Follow

A relative shared information on a call she got, apparently a new version of the intimidate and scare call. The caller, with a heavy accent, claimed to be with the local police force of the largest city close to her. He stated they were "holding a package for her" at the local city's airport.

He stated they "suspected" it had drugs. He added she "doesn't have a license" to get drugs, that she needs to get one from the FDA and it costs $800. He offered a small rebate if she sent him the $800 to get the license for her. (Fat chance!)

(He didn't address the fact that some people do get legitimate drugs via mail.)

She "lit into him" and corrected him on all the false statements, "told him off", and hung up on him. He called back about 15 minutes later, more aggressive, and got the same response from her.
The caller apparently didn't offer insights on why he/they allegedly suspected "drugs" in the package, i.e., dog sniffing, or other means, or whether the drugs were medicinal or illegal.
I'm guessing this would probably intimidate some people enough to be scared, or to send money, w/o analyzing the narrative and catching the shortcomings in the story.

The VA used to send drugs by mail, so there is legitimate basis for supplying necessary drugs via mail, although this thug inferred the drugs were illegal.

Please share with caregivers you know who are caring for elders or anyone who might be subject to manipulation, intimidation, and harassment calls. I'd hate to learn of anyone who's responded to such a brazen call with serious misinformation about drugs.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Here is what is bad. I have my doctor and my husband’s doctor calling our home with health matters.

So I have to answer the phone. Their number doesn’t show up on my caller ID because they use different telephone numbers.

I get both robocalls and human scammers.

I have an app that doesn’t detect all scammers.

Do not call list doesn’t help either.

At least junk mail can be tossed out. Scammers are a different story.

Even junk mail is an issue for people with cognitive decline. They think that they have won big prizes and so on. It’s awful.
(0)

Perhaps we need to consider asking Biden to create and appoint a Scam Czar or Czarina, a cabinet level post to go after scammers.
(1)

I have noticed all my scam calls are Robo calls. As soon as my VM kicks in, it hangs up. I have not had a real person in ages. For me, if I don't know the person, its a scam.

Boy, were do they come up with this stuff.
(0)

You’re right, Send. It’s incredibly frustrating.
(0)

There have been so many telemarketer calls and out right scams this year, that it is no longer okay to answer the phone at all from an unknown caller. This is frustrating, and causes us to be even more isolated.

Can you imagine, the Social Security card (your card has been cancelled) scammers left messages!!?!!.

Trying to console myself, I have arrived at this: The telephone is for me only, my use only, when I want to call out. There is no obligation to answer anyone's call, ever.

The real problem arises when calling out, leaving a message, the person may call back, does not leave a message. So I had to just let it go, stop doing personal business on the phone.

We were able to receive a call and answer when the doctor called by appointment from an unknown number. Phew!
(1)

GA,

It’s disturbing because these scammers are so clever!

The worst is when they leave a message and as soon as the person calls back they get charged fees.

The person scammed has to remove hundreds of dollars off of their bill.

Well, if a person has cognitive decline they aren’t able to deal with having fees removed.

It’s infuriating. We are told to ignore calls. So we do. We don’t answer an unrecognizable number.

So then sophisticated scammers leave scary, intimidating messages for vulnerable people and if they call back they get charged for the amount of minutes they are able to keep them on the phone.

Do not call list don’t help. It’s robocalls. Now they trick people by using the same area code. All scams should be reported but vulnerable people don’t have the capability of reporting them.
(0)

NeedHelpWithMom, I think standing up to and challenging these scammers tips the balance of power; they're used to intimidating others, not someone who stands up to them.

This is where all the tech stuff could be helpful:   if there were a method to program phones with a response like yours, which could be activated while on a phone conversation, older people might be convinced to always push that button whenever they got a call from someone they didn't know. 

I'll that scammer wasn't expecting to be told off the way you told him.

I'd like to figure out how to do that with my phone but I don't think it's possible, or if it is, I probably couldn't figure it out anyway.
(0)

The caller of the IRS scam claimed to be a member of law enforcement.

It is horribly sad when the elderly fall prey to these scams.
(1)

The only scam call with an FBI impersonation that I received was the fake ‘IRS’ scam that was going around awhile back.

I was bored that day and decided to play along.

When the caller said an FBI agent would be knocking at my door to arrest me I said, “Send them over!”

The caller screamed at me saying that I would be arrested if I didn’t pay.

I repeated, “Fine, come arrest me.” LOL
(1)

Since then I've researched charges for impersonating a police officer.  They range from a misdemeanor and fine to a felony.     I hope these jerks call me b/c I'll call the local police on my cell phone while they're on the line and report them for impersonating a police officer.   I don't know if our local police have time to investigate something like this, but I'm sure they know what agency would.   

And I'm sure they wouldn't be pleased to learn that someone is creating a bad reputation for them.

NancyMC, did you get a similar call?  Or were the calls to you the ones indicating that the police are on their way to arrest you b/c you haven't paid your taxes, or something like that?
(1)

Thanks for sharing this info. It seems there is no end to what scammers will try. I’ve had attempts too. A big clue for me was when he said “the cops” will be at my house... Ugh !
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter