Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Oldest bro and SIL decided to do Dad's 1st year anniversary of his death. Well, they did that also for mom. The only difference is that the family (as in we, dad's children) will be putting out food for the last rosary, which is the day he died, July 21st.

I went to the church mass (forgot the Catholic word for it - Oh! Mass of Intention) on Saturday and Sunday. It's very awkward to not participate during mass and try to remain respectful to the Catholics way of worship. Everyone stands, I'm still sitting. Everyone kneels, I'm still sitting. Even by sitting at the last pew in the back, I stick out like a sore thumb. I'm reaching a point that I will tell family: I'm not a Catholic and going to your mass is really uncomfortable for me... I didn't go tonight. Nor am I going tomorrow night.
(0)

gladimhere, those Caller ID numbers are fake numbers. You may block one boiler room call center, but there a plenty more other boiler room call centers out there using the same Caller ID. It's like Wack A Mole trying to catch them all :P
(8)

Maybe get a new phone number and an answering machine or get a private phone number and only give it so certain people.
(4)

I answered the phone because it looked like sis' cell phone number. Plus, our phone number is very close to our local water agency's emergency phone number. If I don't answer the phone, that person would just keep calling until I do. Of course, maybe I should now turn on the answering machine. Except, when I need to reach oldest sis, I have to make the phone ring like 20 times, hang up, then call again before she finally answers it. I don't want the answering machine on in case of emergencies and I need to reach sis.
(3)

Book, turn off the bell on the phone on your "me day" especially!

I got my first IRS scam call yesterday. I suspect they have been calling for months. I DO NOT answer my phone if I do not recognise the number or shows unknown/unavailable. If they want to speak with me they will leave voice mail. Yes the IRS collect voice mail. Now that number is blocked. But, after blocking another call came through that showed the same number.
(7)

Book, How dare they call you at 7:10 am! Will your phone service allow you to block phone numbers. If so, I think I would block theirs. That's uncalled for. I am sorry that happened to you and particularly on your me day.
(6)

Sunday. My me-day. I don’t go shopping or visiting. My Me-day to stay home. Phone ringing. I blearily looked at time. 7:10 am. Lately, I’ve been having interrupted sleeps and unable to fall back into unconsciousness easily. I woke up 5-ish (3rd time this morning) Took a while before I finally slept ... Who is calling so early in the morning? Maybe wrong number. Got up, answered groggily, “Yes?”. {Too much effort to announce ‘so-so residence’}. .... Ohhh mannnn ... It’s the Unannounced Visitor calling.

Did I wake you up?.. Yes... oh! I woke you up? ... Yes ... ... ... and then he continues talking. I stood there answering single answers . Yes.. no ... no ... {oh nooo this is not going to be a short phone call!} .. I pulled the phone away from my ear and glared at it as he continued to talk... I walked back to my sofabed and laid down as he continued talking. .. debating if I should just hang up on him. Nope, he’ll just call back... or drop by unannounced... I laid there with the phone away from my ear as he continued to talk. Oops, he asked a question. I didn’t hear the words... well... I’m no longer sleepy.
(4)

Slept until 7:00, usually 5:00 on a good day and feel like I could sleep more. Dreams too.
(3)

Bluebird.. didn't know about dark and grainy urine meant. Saw it both on my parents towards the end but … never questioned it. I just figured they weren't drinking enough water. {eyes rolling … I was in denial to the max}. {{{HUGS}}}
(3)

Funny but am more at peace than ever before. Mom said a month ago to me "you know I will be going home soon". We both are dedicated believers who unless illness stops us or in her case until my brother who abused her and refused to take her or let anyone else get her moved in with her. Mom and I listen everyday, sometimes over half the day to CDs of "In Search of The Lords Way". It calms her most of the time.

Now however her body is beginning to shut down. Sleeps more than awake. Hasn't eaten in a long time and is now cutting down on when she will drink something. Too weak now to get out of bed. Last couple of weeks trying to use lift to get her over potty chair or even lift her up enough to put the bed pan under is useless. She was going before getting in position. Twice had to spend 3 hours sucking up out of carpet and washing and deodorizing the carpet. Gave up and told her to use the diaper and it is ok. She didn't like the idea but came to conclusion herself she could no longer control it. Last 6 days Urine is dark and grainy. I suspected it is the progression. Hospice said that is the kidney not filtering and I was right.... First signs of end of life organ shutting down unless the bowel lack was the first. But she appears to not be in any additional pain that doesn't go away after she is done "urinating" or as she puts it "I'm peeing my britches!" She can not complete a full long sentence without voice going to a murmured mumble. Even if I repeat what I heard clearly enough she will not take up there but tries to go back and start over or just sighs and either stares at me or turns away or shuts her eyes. She no longer calls out to me at night. I hear over the walkie talkie (baby monitor) If she picks up things on the hospital type bed table. (Water bottle, Kleenex box etc or if I hear the straw slurping) or if she drops one of them.

Last visit Hospice Nurse said most people will last less than 2 weeks when it shuts down or they go into a comatose state and I won't be able to waken her. Yet though I sometimes feel down for an hour or so I am surprisingly doing well and when she is coherent so is she. So I do talk about how I SEE she is ready and anxious to go to her reward. How wonderful her reward will be and God will tell her she has been a good and faithful servant. That I will be ok, maybe a bit sad for a bit but I know where she will be and someday when God says HE is READY for me I will join her. But I also tell her that evidently HE isn't ready for us yet because she is still here and so am I. She smiles and nods. "His time, His time." comes out clearly.
(9)

Mally, hoping all goes well now that your mom gave you the go ahead.

Bettina, I remembered being sooo tired all the time. The worst for me was the mornings. Too exhausted in the mornings and wanting to sleep in late, every day. Months after my bedridden mom passed away, I took a trip to Hawaii to getaway for a while. Dad was bedridden, too. I was so mad at myself. I still can't believe I spent so much money on the hotel in the middle of Waikiki - to rest all day in the hotel room! My body finally crashed after 20 years of caregiving mom. I was too exhausted to walk far anywhere in Waikiki. Your comment reminded me of that time. I spent most of my week in my hotel's bed! You have it right, though, about craving the bed - whether we want it or not. I hope something good will happen to give you some respite from the exhaustion.
(6)

Happy and contented, but too tired to bask in it.
(5)

Oh goodness, I dare not look back too much and wish. One day at a time. I do intend to keep travelling a bit with sig other. Got an invitation to a wedding in NY state. I haven't entirely discarded the idea. I know that caregiving and a lifetime of being an adult as a child, and then being the "responsible" one has molded me. You have to fit in the "fun" where you can.

If it is more "fun" to stay home and watch a movie - so be it.
(7)

FF, I think we must all be in denial of how tired, overwhelmed that we are. Also deny we really need to care for ourselves. Some can and some can't and that is ok.
(12)

I still haven't recovered from the 7 years of helping out my parents... and here I wasn't even hands-on. Those who are hands-on, how on earth do you do it? Maybe it is my age, as I was a senior doing logistical care of much older seniors [mid to late 90's].  My parents lived in the same subdivision, and I was on speed-dial.  Plus I was working at a career that I had worked too long and hard at to give it up.

My last parent passed almost 2 years ago... my gosh, I can't believe it has been that long. I haven't recovered any of my energy. Doctor said it is just age, I though 70 was the new 50? What a laugh.

And I feel so frustrated because my parents had over 25 years of a wonderful retirement. Lots of travel, dining out, going to the movies, visiting relatives, etc. Well, I had to toss out my bucket list. I developed panic attacks while helping my parents, thus flying is out, so is long car travel. Forget dining out, I find it just too noisy. Movies, rather watch one at home. Oh how I long for the days when my sig other and I use to hike for miles.
(10)

Tired and frustrated. I'm so tired that all I wish is that I could sleep for a month straight.
When people go on vacations I ask about how the beds are. I want to fantasize about sleeping on a nice fluffy bed in some beautiful exotic locale. Exhaustion is making
me a total weirdo. :/
(11)

Well here goes.... mom finally told me to go ahead and sign her up for Medicaid and look for a nursing home - just in case. I won't say it was a long drawn out battle, because she just refused to ever discuss it, and now she can barely move. Calls me and says she fell again, or she's stuck on her rollator and can't get back to her chair, but wouldn't let me DO anything... any idea how frustrating that is? She is forgetting things a lot lately (she says pain meds), so she may forget she told me to talk to her sw and dr, but I'm going to take it and run with it - prayers please, you all, and thanks!
(8)

Hanging on by a thread. My husband started a fight with his daughter. Of course he has to draw me into it too. It sure would be nice if he would just shut up and listen for a change.
(3)

Hi Smeshque and Book,

Smeshque, thank you for your prayers….I can sure use them but am not giving up. (smile)

Book… Tums do the same thing to me but I am can’t be sure as I have IBSD so I basically live on Immodium AD. I love pickles and love the juice but have to restrict the amount that I eat as they give me indigestion….ugh. I still haven’t tried the ginger though. Will keep y’all posted.
(1)

FreqFlyer, if I take Tums daily, I eventually will get an upset stomach and diarrhea. I tried it.

I read about the ginger. Since I rarely have real ginger in the house, I actually bought ginger tea. It’s still unopened. Eating ginger causes me to burp it up for hours. Don’t know if that’s a normal to eating ginger.... I just need to be careful with what I eat/drink.

Dusti, I thought it was drinking pickle juice daily that helps some people with acid reflux. Or worsen for others. Since I don’t like pickles, I never tried it.
(1)

You too Dusti, hope the tea works and hang in there. I am praying for you.
(1)

smeshque.. I haven't but may make some ginger tea. I have heard that dill helps as well. Will have to try both and will let you know what happens. Have a great night!
(1)

Have you ever tried ginger for acid reflux?
(2)

Hi Book and Frequflyer…

Book... sorry about the late response. Yep my eyes are wide open. One thing at rehab today I signed the permission papers for a psychiatrist to do eval on my honey for his meds. Hope they can find out why the sudden personality changes and get it resolved before I bring him home on the 14th.

Book and Freqflyer...I hate acid reflux. I have had it so bad that I nearly choked to death and my honey had to pound me on my back before I could start breathing again. (prior to him getting so sick). This is one thing that scares me about being alone here. When it hits that bad I cannot breathe in or out. So praying it stays away. Sounds like y'all have found some good solutions.

Have a great night.
(2)

Bookluvr, don't you hate it when acid reflux creeps up on you in the middle of the night. What I have been doing has been chewing two Tums Smooties tablets before going to sleep, and so far that has worked.

For me, for some reason I now get acid reflux from peanut butter. Never had that problem in the past. Probably from the oils used in making the product.
(2)

I woke up 3:45 am choking and coughing so hard. Acid reflux. I know the culprit. A new orange drink I had taken as a late snack. Maybe best to stick to peanut butter to curb my late night sugar cravings. I also woke up to severe neck pain and a pounding migraine. My head touching the pillow was too painful. I did my neck exercises to loosen my neck muscles with lots of clicks and popping (just turning my head to look left or right).... I’ve done something I’ve never done before. I took the migraine excedrin so early and on an empty stomach. It’s an hour later. My headache is gone. I’m going to see if I can go back to sleep.
(2)

Alto, you did great! I am sorry for the loss of your dad.
(1)

Altopower, my heartfelt sympathy to you and your family.
(0)

Alto, I'm sorry for the loss of your father. Hugs, and prayers for you and your family.
(1)

My father died on Friday morning in hospice care at his facility. He went downhill so fast, no one was ready. But I feel a huge weight off. I honored my promise to keep him home as long as medically possible. Just having hospice there brought peace because I knew he'd be comfortable. I think I'm numb now.
(9)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter