No more privacy...

Follow

I moved dad in 4 years ago. Daughter moved in 2 years ago. We were empty nest for almost 2 years. Since then, we have no privacy. When things get tough we have to go away to a hotel. We have a beautiful home we have rebuilt to make a "stay-cation" kind of place rather than spend on vacation rentals. Now we have to sneak in 2 hours to our selves maybe once a week if they leave the house at the same time. Last night we had 2 hours to make a nice lite dinner and of course ours, his and her dogs decided to be needy. His dog pees on the carpet right in front of us, then her dog throws up right after feeding him. Its not like we ignore them, we let all the dogs out to do their business and then this happens. So shortly after dad comes home, right into our living room to get my newspaper. It's not that I resent him being here, it is no privacy anymore in my own home. Daughter is looking for a place but can't rent due to breed of dog she has. Dad has no money. Siblings are MIA. Why am I the one who has to find alternatives for my privacy? No one helps out with chores, give a little to the electric, heat, food, toilet paper or laundry soap even... Wife wants to build a cabin out back, but they would still find us. Apparently dad has enough money to go out to breakfast and some lunches and dinners during the month. Anyone else have these issues or is it just me being selfish? I run a business, I pick up extra jobs here and there to bring money in and still...

Find Care & Housing

Comments

Show:
1 2 3
There are good days and bad days. Enjoyed the house to ourselves for the entire day on Saturday and a few hours Sunday, felt like old times.... Just the wife and I.
Daughter is spending time with the new BF over the weekend. Apparently we have a new dog since hers had a issues with the BFs dog, so I now babysit her dog all week during the day and now weekends.
Advised we are away on a work trip at the end of the month and she is to be present to manage the dogs. I have people live here rent free and when I ask for things to be done I dont feel I need to ask. I do and I expect it to be done. Period!
On the good note she met his parents and we are supposedly going to meet him this weekend.
Dad is slowing down a bit, tired a lot. His weight is gaining and his shirts don't fit well anymore, bursting. Not very appetizing for him to have his shirt open at the dinner table. Funny, if I am not home he is the first one to say lets order pizza! Yeah, good eating habits. Can't teach him new tricks.
He is supposed to drive to my siblings house 7 hours away. Not too fond of this, he can barely walk without assistance let alone drive. Sibling thinks its great! 3 days with her and then she ships him back...... the Disney parent. Of course she doesn't call me to see what I think, even tho she wont listen to me anyway.
(0)

Thanks cwillie!
(0)

Poor TG tiptoed back after being mostly absent for a while and everybody is jumping all over him again. Not nice, probably not helpful either.
(4)

Hey, the alcoholic SIL is gone; credit where credit is due!!
(3)

Ha, 🤣 what can I say? I was on a roll cwillie and countrymouse!
(3)

Folks, search for Tgengine's earlier posts and read them. This is NOT a new issue.
(2)

Pedant.

Five, actually, altogether. But who's counting?

Cue Spanish Inquisition sketch, I think...
(4)

That's four words Harpcat 🤣
(2)

Two words...boundaries, tough love and oh one more word....a spine.
As Dr. Phil says "we teach people how to treat us".
(3)

Ps, TG. You DO resent your dad. For good reason.

Not sure why you deny your very real feelings. You're an adult. You are allowed to have negative thoughts and feelings. You are allowed to be resentful of the fact that you're being taken advantage of.

Tell dad and adult daughter that you are charging them rent, starting July 1. If nothing else, it will fund more getaways.
(5)

1 2 3
Related
Questions