Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
seeme.....COW PATTY!!!!! I'm jealous ya know!

Thanks johnny....I am enjoying every minute. How's Betty feeling today?

Welcome karmic......happy to see you here and to know we have another insane friend! You just vent to your heart's content darlin'.....we like hearing the stories.....gives us someone else to make fun of besides ladee........love ya!

Hubby cooked dinner and I feel so sleepy......must have been all that EXERCISE I got today.........:)

Love and Hugz,
Jam
(0)

Just enjoy and relax u deserve this r n r.
(0)

Good evening everyone.....trying to get caught up on email. Sat my behind in a gravity chair ALL AFTERNOON on the deck, temp around 79, can it get any better than that? Why yes it can.........................drum roll please.....................

WE HAVE A PART-TIME CARE GIVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can already feel the relief. Then my son calls to tell me that his Dad's brother was taken to the hospital today because he hasn't been feeling well....CT shows he is full of cancer. More than likely it started in the pancreas and has now metastasized to his liver and kidneys. If it's that advanced he probably only has about a month. Never had a problem with him......just couldn't stand his brother...:)

Hope everyone has had a good day and gotten some rest....I know I'm enjoying this respite I'm on!

Love and Hugz,
Jam
(2)

Karmic......glad you explained that cause I kept thinking "mice" or "elephant" , Which is it?? HAHAHAHAHA Pitiful, I know. Doing this in a sleepless stupor, and it will get worse before it gets better. Every time mom sees me on the computer or hears the keys clicking, she has to call out for me.

I'll try to get back on later.
(0)

Jam calls her mil the col(crazy old lady) we'll try not to get the two of you confused, unless you say something like "shoppy shoppy" then it will be up to Jam to know the difference.. Vent away, that's what we're here for .. hugs
(0)

karmicelephant,how nice that u came into our little site,So a BIG welcome to you for doing so.,Feel free to say what you feel because as you know our peace of mind is what really matter,so hope aboard.hugs to u,because johnnycares
(2)

Thank you, Ladeeda. Recently I told a friend that I felt I was officially a 'crazy old lady' and her response was "Congratulations! You made it!" I immediately got that feeling here, too. *wink*
(1)

Thanks, Seemeride. If insanity is a qualification here, then I should fit right in nicely!

My name was inspired by a saying by the Buddha, a verse of which is:

But if you cannot find
Friend or master to go with you,
Travel on alone–
Like a king who has given away his kingdom,
Like an elephant in the forest.

And that little bit of encouragement helps get me through each difficult day. I have almost no support from family when it comes to taking care of my mother and I am the only Buddhist (and also the only vegetarian) in a Christian family, but I "travel on alone".

And I'm sure I will visit here often...I have LOTS to vent about! LOL!
(2)

Welcome Karmic, everything seeme said is true, so come join us and you will be laughing before no time... Some of us have been at this so long we have sort of gone around the bend, but we are loving,caring and not judgmental...all except for me, when I jumped on ASG to let the cat out... we all have "moments", but I love ASG, she loves me and all is well.... happy to see you hear, hugs to you.
(0)

Karmic.....Welcome to your friendly insane company. Pull up a chair and visit often, as this will relieve your tension, hopefully make you laugh, and you will get good tips on things if you ask. We won't judge you for any feelings you may have, truth be known, we have probably already had them ourselves. Just jump on in and learn about us and you will have a family in no time right here. And we know, believe me.

And you HAVE to explain your name to me !!!
(0)

I'm new here and I must say that reading some of these posts has brought tears to my eyes. In one sense, I feel relieved that I am not alone (my siblings are of little or no help at all) and in another sense, I am frightened by what's yet to come. I am so overwhelmed caring for my 80 year old mother! I am also solely responsible for taking care of her home, which is extremely cluttered and poorly organized...making the whole ordeal much harder on me (I have constant back pain now). She is very stubborn and refuses to change anything to accommodate me or make my job here easier and yet I've given up having my own home and my own life for hers. Of my 3 older siblings, one has not spoken to her in years (because she disapproves of my husband and I moving in here), one lives out of state and is clueless to what goes on here, and the other would not believe anything negative I were to say about her (plus he'd probably tell her everything anyway). So I truly feel I'm alone in this, aside from my husband who works 6 days a week and would much rather we left her up to my siblings to care for. However, the reason we moved in here in the first place was because no one was helping her, even though they lived much closer to her than we did at the time. I feel trapped, frustrated, and depressed...every morning when I awake, my heart sinks when I realize that I am still living here with her. And now that her mind is slipping things are only getting worse (before it was simply her physical condition). I hope this forum will help ease a little of my stress, before I crumble under the pressure. And all of you caregivers deserve a huge round of applause for doing what you do and enduring so much! Thanks for sharing your stories.
(1)

Starri thanks for the info on the cat. The can does say a kitten will eat twice the amojnt of a grown cat. So I think our kitty is slowing down maybe. Our big cat we have outside, he eats all the food we put out for him, plus he gets into the dog food, and the neighbors feed him. It made me mad at fist, I thought they were trying to keep him in their house. But they let him back out. They are elderly and they will call something out to him and he runs over there. They open the door to a sunroom on the back of their house and he goes on in,setd in their window then eventually comes back out. They put food out for him also. I know he knows this is where he belongs though cause they were yelling for him one day and I noticed him starting to walk over so I clicked my toungue and he walked over to me and sat down next to my feet like a dog would lol. Anyways, that's when I figured out they were calling for him. He such a pretty cat. big huge beautiful cat. Black with golden eyes. He follows my son around like a dog would lol. He's the only oerson he does that to. My son will say come here blaine and blaine follows him around. Its sweet. Don't think I could ever replace him. When I go outside to smoke at night after the aunt has gone to bed, esspecially if I am feeling upset, he knows I think. He comes up and rubs around me then gets up un my lap. I swears he knows how to cuddle and hug.
(2)

Hey Jam, Mom had exelon and it made her crazy. We took her off of aricept twice, and whatever brain she had left just disappeared! So she continues with aricept and is now on Namenda too. The neurologist said they work well together. Mom was getting pretty bad with communicating and following directions. She was not interacting in daycare and was getting worse with her attitude.
She was gradually introduced to Namenda over an 8 week period, to full dosage. Within the first week we noticed an improvement and daycare was thrilled that she got some of her old personality back. It has definitely made a difference in her. The dementia is still very bad, but she now smiles more and interacts with people better. She is also less agitated and nasty. This is just my experience, but you might want to talk to her doctors about trying her on Namenda. Like I said, we saw a difference within days, and Mom has advanced dementia.
Starri, definitely try to get some help! You can't keep up with this pace.
Seeme, Does your mom take anything to help her sleep? Mom has 1 seroquel (25mg) at night, and sleeps through the night.
As for diapers, I found a brand that keeps the bed from being wet every morning. It's Abena premium night time pullups and I order them a case at a time from XPMedical. I also bought her some plastic pants to wear over them and have much less laundry. For daytime I get her Tranquility pullups that are also better than what you can buy at the local drug store. If you order them by the case, it is much cheaper.
One more day in Seattle! I'm not looking forward to going back home!
(0)

Hey ladee, I love ya too:), seemer, hey lady, no id never tell you to get a life lol. Other peoples storys is what helps me to. I was just busy yesterday, got outta taking aunt to the Dr. And an old friend came by, asked if I wanted to go garage saleing. Hubby said go ahead he would watch the kids. This was a friend who had a hard time accepting my new cargiver role. She appoligized for her words and explained that her family cared for granny when she was a child so she knew how hard it would be. I told her she could have been a friend and clued me in on that fact, instead of behaving the way she did. She agreed. We also talked anout how she dealt with it as a child. She said they did fine it was just hard at the time but they got over it and probably learned a lot from it. She gave me some ideas on how their mom helped them deal with the circumstances. It was la good time. Starri, I'm glad your brother came to help you last night. One that was very good advice to her. Nice link. This is a caring bunch of people. Hey johnny!! How's it going. Jam!!! Everyone else. If I missed ya I'm hugging you too!
(0)

Wouldn't it be nice to find "real coke"........that stuff they make these days just ain't got it....lol. Unfortunately I must have REAL coffee.....if I don't there is not enough hydrocodone in the world to take away the headache. And I have been giving the col caffeine-free for a long time....she just doesn't know the difference. It's just like the Nexium.....her insurance took it off their formulary.....so I've been buying generic Prilosec and telling her it's generic Nexium. It works and is a heck of a lot cheaper and she's happy. No harm, no foul.

Love and Hugz,
Jam
(1)

ladee......you can come and play with the col any time you want. Just let me know when you're coming, cuz I want to see you climb over the electric wire on the fence! Gotta get my camera out...................
(0)

Good 4 u seemeride,have a good buss and relax,hugs,johnnycares
(0)

Morning everyone, Starri, I really hope you start using Hospice more, they are so wonderful, at least my experiences with them have been. They answer any and all questions, any time day or night... And happy to hear your brother relieved you, but hope he doesn't do the night time thing too often...dangerous..
Ona, as jam said good suggestions, and we all have back problems, none of us listen ...
Jam, I want to come play Bingo with the col in the compound when she gets home... can I ? can I ? Huh?

Seeme, sure hope you get some sleep and rest today... Mom won't wear depends ???? Maybe she would let you use the bedpan at night or are you already doing that??? I have been where you are with no sleep... just felt brain dead... slipped into
cyborg caregiver, did things automatically...
Love to everyone,, catch up more later
(0)

Jam, Caffeine Free coffee.....and REAL COCA COLA in the rum !!!!
(0)

Good Morning Posse!!!

Hope everyone had a good night's sleep.......we know starri did after the sleeping pill kicked in. Bless your brother.....big-hearted and full of love for his momma.......and I hope you will get hospice in soon for more help.

onacliff.....very good suggestions.....and yes remember to NOT use your back. Difficult to do, because the tendency is to always use it, I told myself that every day I worked and now I'm retired with a back injury. Didn't listen very well, did I?

Visited with the col yesterday, not coming home yet. Her memory is non-existent until you tell her something and then it's oh yes I know that. She was playing Bingo and got up to show us to her room, just like she was ushering us into her parlor! She likes to show us the star on her door with her name in it. She doesn't have a clue that it means "falling star".....she's a fall risk. Since they have had her playing games I am going to buy a Yahtzee and Bingo game....maybe I can continue the habit. She will not be allowed to just sit and watch CNN all day.....I may put that channel on parental lock. Her coffee consumption has also been cut way back and I finally convinced hubby yesterday, that with trying to "settle her down" why are we giving her back a stimulant of a 12-cup pot of coffee? So she now has a new 5-cup Mr. Coffee. The new keyed dead bolt will go in this weekend....praying for no rain on Monday so the fence can be finished. They are starting her on Depakote, we'll see how she does on that. We said no to Zyprexa, which she had been on all last year and didn't seem to do anything for her. The doc didn't mention the Exelon patch, so my thinking is that they aren't going to be concerned with memory because it's gone and there is nothing that is going to bring it back. I can deal with that.

Hope everyone has a beautiful day.................

Love and Hugz to all,
Jam
(0)

starri, I nearly cried reading your post. I remember how inept and panicked I felt at first, even after aides showing me how to change a diaper. Hopefully you have hospice on the way now, but when you have a few minutes (ha), you can google "how to change and adult diaper" and see videos. It's hard to write it all down for you, and you will benefit more from seeing it done than from reading it. The first one I pulled up to look at for you is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4MeL6r0UPE There is a long commercial at first for a book, but then she gives some great advice. Be sure to protect your back!! If you have an electric bed, bring it up to as high as your waist so you don't bend down and hurt your back. When rolling her, keep your back straight--use your leg and stomach muscles. Again, do not damage your back! You are probably unprepared for this and maybe don't have the diapers and pads that hospice can supply, but I hope you do. I bought some washable pads to use under the disposable ones that hospice supplies. I hope you are using a drawsheet too. The drawsheet and pads have been wonderful tools to help me move Mother side to side, and to get her back up to the head of the bed when she scoots down. Again, hospice can show you how it's done. You will get this and be a pro before long. I speak from experience, trust me. Praying for you!
(0)

Starri, Please call hospice when you get up and get them over there with advice and help. You have enough to worry about without bro wandering around, but is so sweet to know you have a sibling who cares, bless his heart. What a trouper.

Johnny, Here is a BIG HUG just for you {{{HUG}}}

ASG...missed a story yesterday. Guess you were busy. Tell me to get a life instead of living yours, I know. But you have such interestsing things going on and I just sit here.

8 am and I am about to get a shower myself and start working on a veggie platter for the wedding shower next door. Think I will ask to keep her little dog here, only way I can get some dog lovin. One day...I will be complaining about my two Old English Sheepdogs getting into everything, but not for a while.......

Mom was up 12 times from 8pm to 7am this morning. I got 1 hr 45 min of sleep at one time. That was the most. Next was 1 and a half hrs. and I couldn't even get to sleep until midnight. Already have a headache this morning.

Mom is up, so I am done for quite a while. Will come back later.............
(0)

Come on sleeping pill...lol, I hate to wait for these to kick in..just wound up right now, truly wasn't expecting the brother to show up at 230 AM, he should not be wandering around at night, he can't see in the dark. Going to need to figure out a way to get the times set where he isn't coming over in the dark.. That is going to be a tough one as the kid crashes out about 7pm.. he wakes early, but doesn't need to go wandering around in the dark.. I think for today, I will have hubby come relieve him at 1 and then I will be over there at 5pm and take over from there. Come Monday I will be calling her insurance company myself and find out what the problem is with them telling us what kinda benefits are available for someone to come in and help.

Maybe I can sweet talk the hubby into picking up at least a couple of days shifts per week for now, that can be worked into my brother getting a whole day off and me as well. Feels like the sleeping pill is finally trying to kick in..
(0)

Hi, ASG, Hi Ladeeda, believe it or not it's 3AM and I am at home, I believe my brother finally figured out that I am spending a average of 16 hours over there per day..lol, he came over at 230..asked him what the hell he was doing out of bed at that hour. So I filled him in on what was going on with her, left instructions for both to call me if there was a problem, half way got a diaper on her, have one of those pads you put underneath them on the bed, along with a blanket under her and a sheet sideways for helping to move her. Right now, when I left, she was settled in and I am hoping going to sleep some.

She has disc's that are out in her back, causes severe pain if we have to get her on her back for something. She's nothing but skin pulled over bone now. Just trying to move her at all causes her pain.

Will wait and see if I get a call out of those two, and if I do will call hospice then, otherwise it's a call in the morning to see about someone coming out, sounds like we have a bad storm coming in.

Talk with you ladies later this afternoon, thank you for all your help.

For the lady asking about what to feed the cat? on the bag/can of food they have the recommended amounts to feed them based I believe on their weight. Most cats mine included look like they haven't eaten in days... I personally just keep a bowl of cat food out, and she eats when she wants.. She is a serious little piggie, she will be home, have her treats and eat cat food, and it isn't 20 minutes later she's over at Mom's eating again.

On the nails? if she/he is a indoor cat all the time, go ahead and clip them, will save the furniture, but if she/he goes outside at all, then I would leave them, they need those for self defense.

Take care all...sleepy time for me.
(1)

ASG, I am not mad, I am frustrated. I sent you a message on FB and thank you for sharing with me today.. It helped me a lot to understand.. Read my message and then we will talk more tomorrow, I'm heading to bed... love ya , and I mean that with all my heart.. .
(1)

Starri, call hospice right now and let them know you are having these problems, they should send someone out right away to help you, and to teach you how to do this on your own... It is hard for us to explain how to get a diaper on her. Are you using the ones with tabs? they are easier than pull ups, and hospice should have supplied you with these.. That is what hospice is for, call them right now, they are on call 24/7 to help you... let us know..
(0)

Ok, one more question. I'm trying to picture your situation in my head so I can help you. You said she can't roll on her back? Does she just not have the strength to? Or is she having pain in her back?
(0)

Do you have any of those large square wet pads?
(0)

Starri, yes I'm here,
(0)

ladeeda, wow, holy shit, didn't mean to make anyone mad. Read back at what I said! I said "I opened my mouth and told her we didn't need to hold the cat over the bowel to eat, it would eat when its hungry." She's afraid its not getting enough, she thinks he looks lanky. So, since you are a cat person can you tell me how much you feed your cat? I really was asking. Rosella, by cutting the cats nails I don't mean getting her declawed. The groomers will clip the tips off, like you do dogs nails, or human finger nails it grows back. This cats claws are really long and sharp, it has a scratching post. It keeps getting them caught up in the carpet and curtains and it causes her pain. Ok i won't talk anymore about the cat! It really is a spoiled cat in some ways, its overly coddled, she buys everything for it under the sun. I still think its better than the box I found it in, in the middle of winter, in a warehouse. Crying its poor little head off. Ok NOW, I won't talk any more about the cat. Hugs to everyone. Its late and I don't have the energy to catch up. Welcome to the thread new people.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter