Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
54j, I think that's a good idea! It will be a smaller place for you to haved to take care of. Another reason it might work out for you is so that later on in years, if you happen to need the money out of your house, you won't have to wait for it to see then when you might need the money quickly. I've seen this happen to lots of people. They need to sell house for financial reasons. And it takes forever for it to sell. Also somthing to think about, do you plan on living there when somthing happens to hubby? If you are sure you wouldn't. Stay in the house after he is gone, then why wait? He probably can't help with the upkeep much now anyways. And you don't need the stress of having to do it. It is a big decision. Search your heart. You will know what to do.
(1)

seemeride- i love ur name . i do know what ya mean i changed mine while back too , lol figured my first name owuld be better than my long last name lol .
hope u ll get some much need rest today dear . xoxox
(0)

Linda....I meant change my name so my MOM wan't call it out every hour during the night....if I'm LUCKY it is only every hour. Last 2 nights, it's been every 30 min till I just give up....I put the "gate" down as she calls it, and just go to bed till she hollers. If she gets up and forgets about me, OK, if she wants just to know where I am she hollers, if she wants to know what time it is, she hollers, if she has a dream about something, she hollers, except then it's not a dream and she's usually pissed off about something. I can't cat nap like she does all day...to much eating, dishes, laundry, floor sweeping, beds to make, and everything else that needs to go on just because......already she just interrupted me to go to bathroom.....no rest for the wicked.......and today I feel wicked..... Doc visit was good..at least their computer didn't go down until I was on my way out the door. Whew! Just made it. Computers are great until they don't work. The lights flashed off and back on......even their phones didn't work.....

Ted didn't show up yesterday for lunch....for whatever reason.....but that didn't stop hubby and me from having a WONDERFUL lunch at the rest. We both had their seafood bisque. I loved the names of the meals. Hubby had a bowl, and I had a High Tide ....combined a bowl with half a sand. from the Low Tide menu. It was crowded, had to park around the side street. Sat across from a couple and toddler going for a boat ride up the intercoastal waterway. Beautiful day, but after lunch we headed back home to reality. Got home at 3:30 in time to get a urine sample from to take to the dr. before they closed at 4, and 3 hrs. later they called to say a prescrip. was at the pharm. Amen.

What a caregiver/friend I have in my neighbor......while we were gone, she did my laundry, vaccuumed, swept the kitchen floor to get mom's lunch up off it, shampooed the carpet in mom's room on her hands and knees with some canned cleaner from her house, and got her mother to come over and they all sat outside and talked. Then she collected the sample. And got pissed to think I would pay her extra for the cleaning...but of course I will !!! The rest of this week I will help her fix platters for a wedding shower she is hosting for son and soon to be bride. I can provide all the platters, got lots of glassware.....

Got mom in bed now, can't decide if I want to try to nap or not............
(0)

Seemeride... Nap. Lay yourself down. Please?
(0)

seemride. i hear ya ! i was going to take a catnap yesterday well that didnt happen . other dayi did and boy i slept like a log .
well that sucks in not meeting ted .... he could have let ya know a head oftime to say he s not able to make it . but at least u and hubby got to get away from home and enjoy the meals . bet u kept lookin for that purtty cat but didnt see him . damn it ! good thing we all didnt load up and go out there to meet him and phhtt no cal no show .
oh i love ur neighbor already ! damn i wish i had a nieghbor like that ! im lookin at my braided rug it has mulberry stains all over it , daughter and 3 kids came here while i took hubby to hospital last fri , ohhh crap them kids didnt take off thier shoes and all the mullberries were on the bottom of thier shoes . grrrr . kids will be kids , love em all anyways . lucky my furntiure is not white whew ! theyre dark colors . i learned do that when u have kids ,
seems like pa knows when im nappin cuz he hollars . i just shut my bdrm door and turn fan on . of course he cant get up anymore so i dont worry about him fallin out of bed . ok for him to sleep all day but when it comes to me , ohhhh helppp me i gotta go peeeeeeeeeeeeeee . phhht he s already wet and freakin out ,.
im waiting for hubby to get home from doc visit , maybe he decide to bring home supper , oh that would be wonderful . new bp meds he s takin is makin him feel blah . damn i worry about him .
meow soon xoxox
(0)

Well, not only did my lady Ruth kick my butt, this stupid new email is really testing my patience...
Hope everyone had a day, if not a good day... Sonny and Ms. M are settling in to me being in the house. Ms. M is smiling a lot more, seemed very tired today, but the blood disease she has just takes all her energy. They have so many nice friends, people that really care about them, some of her lady friends are always there to take her to the Dr., to the beauty shop, bring her little snacks for her and Sonny. And I get introduced to everyone... I do not have to hide in the pantry and be quite as a mouse... One of the men Sonny used to work with brought a bird bath today!!! Set it up in the yard where they could both see it from inside. They both enjoy watching the birds and that was so sweet I almost cried...I have been blessed with the company of these two elders.
Yes, Sonny and I will have to start going to different neighborhoods once he gets this one all spic and span. He's like Johnny Appletwig, he doesn't leave anything, but takes things away.. Guess we will have to start carrying a little trash bag with us, so his hands aren't full when we get back to the house...
The only problem I am having in my life at all, is this leg!!! I am not as young as I used to be and it has only been a few months since the break and apparently I am not 100% yet.. I am one hurting lady by the time I get home... such a whiny girl I am.. couldn't be more blessed than I am now, and still have to find something to complain about..
Hope everyone checks in, let's us know how their day went. hugs to everyone..
(1)

Hey Ladeeda,
It will take time for the break to be back to normal. It has been nearly a year and my boyfriend still has swelling and pain by the end of the work day. And the fact we aren't spring chickens anymore it take some time for the body to adjust. It sounds like you are in a good situation with Sonny & Mrs. M. Mom loves to watch the birds too. I have a feeder and a bird and butterfly garden that they love. I also have a small pond which all the wildlife seem to like too. I read one of your post feeling guilty about Ruth. You did everything within your control so don't feel guilty. You gave Ruth love which no one else seemed to be able to give. Rest the leg and take care of yourself. Now I have to read up on all the posts I have missed on both GO and here!
(0)

Thanks for the info...I guess I am just having trouble accepting my limitations.. getting older and more aches and pain, my brain does not have a clue I should slow down... thanks for the encouragement tho.
Guess a certain amount of guilt goes with the territory of elder care. And I think as much I am grateful she is at peace, I still miss her. Seems more everyday... just part of the grief process, I know..
Good to hear from you, take care and hugs to you....
(1)

Starri.....you are probably on duty now....hope you can get a nap in tonight....never hurts to wish, does it.

Deef...hope you are having fun with Rip.....very pretty country there.

Ladee....try to remember what it was like to be with humans.....LOL

Jam what can I say? Enjoy the rest, remember no electricity on the fence....one of these days I'll tell you about my experience with the electric fence and my 2 dogs.....

I finally figured out today that Burned is on the west side of AZ and the fires are East, so I hope she read this and realizes we still think of her......

Car 54, where are you? When I saw that name, 54j, that old show was the first thing I thought of............OK.....don't TELL me no one else remembers!!!

rj.....having a restful evening? Sure hope you are....

Well, thought I had a foot fungus......glad I don't....but if I had any sense, I would have told doc to write a scrip for me to give hubby that said I needed to have a pedicure at least once a week..........damn.......I blame no caffiene for that one. Appt was at 9 and I don't wake up till 10, no matter what time I get up.

Help comes in 20 min. I am going to soak in the tub and rest these weary bones. If you don't hear from me again, I fell asleep.................glub, glub, glub...........
Night all...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
(1)

Hey everybody, jam,ladeeda, semmer, linda, starri,54j,bypor,anyone else I missed. You know a few days ago I thought, hey I've been doing an awful lot of venting and not much aknowledging. I've never been a self absorbed person. I think,pray and care about everybody on here. I thought id lay off the venting for a few days and focus on everybody for a while. But I can't help it. I gotta vent this one! Today is piano lesson day. Takes about an hour every wendsday. Now since she was throwing such fits when we go places we've been trying to stay home on sat and not go to town, like we used to. Fine. I'm getting ready to leave and she comes out and ask what I do with the kids at lessons when its hot. Well I take them in with me. She says, oh does that lady have many steps into her house? Well no only 3 but the rock stepping stone pathway, might be a challenge as well as the gravel bar thing she has with more large rock stepping stones, and two of the three steps are made of these large rocks arranged in a circle that's isn't very walker friendly at all. Hard to explain its very lovley but unstable. There is no morter connecting it all so its not smooth at all.
(0)

ASG, I missed you, honey, but I didn't forget you. Did Auntie ever get "her day"? Like every day isn't her day...........
(0)

Good evening......hope everyone has had a good day. I'm really tired tonight and haven't done a lot. Today was hubby's birthday, went out to lunch, did some shopping, and then went to the hospital to see his mother. She has been there 5 days and I see no changes in her other than worsening memory. They have started her on Namenda, as well as keeping her on the same meds as before. I can deal with the rotten memory, it's the argumentative, defiant attitude that is still there and I have a feeling it will always be there. They are going to start "pushing" her buttons tomorrow and see if she will get the attitude with them. I also noted some edema in her feet....more than normal. She called about 2 hr after we got home to say she was through with them and when did they say she could come home? I had to explain that they didn't tell us when, but they had to see how she was going to do on the new medicine. She calls it a "hotel" and says the staff is very friendly to her, although there isn't anything to do. Changed the batteries in her hearing aids so maybe that might be a help to all concerned.

Watching Under the Tuscan Sun.....have never seen it....makes me want to move to Tuscany.....if that is real scenery they used, it's beautiful. I envy you Rossella...:)

ASG.....how is Aunt today? Being a good girl I hope.....:)

I will get caught up tomorrow on everyone's posts and get to know our new friends. Hope it's a good evening for all...

Love and Hugz,
Jam
(0)

Now I am waiting with bated breath for the rest of ASG's story....she tells such good ones............
(0)

Sorry I sent it by accident wasn't finished. Anyway, so she says, well couldn't I just set in the car? Uhh no! Its 90+ degrees outside don't think that would be safe! So I said ih honey its so hot, you'd be so much comfortable here. Plus I'm using hubbys car and she can't get into it. Its an suv and sets up to high for her we have tried. Oh that's right she said. I reminded her that she has appointments tommarrow and Friday that we will be going to. So she can get out then. Ok she says. Acts fine about it. Turns around and starts headung back to her room from the kitchen, and just all the sudden is almost running back, I thiught she was gonna fall! Her feet were turned out like a penguin(not making fun) it was strange, then I heard her let out and just start bawling like a baby. I said honey don't cry I don't care if you go but its not safe.
(0)

Hello all. I posted this also in Grossed Out. I have friends in both threads.

It has been a busy time for my mother and I. It has been difficult and even I have had a hard time speaking of the trials and tribulations of caregiving in which has turned out to be the final few weeks.

Grandma has chosen her time to give up her spirit to God. She is now slipping from us and making her way closer to her husband, parents, sisters, brothers and friends who have gone before us. She had an unrecoverable set back and began her transition from this plane of existence last night. We are at her bedside and helping her set down her burdens and soar with the angels.

We appreciate your thoughts, prayers and intentions at this time.

For all of you who have traveled this path before me, know that I now am walking that last mile in your shoes. I carry the memories of our treasured conversations and shared sorrow as I now stand vigil beside my grandmothers bedside. It is our final privilige to share in my grandmothers joy at her long awaited reunion with her husband. She has received her last rights and is ready to experience the passion of her communion with God.

We know what to expect. We are meeting the road as it rises before us. We are at peace.

I think I may end up keeping the cowbell.

Love,
HB
(3)

ASG....did Aunt want to go with you? Gosh, you are giving up so much to make her happy and I wish she was a little more grateful for all you do for her. If she was in her "normal" mind I'm sure she would be. You can't do this job without venting at some time or another. And it's rare that you vent....you usually are thinking of everyone else....so it's okay to let it go when you need to. Remember, that is exactly what we are here for.

Love ya,
Jam
(2)

Hi HB. I am sorry. As you had disappeared from the thread(s) I thought some major things were happening. I am glad that you are not alone in this difficult moment, and all the family is around your grandma... I am sure her relatives who have already passed out are waiting for her and they'll help her to do that step.
Kisses and hugs
(2)

My thoughts and prayers are with you HB and the rest of your family. We can pray that Grandma passes on in peace and comfort. I'm sure she is comforted having her family surrounding her as she takes her journey to be with the angels.

Love to you,
Jam
(1)

Oh HB, my heart is breaking for you... thru all the craziness that goes with this job, the end is always so sad, so hard, too damned real.... My thoughts and prayers are with your Grandmother, and all her family.. Special hugs to my special friend, I love you and I think keeping the cowbell is so very appropriate.... keep us informed, OK? Lots of hugs to you my friend,,,
(1)

HB, I do not know you, but I am sending my thoughts and prayers, it's hard to have someone leave us, but there is comfort in the knowledge that they are with loved ones who went before and are no longer suffering.
(1)

She. Startd into her room almost tripping again, and says hell I wouldn't go wiith ya if you asked me!!! Cussing, saying inaudible things, crying. I calmly said please don't be mad, its so hot out. Oh no I'm not mad, I just don't understand why in the hell the lord leaves me here(living)! I just want to go be with my husband(heaven). I felt so sorrybfor her, I was so stressed at the same time. I called hubby he's like well use dads car, leave it running. I'm like for an hour? Thants nuts. I said fine then when she strokes out cause its so hot, and is misrable cause its so hot. You can deal with it. Then at that point I went from being stressed to pissed off. And was of coarse now running late, I went down and got fils keys and car andcame back up, and said ok come on. We will take bills car and leave it running. By that time she wasn't upset anymore, her face had changed and she's like oh honey its to hot. I don't really want to go.!!!!! Arrggghhh. I'm glad she didn't. She would have been hot, then cold cause of the air conditioner, then hot, then yelling at the kids for blinking. Then pissed off cause we left her outside, then cying cause she can't get in. It would have been hell. I've already been there with her. Then I was late after all of that, didn't get my shower, again! I told hubby later that no way in hell was I gonna leave a 85 year old woman in a car with it 90+ degrees outside ever. Esspecially with the meds she is on where she is supposed to not get to hot. I was crying mad, cause its not her fault. She needs to be medicated for these kind of behaviors, but until she just completley looses her mind she will lie to dr. And not tell him about her problems.
(0)

Everyone else is sleeping I hope or at least resting, I am sitting here next to Mom's bed, hoping that she sleeps through the evening, had to call her hospice nurse this evening and see about upping the medications, her pain levels have been between 8 and 9 today, of course, baby brother could not call me and let me know, would have taken care of it earlier..don't know who was to blame for that one, her or him.. she was hurting last night and didn't want me to call the nurse, I went ahead on my own and moved up her pain med dose by a hour. It helped and she rested the rest of the night.

Will be seeing her regular hospice nurse tomorrow, so looks like another sleepless 36 hours or so.. Got to remember to call my own mental health doctor, out of my depression meds and this is not a good time for that to happen.

Hope all are resting.
(1)

Seemer,yes she did get her day, I sat with her in her room for a whole 30 min(sarcasm) cause she wanted to go through these plastic boxes AGAIN! She had been carrying a torn off piece of paper sround with her with some of the items inside these boxes written on it. She was going to look through each one, see what was in em, write it on the paper, ttape it to the boxes so she would know what was in them. So the first box, literally just flipped everything in it. What was on top went on the bottom, the blankets on the bottom went on top. Then went through the other 3 plastic tubs, she took out 1 purse to trow away and did manage to take 2 half boxes and put them into one. It was kinda strange how she has always been a perfectionist, yet there was no real ryme or reason behind how she arrange some of the items. Like half of one set of curtains went into one box, the other haof into another. She never did label them. She wrote some stuff on this one little piece of paper, I said are you gonna cut that or somthing to label the boxes, she said oh, kinda mumble somthing I don't know what, then we finished whatever it was we were doing and she put the paper back in her basket and said the kitty was crying and wanted her back in there so that was enough. She didn't want a shower. So I talked her today into taking one tommarrow before she goes to beauty shop. She's gonna have to take those more often now, due to her incontinence.
(1)

Oh hb I'm so sorry, I thought maybe somthing was up. So glad you can be there with her. You have done well my friend. Prayers to you.
(0)

Not sleeping yet Starri, sorry to hear you are not getting any sleep for awhile...glad you went ahead and uped the meds. Hospice is usually very ok with that.. They were with Ruth.... I am so sorry you are going thru this... such a hard time. But know you are prayed for and thought of everyday... we are so grateful you are here and not alone... hugs to you, and at least try to rest if you can.. hugs across the miles to you...
(0)

Jam, she does tell me she appreciaates me somtimes. She will thank me. She will say oh honey your so busy to be dealing with an old woman. She can be very nice, very respectful. She just isn't always. I am thankful for the times she is. They are becoming fewer as these moods worsen. That's the craziest hardest thing about it. Just when I think, maybe I'm wrong, maybe she's not losing it, maybe she's just a tired old lady, things like this happen that make me change my mind. I spoke with my dad about it this eve. His grandmother died of alzhiemers when I was a little girl. He still laughs about how she grabbed ahold of me one time and shook the shit outta me like 2 days before she died. I will tell that story tommarrow. Anyways, my dad said he thought aunt was just an old b***h until they were at my house last time the kids had a birthday party, we had grilled before the party for supper, it was just family and one set of friends. We had told everyone to come eat supper with us f they wanted, we grilled some hamburgers, hot dogs, and little patio steaks. Anyways, we had made plenty just in case.the friends came and ate with us. So when my parents, came there was all this food left. I told them to please eat some of it, as I had so much. So mom got her a little spoon of potato salad, and a hot dog. Dad didn't eat he was visiting with my fil and hubby. I guess aunt goes up to my dad and says, did you guys not eat supper before you came? My dad says yeah we ate earlier, she says oh ya did, well its a good thing we ate already or there might not be anything left for us! He said huh? She said well you were eating wernt ya? He said I don't recall eating anything in the first place. I have a very southern family, we will feed anybody who comes through the door anything we have. If its here its yours to as far as food and drink go. I'm just astonished that she would be so rude to anyone esspecially my dad! Dad is one of those good hardworking give you the shirt off their back, you be nice to people kind of guys . I guess he understands. At the same time this same day, she was smiling at everybody, eating cake with them. So idk. Thanjs for your support jam. It means so much to know I'm not alone, and not horrible when this stuff gets to me.
(1)

Hi, ASG, what are you doing up at this hour? just got mom up to pee, gave her the increase in the amitripyline that the nurse approved for her. Friday mom's cna comes, have to try and figure out a way that she'll let her help with a bath, she's refused for the past three days, I can give her one, but I want her to get use to having a nurse do it, if she has to go into the hospice house, that is what is going to happen, in the hospital, the nurses dreaded coming in for bath time, she wasn't all that friendly.

She's back in bed, and the poor baby is so confused, she asks me which way she's to turn for getting back in. It's midnight here on the east coast, not tired yet, guess that six hours sleep, broken or not helped.

Got to have my brother come over in the morning so that I can go to town, see my shrink, get new prescriptions for my medications, get them picked up and then back here to meet up with her nurse, can't count on my brother remembering what is going on. Think I might bring in my husband tomorrow for sitting with her for a while... so that I can get some sleep and my brother can stay tomorrow night. Don't really know if it is a good idea for him to stay, she is worse at night.

Oh, well, will figure out something, he's got to be gone to Columbia, that is where the main VA hospital is on the 14th, I've got a doctors appointment on the 14th as well, but I might be able to cancel that one if I can slip into see the shrink tomorrow and get the scripts, anyway, mom is a pack rat, trying my best to clean up some of the junk without her knowing too much, don't want to stress her out.

Take care.
(1)

Starri, you are doing good. Remember we are all here for you. I hope you can rest. Even if you can't somehow our addrenalin gets to going and we keep on keepen on. :o)
(0)

my only problem with the adrenalin is the fact that it kicks in my mania and if it is going good, I might be three days or more without sleep, that is one of the meds I have to get tomorrow, as I call them the "shut up the brain" meds... head starts racing and you can forget sleeping, kinda like a thousand people in there screaming.

I'm very grateful to have found this site and this thread, it reminds me of another topic in a group that I belong too, it's a anything goes thread. Think that I might take your suggestion and try and lay down for a little bit, hopefully she stays asleep.
(0)

Starri, its like I can't wind down anymore at night. I'm sure lack of sleep dosnt help me. I'm lucky I don't have to help her to the bathroom yet. She is up all hrs. Of the night. I used to be able to stay up late all week, sleep in on sat. And catch kt up while hubby watched the kids for me. On the days he was home. It was so nice. Aunt has decided I shouldn't sleep in past 9 EVER, I know its late to most people. But its just one day a week. To catch up on lost sleep through the week. On that day id stay up with hubby late the night before, We would talk, watch a movie or drink coffe and set outside. Till wee hours. Then id sleep in as much as I could on sat. Now not so much.I miss those days.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter