Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
As usual, I had the unexpected visitors. This time, my guts didn't warn me. Unfortunately, it's so hot, I have all the windows/doors opened. I'm still wearing my very loose flowy cotton dress. He was looking everywhere except at me. Ahem... my black flowy dress was definitely (!!) above my knees. He was trying to talk to me but seemed to have problem looking at me. So, I grabbed one of the plastic lawn chairs on the patio and said that I need to sit. Then I sat down, and used my front dress to cover my exposed legs. =)
(4)

Thank you Book for your lovely words.. She is wonderful lady and I will always be there for her.
(2)

Pam, I felt sad as I read about your BFF's husband and BFF. I bet she knows what she's going to be dealing with for the next decade. It's so sad because it's as if they never got a break from caregiving/taking care of others...

When my mom was Finally Officially diagnosed (family had their heads hiding under the sand for 3 yrs), we had a family meeting with the neurologist. My oldest brother (age 29), Dad (age 62) and I (age 24) attended the meeting. Mom was 57 years old at the time. The doctor said that this is the time that the family must pull together and help out because this will be a long hard road. Years. sigh... I thought 'years' was like 5 years. Instead it ended up 23 years later... Your BFF will need all the help she can get. My fave sis was my spiritual helper (spiritual - as in my spirit, soul, not religious kind) - she treated me out to lunch, to some shopping, etc.. I even called her a few times, crying because we had no food in the house and I was soooo hungry. She dropped everything and came over with take out dinner and grocery for our pantry. I have a feeling, Pam, that you will be BFF's spiritual helper. {Hugs}
(6)

Dusti, sounds like you have everything in control, as much as is possible. I was worried that you were being 'naïve' about the violence. Whew! I'm relieved. =)

I live in a small island. Driving 35mph around the island only takes 2 hours - without stopping at the beach for a swim or taking pictures at tourist spots. Auto repair shops are in high demand. My nephew is now my layperson mechanic - if I can just pin him down to do the repairs. However, I'm seriously thinking it's time to seek the professionals on my brake problem - which is happening a lot.

I have a 2009 Corolla, purchased in 2008. My mileage is only 48,600. I spent most of my car's life driving to home/work - full time job and taking over bedridden parents when I was off work. They finally built a Corolla to last. Major repairs started happening 2 years ago... I'm really going to have to check my brakes. Hmmm.. You just reminded me. Maybe it's time to text nephew if he's available to test drive my car and find out what's wrong with my brakes (seems like the pedal is stuck when pressed all the way down and then I feel a click when it pops up.)
(1)

Book...how many miles does your car have on it. We have after market repair on ours. They have saved us thousands of dollars. If you like I will get the information for you.

Also, you can address him as significant other, but other half works (smile). I am very vigilant and alert for any signs. I went through a verbal and abusive relationship (marraige) at 19 and ended up in the hospital 3 x. Will not allow this to escalate. If it does he will be going to his brother's or an assisted living center. I don't forsee my honey getting physically violent with me as he never has in the 30 years we have been together. I am learning to say "no" though. I fixed dinner (what he requested)tonight and 15 minutes after he refused to eat he wanted ice cream. I told him no, maybe later. He told me it was a good dinner but he wanted something else so this is why he ate about two bites and then refused to eat. Had to have the FD out earlier this afternoon to get him up after he tipped his walker while trying to sit on it and fell (no injury, thank Heaven). If he was over 70 would be easier to understand but he is only 65. I am on the verge of requesting a conference with all three of his doctors to see if they can figure out what is going on. His blood pressure and heart rate are all good. The EMT's were concerned with the amount of swelling that he has. I let them know that doctors are aware and are working to treat it.
(1)

I took my truck to the shop today for an oil change and tire rotation ( I know how you feel Book,, was waiting the "need new brakes" info,, dodged that bullet again) My BFF picked me up there and we went for breakfast and some shopping. We had a great time.. BUT,, she just got the final word on her hubs condition,, he has dementia Lewy bodies.. This is so hard, and she has never lived alone since she married him,, first they took care of his dad with ALZ, then his elderly sister lived with them. She does have a lot of help. but she is they type to want to do it all her self. Her son and his family live with them.. but her whole world is suddenly upside down. Makes you think about how much worse it could be.
(2)

Bluebird, boy, when it rains, it pours! You must have a very strong stomach to be able to handle your mom's irrigation. That's good because who else will do it, if not you? When my mom had her trache put in her throat, the hospital nurse showed us how to clean it. I was totally grossed out by the yucky, gooey phlegmy stuff that clung to the trache tube when pulled out from her throat. When mom came home, I practically begged my nephew-of-next-door to come over every night to clean it. He did it for a year before he suddenly stopped coming. I had to force myself to do it. I, uhm, never did get used to it. Ick is Ick, with the whole works of trying not to throw up, heaving stomach, etc...

Unfortunately, I also know what it's like to have friends and relatives pass away or have a wedding and not be able to attend. Stuck at home caregiving. No one to cover for us - not even for an hour. I'm so sorry.

Car repairs are one of my worst fears. Somehow, I must have something on my forehead that says, 'Sucker'. I'm quite bitter about that topic.... You have too many things going on. Take a deep breathe, and make a list on what you can do now and what just needs to be done later - when you have the funds for it. I wish you well on overcoming each of these obstacles life has thrown at you. {Hugs}.
(2)

Dusti, just be vigilant with your other half, in case his anger escalates to physical. Sorry, I wasn't sure if I should address him as 'significant other' or like some of my relatives say 'my better half'. So I compromised and used 'other half' in reference to your honey. My mom's anger escalated to real physical violence. Just don't underestimate the burning anger inside him.
(1)

Mom spent yest afternoon/evening in the ER having a pubic cyst/abscess cut open! It was so deep and the infection granular that they couldn't get all of it out. They cut tried to scoop, irrigated and took fluid and infection to test. Gave antibiotics. Gave me a prescription. Hospice Nurse came with irrigation supplies and showed me how. First time in ages mom has slept all the way through the night!!! I slept better but still am totally worn today.
Jeep CVS joint is out, cat is overdue shots, was supposed to go sign to close out the old bank account for her, my friends from church man was in same decline as mom died this morning. I can't be there for her and it is killing me. I USED to hunt Morel-Mushrooms and am already in withdrawel for that since I can't leave her even though I know they are not quite ready yet. Chickens are almost out of food again. And never got my taxes done for the heat credit!! But tax lady said no worry since I don't make enough to PAY so it will only be for the "credits" and there is a few months before THAT deadline. But tomorrow will be better. Just have to finish out today.
(2)

Hi Jam… Guess one word works the best….exhausted. As to stress I love the analogy of “stress rope” as it is so true. My solution…I tie another knot in the stress rope and pray tomorrow is better while I thank Heaven for every minute I have with my honey. My honey likes to sit in the living room to watch TV…so when things get to stressful (or he is trying to start an argument) I head for my study. I refuse to rise to the bait for an argument as one there is one thing I remember and that is words can’t be taken back after they have been said. Helps me maintain my “cool” though it does thoroughly aggravate him when I refuse to argue with him. Oh, and though we are not married (no, not even common law) we have been together for 30 years and I have been his caregiver for the last 13 years. Wouldn’t trade him as I love him.

You mentioned that you are seeing something in your MIL that leads you to believe that she could get aggressive. Just recently I have seen the same thing in my honey though and though I don’t believe he would ever hurt me if he ever did I would be calling his brother to come and get him. I told my honey when we first got together that if he ever hit me, he would be out the door so fast it would make his head spin. That still goes. Again just recently I have had to stop him when he gets really derogatory verbally and advise him I will not tolerate verbal disrespect or meanness from him and that seems to defuse the situation. He grumbles but it stops. He told me to pack my s…. one day if I did not like how he was talking to me. I told him I am not going anywhere(this is my house) and again let him know his verbal meanness will stop as I will not tolerate it. I then headed to my study and did not talk to him, even when helping him, for the rest of the day. He got the message.

I cannot work right now (though I need to) as I can't leave him for any length of time. So I am working to start my own business.

My sanity saver is my art. I am an animal illustrator and animal portrait artist. This helps me center myself and gives me inner peace (along with counting to 10 occasionally, ha, ha, ha). Have a great night and hang in there!
(2)

I love those discount stores,, like Home Goods, Marshalls,, etc. We have quite a few in our area, and every trip is an adventure. My DD has the best decorated place I have ever seen, and she is a Home Goods junkie! We just found a store called Gabes. I want to go there and see what they are like?
(2)

Pam, Best kind of days. Love Ollie’s. But haven’t near one in years.
(2)

I am home alone for the first time in eons,, and loving it!! Mom and Aunt are still in TX, and DD got hubs excellent seats for the Dover NASCAR race for today.. I really wanted him to be able to go,, so I got someone to work my shift and I stayed home to "dogsit"..LOL It's a gloomy day here, perfect for lots of dog walks and putzing around. I made a trip to Ollies ( got some great gifts for all the upcoming birthdays) They had oil diffusers and some good books, and I had a coupon. And have been watching crap on TV.. loving it!
(3)

Since this question was posted by "bookluvr," I'll take this opportunity to tell everyone that I've written a book about our experience taking care of my mom with Alzheimer's called, "My Mother Has Alzheimer's and My Dog Has Tapeworms: A Caregiver's Tale." I found that trying to have a sense of humor about things helped (both of us). She once accused "people" of stealing her (dental) bridge. You know where it was? In her mouth!
(6)

I asked to have an extra 30 minute lunch today so that I can attend my 1st cousin's final viewing before the burial. Because I drove within the speed limit of 40mph, I made it to the church in 30 minutes. I hit every d*rn red traffic light from my work all the way to the church. Every single traffic light - even the one in front of the Post Office!.. I went around the church parking lot trying to find a parking. I finally gave up and parked in lone road, by the grassy shoulder.

Stood in line to view my cousin in her coffin :( I so hate looking at deceased people. My siblings forced me to see dead mom and then dead dad in the coffin. They Insisted I needed Closure. Really????? ... Anyway, my cousin's husband, then their 2 teenage children, cousin's mom and aunty were at the standing at the front pew to greet. Cousin's brother and sisters and in-laws were standing on the end of the pew.

As I walked up to cousin's husband, I only met him when my cousin died. I didn't know if I should shake his hand? Quick cheek-to-cheek greeting? I was going for the cheek-to-cheek. I was quite surprised to feel his arm go around my upper shoulder. Ohhh.. It's a family greeting and not a stranger greeting! As we parted, all of a sudden, I had terrible goosebumps. My arms hairs were standing up so high. As I went to hug young teenage daughter, my arms hairs were doing its best to stand up straight. I then hugged the older teen son. I had to stop because I couldn't handle those goosebumps. Before hugging my favorite aunty (cousin's mother), my whole body literally shook so hard. Whew! ... Anyway, next was my favorite male cousin. He was only going to give me a token hug (stranger-style). Instead, I grabbed him, pulled myself on tiptoe and hugged him hard. He stiffened. Then he relaxed and pulled me hard to him for a great big cousin hug... I'm not an affectionate person. These past few nights I attended the night rosary, he made it a point of touching my arm or shoulder. I never reciprocated. I did what our traditions call for - every time I saw him, I did the cheek-to-cheek greeting.

As I sat at the Church social hall eating what little food was left since 9am, I wondered about those goosebumps. When I’m home and get goosebumps, I know that our ancient ancestor is there in the room with me. I replayed the scene in the church. I didn’t get the goosebumps until I hugged my cousin’s husband and then her kids. As you know from my previous post, I sometimes get torn between traditional native beliefs and Christianity. So, I sat there eating and thinking about those goosebumps. In the end, my native beliefs won. I realized that my cousin M was there with her family. She died suddenly in the hospital. She never had a chance to wake up and say her goodbyes to her husband and children. How sad….
(2)

I think I will skip the mass from now on. Those are very powerful, overwhelming candle incenses. I know that after the mass, I was quite unsteady for hours. I kept losing my balance... I woke up this morning with my left face all stuffed up and a terrible pounding headache. It's 9am and I'm having my ice coffee which helped a lot to lower the pounding.
(2)

I haven’t been a Catholic for about 30 years. I rarely attended their mass unless it’s related to a very close family member. 6 years ago, when my mom passed away, I went a few times to the mass of Intentions. I enjoyed the sermon.

When dad passed away last year, I attended the mass of Intentions daily. This time held in the new chapel. Gasp! It was beautiful except that supposedly hanging Jesus looked like the cover of those modern day adult romance book. Seductive. I spent most of the time staring at the huge hanging statue on the wall behind the altar. And the priest’s decorated chair was square shaped and... I swear it looks so much like a throne set up front and forward. While the lay person said the prayers (and the congregation responds back), the priest sat on that throne chair just staring into the crowd... I was turned off.

My 1st cousin passed away from cancer this past Wednesday. The 1st time I’ve attended her village church mass. Gasp! It’s bigger than the church in my village. It was ... has humbling, understated by eloquent decorating. NO dead Jesus hanging on the wall behind the altar. And I enjoyed the sermon. And the live guitar/piano singing team. Yesterday’s evening mass, the real one where they pass the money basket (also humble simple basket compared to the one in my village) twice ... just before mass ended, the priest asked for all those born in April, to please come to the front. He said a prayer over them and a little token (prayer card???) was given to each birthday congregant. Ohhh, I almost had tears.. Strange, isn’t it? How 2 churches from the same religion can have such a contrast. I told my cousin that if I ever wanted to be a Catholic again, I will go to her church.... No, I can’t handle the candles. The smell was so overwhelming. The minute we walked in, I had instant headache. Too bad.

My aunty insisted on doing the traditional way for her daughter. Did you know the traditional way is to say the rosary Twice a day? One around lunchtime and one in the evening. The lunchtime had real solid meals. The evening one had hand food/ snacks (pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, tuna/egg sandwiches, pies, soup in paper cups, etc...)
(2)

I suppose this kind of thing comes with the territory, but, it just always upsets me so. I have ANOTHER funeral to attend with my parents. It's a close family friend and I do want to show her respect, (she was an awesome lady) but, I know this one is going to be very difficult. This lady was very close to our family and she had lots of loving family and friends. It's going to be so emotional and I know my parents are going to lose it.......But, there's no way around it. I just have to do it and be there by their sides. I'm ready and trying to garner my strength........any words of advice?

There are just too many funerals lately.
(3)

Well we had a really nice time.. but I will admit it would have been almost as nice if we had stayed at any nice chain hotel.. LOL But it's something off my bucket list. We went outlet shopping and I got some wedding gifts and such for Christmas.. and believe it or not it snow flurried all day! The Inn is beautiful, and the bathroom was unbelievable,, 3 foot deep copper tub, shower with full body jets ( yes I used both!!) and a toilet that was all automatic,, and almost scary! Our room was small but absolutely beautiful, with a door to a long porch that overlooked the small town and street.. and therein lay the problem.. Trafffic noise all night.. and I mean all night! But they had a great wine and cheese hour in the evening, and we ate a great meal at the owners son's tap room ( featured in one of her books). The breakfast was pretty good, with an awesome berry and lemon curd starter. Coming home we went by some of the civil war battlefields and then checked in our place by Sheperdstown due to the high water. But glad to be home, and we are both glad we did it. Maybe if we go again we will make sure to get a room in the back! Hey whatever,, we got away!
(4)

Pam, have fun!!! Enjoy!!!!
(1)

Jim, I agree with Barb and Pam... your mom has you on a short leash, and it will ruin your life, as it did your dad's at the end, if you let it. If she was in assisted living or something, she would not be alone, and she would probably behave better, because they are strangers, and won't enable her. If you want your business to thrive, you will have to quit being at mom's beck and call; it's not good for her, either. My mom used to do that, until my husband helped me understand that it wasn't good for either of us. I backed off until she doesn't expect me to do a lot for her; if she wants it done, she asks her paid help, which she needs because I can't do it for her. She also has neighbors in her apt bldg that will do things for her, and she pays them a little. I speak with her on the phone almost daily, but the incessant requests for errands, help, and constant phone calls has stopped.
(2)

Book, I am so sorry you are having so much stress in your life. Keep things simple. Take good care of yourself. It's so nice that your boss is helping you with your vacation.
(2)

Book,

Could you get a restraining order for those religious leaders and thus make it illegal for them to continue to come on your property? I guess that you could put up a No Trespassing Sign and charge them with trespassing. There must be some legal way to stop those people. I guess you could consider getting one of those dogs for protection which would mean you would have to put up signs that said, "Beware of Dog." Better yet, don't get a dog, but put up signs that say "Beware of Dog" right on the entrance to your property. 
(0)

Dear Book,
I believe God is with us always. He knows what's in your heart. Unconditionally he loves us. Send your letter and find peace my friend. You are strong. I think everyone on here is smart, strong and brave. If we were not fighters, nor tough and loving, we all would not be here sharing our struggles and trying to help others as we receive help for ourselves!
(3)

Turn your phone off when you are ready for bed! I work for a hospital and I do this when I don't to be disturbed. By security alerts, offers to pay me extra to come in on short day... And someone blowing up my phone when I am trying to sleep qualifies! I understand this is hard,, but if she is only doing it for attention than it may shut some of this down.
(3)

Your mom needs to be in a facility.

Call her doctor and tell him/her about the burns. Ask what action you can take as she is going to injure herself severely if she doesn't get into full time care.

Sound really desperate (hint--you are!)
(3)

My mom used to manipulate my dad. He was an avid golfer and used to play several times a week. The last year and a half of his life she told him he can’t leave her alone so he basically stayed home. He was miserable and she got her way. This is where her argument makes no sense. She doesn’t want anyone in the house,but is afraid to be alone. I am going to let her see what things are like without any help for a couple of days. I have the aid with her four days a week from mid morning until early afternoon as that is all she will allow. She did the same thing to the Hospice aids until they stopped coming. My mother is under the care of a geriatric primary doctor. I know there are meds to help with paranoia, but she won’t take them and it would be a huge battle. She won’t even take an aspirin. My sister talked with her today and asked her what is it you want from us. I have been at her home every day since my dad died last September. When my sister asked her about that she said I do it because I worry about her. If I didn’t go my phone would be blowing up. When her paranoia kicks in she will call incessantly ,even late at night. When asked about that she denied ever calling. She is very deaf. When she stayed at npmy home we asked her to wear her hearing aid because my mother in law has late stage dementia and loud noise agitates her a lot. My mother had a total meltdown and suddenly the hearing aid was gone. She admitted to my sister she flushed it down the toilet. As for her burns she refuses to use oven mitts or the like to remove things from the oven and instead uses a dish towel. We have gone round and round about it. I realize when she calls I could say I cannot come over now,but she would continue calling. I own a seasonal business and work seven days a week during the five month season. I have begged her to allow more help in the house and she will shut down over it. What a mess.
(1)

Tomorrow hubs and I are going a sweet BNB for an overnight stay, and some local shopping and sightseeing. I can't wait!! We need the downtime! After taking the puppy to DDs we are gone!! Wish us luck!
(2)

Jim,, nope,, she does not get you running around at her every whim.. you say "I could not possibly do that and you have a perfectly good aide!" I am sure the aide knows how your mom is at this point. And if your mom is still of sound mind you are stuck with her wishes. Maybe after a day or two of no help she will relent. She must be home alone sometimes if the aide is only there in the am?
(3)

Jim; I'm so sorry that your mom is creating more stress. Has she been diagnosed with dementia? Likely she assumed that the aide would be there at the usual time and made a poor choice in how to think about the fact that the aide didn't show up.

Don't be embarassed. I'm sure the aide has dealt with this sort of thing before. If she hasn't, you explain that mother has problems thinking rationally, and that it would help if she (the aide) could try not to take it personally.

Also, the aide needs to know that YOU are in charge of whether she goes to mom's or not, not mom. "Oh, but Mr. Jim said I was to be here at this time today; we will have to call him to check if I can leave". Instruct the aide to call YOU if mom is belligerent or uncooperative.

Consider if mom might have a UTI and not just being passive aggressive.  Is your mom under the care of a geriatric psychiatrist?  There are meds that help with paranoia, I'm told.

Regarding the burns; how often is mom at home alone?  She may not be able to live without 24/7 care any longer.  Or with a working stove.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter