Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
lesa1919
Just wanted to say "welcome to the board" and - I am only a part time caregiver to my Mom and by the end of the week I am ready to pass her back to Dad but I do have a teen with special needs and she LOVES to repeat things over and over again. (OCD-constant need for assurance) And it is hard and yesterday I locked myself in a room in the house and just bawled into a pillow and this is my daughter! I mean , I am her Mom and should have better patience than that but --it just gets to you!!!

TardisTT -gave some good ideas-- wish I could give you more. Just know you are not alone and this is a good place to vent. Good luck!! And welcome! (((hugs)))
(0)

Caregiving is never easy, especially with someone like that.

Would it be possible to get her active in some kind of senior daycare program? It would be a few hours each week that would allow her time to socialize with others her age. Another option is to give her a daily set of "chores" to do. My mom and dad both have severely limited mobility, but they both have chores they do on a daily basis. Dad gets the newspaper in the mornings, checks the mail and is in charge of making their morning coffee. Mom washes their dishes in the morning (usually just 2 coffee cups and 2 small saucers) and makes up a grocery list of anything they are running low on. (I do all the shopping, but for example, I don't drink coffee, so if they're about to run out, I wouldn't even remember to check it most days!)

It's not much, but it gives them both something to look forward to doing each day that they are both used to. Dad used to wake up early for work, and he loves being able to go take mom her morning cup of coffee, while mom loved clipping coupons and making the weekly grocery list.

Another option would be to look into a 'sitter' type person for her. Someone that could just come over daily or weekly and sit and talk with her, or just be with her while she watches tv or reads, or (if she's up to it) could take her on walks around the block while you get things done at home.
(2)

Welcome to the forums, lesa1919! It is a good place to vent.

You are absolutely right: It is the dementia, and THIS IS SO HARD!!! It is hard (in different ways) whether it is your grandmother or your father or your spouse, and whether it is Alzheimer's or Vascular Dementia or Lewy Body Dementia or some other kind. Caregiving for someone with dementia is HARD!

It sounds like you are doing an excellent job, in spite of how hard it is. I'm glad you get the 3 hour respite in the mornings.

This isn't going to last forever, but it could last a few more years. Pace yourself. Be sure to arrange to take some vacations.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter