Follow

I'd like to hear stories and discussion from everyone about in general dealing with a Care Receiver's doctor -- especially about meds that affect behavior. I'll be out today so please discuss among yourselves freely; I'll read everything when I get back.

Though I have his POA, his condition isn't bad enough to invoke that. He's functioning better than I am at the moment! (We're both 70.)

His current anti-depressant worked well for 2 years, except the rare occasions when he didn't take it on time. So the new psychiatrist changed it to slow acting/Extended Release -- which didn't work at all! For the whole month of Sept he got worse and worse. Early October we asked for him to go back on the version that worked, and she said, "I don't like the Immediate Release, I never prescribe it, but because I don't know you, I'll let you have another month of it." So all October, with the old, IR version, he's fine again -- but that month is running out, and we see her again Nov 7.

He still has some extras of the version that works, so there would be time for him to find another doctor or take other steps. But he's in the VA system (free), so it would be good to stay with this one who is assigned to him by the VA.

He agrees that he feels much better on the old version. But he is not very assertive with doctors, so I end up jumping in, and they don't like that. -- So, any stories or suggestions about dealing with such a doctor?

Carol gave me the tip that even the same drug, in a different version with different coating, dyes, etc, may not work. How many doctors accept this? Will they think it's just a rumor?

Details:
Old version that worked is Bupropion 75mg IR by Sandoz Labs (dose 375mg/day)

New version that didn't work is Bupropion HCI ER by Catalent (dose 400mg/day

A possible compromise would be to try a SLow Release / Extended Release by Sandoz. But we are in other stressful situations right now and would rather not experiment.

Thanks to anyone who has time to comment and discuss!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I am of the school that if something is working, don't change it. Why make a change to something that doesn't work so well?
(1)

I know this is an older post, but I had to reply. Not only is there a difference between Wellbutrin and its generic (Bupropion), but the generics are notorious for variation between manufacturers. These issues are extensively documented.

This doctor does not seem to be aware of this. If a patient is already doing well on the WB generic, changing based upon personal preference as opposed to the patient's needs is downright cruel (if not criminal).

I hope this has since been resolved.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter