Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Lgm0103, reading between the lines a little, I take it that your mother has not been admitted to a nursing home, but that she is in a transitional care unit (TCU) of a nursing home. (Often called rehab facilitiy.) This is supposed to be a place where people recover from whatever put them in the hospital and then move on. There are some pretty strict insurance guidelines for how long and under what conditions they'll pay for a stay in a TCU. So that "they" are talking about Mother being ready to be discharged they probably mean she will soon not be eligible for insurance coverage where she is. They, of course, want to be sure they will be paid.

It sounds like they consider her not to be qualified medically for skilled nursing care. And you know she can't go home. What is inbetween? Assisted Living for one thing. I suggest you talk to that Social Worker in greater depth and see if AL could work for your mom. She would have activities to participate in and other people to get to know and some supervision such as managing her pills. It might be the perfect solution if it can be made to work financially.

Just be very sure that the social worker knows the home situation with Dad and your other responsibilities that prevent you from helping out as much as Mother needs. And when there is a care conference, attend it and speak up!

Good luck to you, and continue to keep us updated.
(1)

Just wanted to thank everyone who wrote on here. I know I was not always writing on here.

My mother passed away last night. Even tho me and my dad had just spoken to her an hour beforehand and she was feeling great last night.

Thanks for everyone's help.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter