Follow

As a football fan, I find it's been very uplifting to redirect pointless, potentially abrasive holiday discussions into football talk, especially with people who grew up watching football.

Everyone around me is a 49ers fan. I can go into the arguments about their draft pick QB, their odds of making the playoffs, and who did what even though I personally am not a 9ers fan, but a Seahawks fan. It takes the pressure off of weird political discussions or unpleasant stuff. I just redirect it to football, and it works.

I know the ALs know this from seeing the activity calendar. They are having seminars about how football works so that the women (it is mostly women) will bond over that, plus it gives one more thing to talk about with the men in there.

I recommend football as a positive technique!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Totally agree, and actually I am starting to see the NFL as a blessing both as a US citizen and as a fan. It gives something universal to discuss, and it focuses the conversation on something (mostly) impersonal. It is a great distraction too allowing me to focus on something other than world events or the health of my loved ones or family dysfunction. Yes, I love the NFL. Whoop-whoop! So thankful we have this league.
(1)

My BIL got his undergrads from the U and his PhD from Ohio State. Then he taught at Iowa State for 25 years. Don't know where his loyalties lie, but he's excited.

Yeah, we're stoked. We've got some great players and it's been a great year.
(1)

The Utes are playing Ohio State, but who cares? They got into the Rose Bowl! Congrats on that alone, plus the additional talk of WHO got them to the Rose Bowl and when and if they declare for the NFL draft. That's an accomplishment for anyone.

With local college, we have Stanford and Cal, neither of which has really done anything for years. I'll watch the Big Game between them, but don't really expect more. You guys making it to Rose Bowl is almost like Super Bowl. Congratulations1
(0)

Our entire holiday disussions will be around the Utah Utes making it to the RoseBowl. It's never happened before and we're not likely going to live to see it happen again.

I texted my son after the 2nd amazing win over the Oregon Ducks and said "Hey, you should take your old man to the Rose Bowl". AND HE IS GOING TO. It's turning into quite the mancation and I am so excited to have DH gone for 4 days with his son and favorite SIL.

And and SIL Are picking up the entire tab (this wasn't necessary, but they insisted!) and DH is in a good mood--he's usually pretty grumpy as he watches FoxNews all day long. Now he can yell politics at the boys all he wants and I DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN.

We only follow MLB when it comes time for the pennant races and the Utes.
(1)

LOL, Urban got fired today, a day after reports that he had KICKED A KICKER came out. Their new HC is now the guy who called Seattle's goal line play to result in a fatal interception and the Patriots' win, and their GM is the guy who got Jim Harbaugh fired in SF and went through two coaches before getting fired himself. Plus, Trevor Lawrence hasn't been all that and that's not just because he has a weak supporting cast around him; he actually is inaccurate while staying healthy.

I watch the Lions too sometimes, and while they suck also, their plan is rather clear. With their high picks they'll be going for a QB no doubt and trying to trade Goff, and there's a sense with Dan Campbell that the team is under control.
(1)

My deceased husband played in the NFL for 14 years. I'm not a fan and know very little about the game. I met him as a defensive coordinator at the college level. I worked as an athletic dept. academic coordinator. I met and married him after he retired. I have a good pension, excellent health insurance and other benefits from the NFL. He wasn't a star player, just hung in there for retirement.
(2)

I didn't grow up an NFL football fan. I came to it at about 45 or so, so I still know relatively little. I pay attention to the rest of the league, especially now that the 2021 Seahawks frankly suck, so whatever game is on I'll be like, "well this one player is number 3 in sacks" or "that QB just came back from IR" or not really that sophisticated football talk, but usually that diverts people from almost everything!

I loved football on my own, but this additional benefit is why I really love football!
(3)

Hey man. He brought us playoff seasons for the past decade except 2017, and that was technically a playoff year. But of late, not even really late, his draft choices have been second only in his playcalling, and now Russ has been figured out, so I hope they send him off into the sunset so we can start over. Kinda like the 49ers have had to do time and time again before Shan.
(0)

It's fun to laugh at the Jaguars and Urban Meyer's antics.
(2)

I don't know if I should take advice from anyone who likes Pete Carroll, the dirty rotten USC cheater. :-)
(2)

I am not a sports fan. DH has been trying to teach me for 40 yrs, I could care less. 😁
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter