how are you and the missus doing this morning?

starri......I'm sorry mom is feeling bad. I'm glad hubby picked up your meds. Maybe you could get on the back of that bike with hubby and just take off and ride for a while. Just go somewhere and have lunch and some "you" time. You may have posted before about help and I missed it.....do you have hospice in for help with mom? Since it's a 2-person job to move her that might help.....if nothing else it would give you a much needed break.

ASG.....good morning.....are you getting some of this rain? Actually the sun is beginning to try and shine, so it may be over. That will make it nice and steamy outside.

Hi to everyone else that may be reading but not posting today......hope everyone has a beautiful day!

Love and Hugz,
Jam
(0)

Ludwig, You did tell her you loved her in the most important way. Words mean very little according to my mom whom I care for now. To her, actions are everything. Your mom would feel the same way. You told her you loved her with everything you did for her, with every tender touch and kind word.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter