Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
6 7 8 9 10
The stress some days is phenomenal!! My mother has been here only 8 mos & has turned my life upside down. Her complaining has worked on my last nerve. She’s bored, misses her friends & never forgets to remind me daily how much she misses my brother & his kids, her grandkids. It’s as if me, my children & grandchildren don’t even exist. I’ve finally told her she can no longer live with me. I’ve applied for Medicaid for her as she only has SS as a resource. Hopefully, in about 30 days she will be with thise her age, things to do & much happier than she is with the unfavorite child. I’m 70 years old, retired 5 years & haven’t enjoyed like I want. We have 5 children, 21 grandchildren spread all over the US & need to go see!!! Mom has no emotion, could care less about anyone else’s needs or wants than herself. I traveled 700 miles one way to see her whenever I’ll/hospitalized & Im done. Living 20 minutes from me & seeing her 1-2 x a week will be just perfect. I’ve had my share of guilt but thanks to this site, getting over it. Family likes to call mom & feels sorry for her but never never asks how we are doing or calls us. Amazing isn’t it???? Hugs to all the caregivers today, take a deep breath, this too shall pass.
(9)

((((((Hugs))))))), CWillie.

Not to sound perky, but do you do any volunteer work? There have been times in my life when I've been in the slough of depression. If I call to moan at our Rabbi, he always suggests a specific volunteer thing, and I always feel better.

It can be something like a soup kitchen ( ongoing) or helping out with a one time relief effort.

I'm sorry that you're feeling down.
(3)

I'm lonely. I'm single, childless, retired and weeks can go by when I don't see my friends, in fact if we didn't have a monthly lunch date I might never see them at all. Since mom is gone I have no compelling reason to leave the house, although I force myself to at least go for a walk, go to the store, go to the local coffee shop, church, etc. But I am always alone. As an introvert I didn't used to mind being alone because I was busy planning and doing things, but now I struggle with ways to find meaning in my days. And all the perky advice you read on the internet is such blatant crap I could scream.
(7)

Bon voyage 🚢, Book
(2)

Thanks. I will try to remember that about the buffet.

Cruise is still on. My sister and her daughters are determined to go. Since yesterday, my guts told me to check my airline reservation. I ignored it. Again tonight, my guts prompted me to check my flights. Sis and I checked our apps. Yep, just only My seats from Dallas to San Fran to Honolulu was unseated. I was on free aisle seats across from sis. I went online. All the complimentary aisle seats are taken. I now have window to San Fran... n between 2 people to Honolulu. Don’t think negative thoughts ... At least I caught it in time?

Send, I’m trying to see a half full cup. It’s difficult...
(3)

Book,

You are stronger than you seem,
Braver than you believe, and
Smarter than you think you are.

And all of that probably because you grew up in a dysfunctional family. But here's the secret: Every single family has dysfunction; it's just a matter of degree.

You are strong because you grew despite dysfunction.
You are brave because you overcame dysfunction.
And you are smart because you learned from dysfunction.

My secret at buffets is to take from underneath the middle of the pan and try to take only from fresh pans.
(5)

Book,
You are doing what many caregivers cannot, and hope to do.
Is your cruise still on?
I am looking forward to hearing more about your travels.

Did you know that in Texas, everything is really big?
Look again for the full moon. It is probably so big that it covers the entire sky!
You can ask all the Texans. (a joke). My mother grew up in Texas.
(4)

Book, good news about your bro! Nasty storms all through the central area of the country. Stay safe and enjoy your visit.
(7)

Bookluvr,
You can change your thoughts! Some good things are happening!

Imagine this:
my older brother in Texas ended up in the hospital last Thursday. He has been diagnosed with a rare heart condition. Heart rate working at 13% (normal is 55%). Cardiologist said that he should have came to him at the beginning where he had a better chance of prolonging his life.

Today:
We arrived safely in Texas. Good news, my brother was released from the hospital today.

Think of the good things. Think less, enjoy more. Let the full moon pass.
You will feel better, imo.
(6)

Okay, the bad things in life is normal.... Boarded the plane to fly to Honolulu. There was an announcement that they had to change a flat tire. Good news is that it was discovered before we took off. That delay shortened our 3 hour Honolulu layover to enough time to grab our checked baggage and re-check in 20 minutes before boarding of our next flight. No food served on the 7-hr flight, nor enough time to buy at the airport. On the next 5-hr flight to San Francisco- my acid reflux started acting up. Stomach pains due to no food. I just had to spend $5 for a teeny tiny snack chips with humus. No sandwich for sale, just snacks .. But it did stop the stomach pains. We arrived safely in Texas. Good news, my brother was released from the hospital today.... and we’re on a tornado watch. .. By the way, I couldn’t find the moon....
(10)

Bookluver I can see where you might come to these conclusions but I could regale you with all the nasty sh"t that's happened in my life starting at age four when my dad died of cancer. But I won't.

I think most people have bad things happen throughout their lives. It's just life. Very few come out of it unscathed. But, you keep looking ahead and up and that's about all any of us can do. God never promised us we wouldn't have bad things happen to us and the ones we love but he did promise to help us through it.

I'm sorry you think you are cursed but I don't think you were just like I don't think I was. Don't believe that. It's not true. Take your power back by not believing that.
(6)

For the past few days... Actually since the time my dad passed away in 2017, I swear bad karma has been following me my whole life. I was born into a very dysfunctional family life. My mom was diagnosed with dementia when I was in my early 20's. Spent the next 25 years taking care of her and then my dad. Then dad passes away. Not even a year, something major occurred which is the opposite of good news. Last year, both my aunty and 1st cousin died of cancer. My older brother of 3 years, is .. he collapsed and has not spoken since then. His sons have informed everyone that they have signed the DNR form - which by the way my brother told me he wanted this - last week Thursday. His sons are just carrying out his wishes.

Since my brother, I just cannot help review my life. I'm never really going to get a break from bad karma, am I? No matter how I try to be good - since my early 20's, it's not working out for me. My 7 siblings did whatever they wanted, verbally blasted people - and they're happy. They're married, have children, grands - and now close to retirement.

I'm feeling very down because I went to check-in for my flight. The agent had a very difficult time checking me in. She had to basically undo my current reservation, rebook it, and then undo what she did. She released all my original carefully chosen Aisle seats. She did not give me options but just assigned the seats. I only found out when I came home, went online to check what she did. I'm now seats at the last and the 2nd to the last row of the plane - near the bathroom. From seats up front - to now in the back. She was not able to reassign me back to my original seats. Basically I have a total of 9 hour flights in front of the bathrooms.... Oh, she also assigned me a window seat - even though there was an aisle empty beside it. If she had looked into the history, she would have seen I preferred aisle. It's too late - because that was my checking in , boarding pass. The flights are full flights.

The running theme in my head since yesterday is: "If I was one of those people who believe that how you live your life now, will decide what you will be reincarnated on your next life. Since I've been having a sucky life since childhood (asking God why He made me be born), I'm truly beginning to believe I was a very bad person on my previous life. Karma getting back at me."
(4)

😁
(4)

OMG! A 7-DAY cruise around the Hawaiian islands... 7 day cruise. Why couldn't we start out small - like 3 days??? Norovirus... Knowing the family, it's buffet food all the time.. where people who touches the food with their bare hands but don't take it after touching. I don't like buffet tables. I once saw a teen pick up a food and then set it back down. A total female stranger. I said, "What you touch, you take." She looked at me as I gave her a stern look. She picked it up and put it on her plate. Teenagers are one thing, I don't say that to adults. They might beat me up...
(7)

Book, I have to admire you. As difficult a time you had with your sibs and the caregiving and even before that, it still seem that you do care about them. With the twisteds I don't know if I would be the same way.

Travel insurance would allow you to cancel or reschedule the cruise? I had to cancel a flight when L was in the process of dying. Drove there instead. A doctor at the nursing home completed a form for me. It was easy. Are you sure you want to go on the cruise? Mind you, I am one of those that has absolutely no desire to cruise ever. I enjoy my space too much and just would not care to be trapped on a boat with a bunch of people with no escape. Where is the cruise going and for how long? Hope you have a great time.
(1)

Thanks, everyone.

I texted bro this morning "Thinking of you. Cyber phone hug to you. (Tacky, I know)…" He must have mentioned receiving my text to baby sister. He told me that she told him to call me. We kept it short because he had lots of visitors. 2 hours later, he collapsed while exiting the bathroom. They couldn't wake him up. He's now in the ICU. Just that short walk, with his low blood pressure, made him collapse. He's not talking but does make slight movements in response. So, that was the decision maker. I spoke to my bosses and told them that I was leaving Wednesday (it's Monday here.) My family were driving me crazy all morning, text messages, etc... finally I told the ones here in frustration that I need to do my work and complete everything (GRT tax) before we fly out Wednesday. I'll book their flights tonight, at the house. Ugh!!! It's 9pm. Taking a break to eat dinner. I still need to pack (for the cruise). I will fly from Texas to Hawaii to catch the ship. I'm so stressed out, I cannot eat. Been feeling woozy all day today with a headache.

I was able to change my Honolulu ticket date to depart to Wednesday. I bought a new ticket Honolulu-Texas-Honolulu … expensive ticket...grumbling.. but no regrets because when I found out he collapsed, I realized that I really do need to see bro again. .. Anyway, that's what credit cards are for - to get into debt. {{rolling eyes}}

Yes, I asked my niece to please get us the travel insurance. She wasn't go to. So I sent her some YouTube links of why it's important to get the insurance. Thanks for checking. Gosh, the livingroom is weaving. sigh... time to pack DOWN. I got too many "must bring" junk....
(5)

Book,
so sorry for the news - I can't remember if you took travel insurance for your cruise if you opt out
(2)

Book,
A purple flower, just for you.
The prognosis for your brother is not good, but when all the organs have been shutting down, I know people (and their brothers) who survived for years. I hope he is going to be one of the survivors.
(4)

Book, I’m sorry to read about your brother (((hugs)))
(2)

Book, I am sorry to read about your brother. Thanks for letting us know.
(1)

((((((((book)))))) so sorry about your brother
(1)

Aww Book, I'm sorry about your brother, you can't ever seem to catch a break. 🤗
(1)

The strange thing is that I'm torn between wanting to do the cruise and not.

Anyway, my older brother in Texas ended up in the hospital last Thursday. He has been diagnosed with a rare heart condition. Heart rate working at 13% (normal is 55%). Cardiologist said that he should have came to him at the beginning where he had a better chance of prolonging his life. Brother had his heart rate irregular in 2012. Throughout the years, his regular doctor would note things about his heart (like enlargement) but said it was okay, here's meds for it.... Finally, his doctor told him to go to hospital ASAP. Area around his heart has fluid, and clots... Cardiologist wants to know who is my brother's doctor. There's nothing they can do for bro. No cure. No meds to help raise that 13% heart rate... The latest news is that heart transplant is not an option because his heart is fine. It's the connector to the heart...whatever that means. Doctor says all my bro can do is change his diet.... Nurse niece here on island said diet is not going to do anything. He has limited time to live because his heart is not pumping enough for his internal organs... So I've just spent hours on the laptop trying to find ways to fit in a visit to bro before or after the cruise. It's not working.... I will be spending $2300-$2600 for only 4 days in Dallas. Not an option!!

I basically need to come back home from Hawaii. And then buy a whole new ticket from here to Dallas and back. Airfare is $1800.00. And I can spend 7 days with bro.. if he can live long enough for me to visit around June 20th....

Older sis and the girls are still doing the cruise. Older sis said that her being with Texas brother right now - is her obligated visit in case he dies. No guilt if he does while we're on the cruise. Whereas I'm....
(6)

LOL Book, why ever did you think a cruise would be a Good Thing? I hope you have a wonderful time!!
(3)

3 more weeks till my 7-day cruise vacation. No matter how much I try to prep myself to like it, to enjoy it - I'm dreading it to the max. May I just say that I was watching a YouTube in which the lady had the balcony door behind her. As the ocean waves was moving, my stomach started feeling queasy. ohhhh.. noooo. Anyway, this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and I'm gong to grit my teeth and do my best to enjoy it. I got the Bonine, the Dramamine, the wrist thingy, the ear patch, the ginger candy - and I need to find time between now and the trip to taste/swallow each pill. I'd rather have an allergic reaction on land than on sea... I did have an allergic reaction to the sunscreen (face turned super red and swelled). So, I bought a children's sunscreen hypoallergenic (Expensive 3oz bottle at $10 !!!!!!!) I tested it - and no allergic reaction.

I got a travel insurance (sucks! it only covers $50/day hospital stay). I told fave sis that if anything happens, she's my beneficiary. She only has a 1 month window to claim the $100,000 coverage.... So.. 2 weeks goes by … Then out of the blue, I received an email from fave sis asking me what kind of funeral do I want. Viewing? Open casket? Bury the next day?... Huh???? So I replied that I'd much rather not have an open casket but since they all need closure, OK to open casket. Viewing and then burial. No need to spend for large expensive obituary since nobody knows me. All I want is purple flowers - even if it's purple weeds.... I thought that was a very strange email from fave sis. I woke up the next morning and made the connection of the travel insurance beneficiary comment to her. OMG!! Does she know something that I don't know? But sis is Not the one who gets premonition. If anything, that's me - who tends to ignore my guts and rely heavily on logic. I know I'm stressing, dreading this cruise. It's only because I have this deep fear of water. I get a panic attack when water reaches my ankle when I shower... I have been doing my best to Not think of that tiny cruise ship surrounded with endless ocean water. Surrounded by water. I will Not hide in my room like those YouTube people who were told that they can overcome their fear of water by taking a cruise. Not! Heck, I spent so much of my emergency money for the cruise, I Will Not Stay in my room hiding! Ahem, I can always hide in the ship's library...
(4)

Onedooropen, I remember. You and your mom are the rare ones on this website. You still had your own hardship. I'm sorry that your mom is suffering now that she's at the end. And you're suffering with her. My mom was going through that but we failed to get hospice services to help ease her pain. Is there some help in your mom's pain department? I remembered my mom, who couldn't talk and rarely moved a facial muscle, would grimace in pain when we moved her (very slightly to her side to prevent bedsores.) Thanks for updating us. {{HUGS}}
(3)

MsMadge, the constant struggles with hoca and dealing with the constant passing away of its clients is like another burden added on top of your secular job. You must be terribly weighed down from all fronts. Kudos to you. Just take it one day at a time. Sing that favorite song of yours and Viking's to help you through. {{HUGS}}
(4)

SusanEl, yes, almost everyone you meet will ask how your mom or dad is doing. Rarely do they ask how you are doing. Worse, is the lecture that we should be doing more – since they’re our parents. I think my mom skipped the repeatedly saying things and went straight to the accusation stage of us stealing from her and trying to make her go crazy. I’m glad that you found this website. I learned so much when I first found this site – after googling how to take care of 2 bedridden elderly parents.

Caretaker67, I know where you’re coming from. I have 7 siblings – 3 here on island and 4 in the mainland. I did the caregiving for Our parents. I try not to be bitter against them because like you – I used get so very angry when they didn’t help out at all. They'll visit but …  I found this website and it helped me a lot. The most important thing that I learned at the time – was that I chose to be our parents’ caregiver. I could have walked away and let the govt take over. I chose this road. My siblings chose not to – their prerogative. I learned to accept it – like you – that they won’t help out as they ought to. I still think it sucks!!! I still struggle to not ask Karma to visit them. sigh.. work in progress...
(2)

Hi all, cant even think how long its been since I posted here. I have been rocking along with my mom, doing pretty good and now she is finally reaching the end. she is uncomfortable, hurting and full of alzheimers... last night she tried so hard to tell me something and all that came out was gibberish - it makes me want to cry!
I am one of the lucky ones - my mom was a great mom and she continued to be a great person thru her long 14 year journey. and we have been fast friends the whole way and now I just have to watch her go thru the final indignities of this disease and I am heartbroken! Just want to curl up in a ball and escape but i cant...
(11)

Frustrated. I spent 45 minutes on the phone switching my mom's medicare plan and in that span of time the cat didn't stop meowing for attention and mom fell trying to go through her closet. I have to be "on" 24/7 or something happens.
(5)

6 7 8 9 10
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter