The Caregiver....How are YOU doing today?

Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing

Comments

Show:
1 2 3 4 5
Book, has the typhoon hit yet? I'm going to look it up online.

Edit: Looks like you're getting it later Monday afternoon and evening. Take care!!
(3)

I want to share some normal life stuff, hope no one minds if I butt in and share it over here. It's not dysfunctional or related to dysfunctional family stuff, so I think it goes over here.

I'm sitting at home, eating some SERIOUSLY garlic and jalapeño salsa on tortilla chips in an attempt to kill the last of my recent sick bug, and thinking about my plans for new apartment. I cannot believe it, but it's coming up on one year I've had my lease at current place, and I decided to make a move from the 1 bedroom to a much larger 3 bedroom for same rent.

I've been thinking about this... and I really think that... I want to get 2 roommates for the other 2 bedrooms and basically I could live rent free. It's hard to explain, but yeah, could be done, and it's not like I won't pay anything -- I'll include all utilities and household supplies (toilet paper etc) in the rent. Chicago has a lot of graduate students for all the different universities, people who are here on work visa... There's enough of a demographic of people, I think, who would appreciate a relatively inexpensive, clean, safe bedroom in apartment where they didn't have to worry about anything much but paying rent... Plus there is a large 13 x 15 parlor plus 12 x 15 living room. There's a lot of space to put desks in the common areas.

So anyway, it wasn't my plan from the beginning to rent the other rooms. I didn't know what I was going to do. But now... it makes so much sense to me. I can save aggressively and also pursue other interests easier, work fewer days perhaps and have free time for other things.

With this in mind, I'm bringing in a contractor for estimate to paint the entire place, walls and trim, patch things up (doesn't need much, just cosmetic overhaul), and put in custom shelving for all the closets so there will be plenty of storage room for multiple occupants.

I'm excited to see how my Project: Apartment will come out. It wouldn't make sense to invest $2k in an apartment (I asked landlady if she would paint, she declined) that I don't own... but if I see that amount as an investment in not paying rent for the next 5 years, it's nothing.

I think this is a good idea. I'm exited to spiff up the new digs. I'm getting estimates this week for the needed work.
(5)

Thanks about my aunty. Despite being in so much pain, she came to my dad's 1st anniversary of his death. She came to the 7-days of mass of intentions. I recognized her singing voice among the other women. My aunty had a beautiful singing voice - whether singing solo or with others. I forgave her when she sang that song on the day mom died. I could tell that aunty was singing from her heart. I forgave her but I have never forgotten. She and my mom's other siblings rarely came to visit their own sister all those years she was suffering dementia and then bedridden. When my dad died, she also sang that song -despite not liking my dad. I forgave her again. {whispering... I think Uncle, her husband, is going down the dementia or senility lane.... She was his rock.}

As for the typhoon, it changed a teeny tiny direction, no longer head-on. But we're still preparing because it can always stall in one place for hours, and then turn direction. I'm still putting things up, muttering that after this is over, and I have some spare time, I'm going to ruthlessly start throwing out things. I'm such a packrat!!!! Even now, I'm having a difficult time throwing things away as I'm trying to decide which items are important and goes on top of my bunk bed.
(9)

Book, would riding it out at your office work?
(0)

Book
please find higher ground to ride out the storm

we are thinking of you and sorry to hear of your auntie
(5)

Bookluver, I an so sorry to hear of your Aunty's Passing. I was luck to have 3 amazing Aunty's in my life, my Mom's 3 sisters. Losing them was so difficult, and then my Mom too, Uggg, I know it's a part of life, but I do understand how sad this time is for you right now.

How scary to be preparing for a typhoon! I hope and pray that you find Safe refuge, and that it isn't anywhere near as bad as you think it may be. Please let us all know how you are doing, and do find a safe place soon! I'll be praying for you and all of your Loved Ones! Take Care Girl! ❤❤❤
(6)

Book, I’m so sorry for your loss. Cancer is just a horrible disease. Can you and your sis go to a hotel to ride out the typhoon? Keep us updated as you can.
(6)

Book I am so sorry about your Aunt, was she still in Washington? And typhoon would scare me too.. do you have any other realitives you could stay with, or your boss and his wife?
(4)

(((((book)))) I am sorry for your loss. Please stay somewhere safe! Let us know how you are.
(5)

Book, I am so sorry for the loss of your Aunt.

Typhoon, certainly there are better places to ride the storm out that bro's? Take care of yourself.
(4)

1 2 3 4 5
Related
Questions