Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Fotgot to add, use bed pads on your furniture. For Mother's comfort (easier for her to get up and down) I had 4" thick foam cut to 2/3 the length of one sofa and had it covered in a washable fabric. This is again wrapped in heavy beach type towel with waterproof bed pad on top.
(2)

How timely.
My sister in law was down for a visit a couple of weeks ago and we talked about this exact subject. We are both in our early 50's..........
.....Our conclusions, not in any order:.........................
-A proper will, and making my wishes known NOW to my children.
-A proper living will (mine according to my Church's teachings) and, again, making my wishes known NOW to my children and my family and my doctors.
-A DNR in place now, and making sure everyone knows this.
-Having all of our legal affairs in order all the time, including car titles/tags, life insurance, property titles, keep my bills paid in full each month, including credit card balances, taxes paid.......
-Work to get my funeral paid for now, including the casket, the plot, the Church, the flowers, the music, etc.. My sister in law prefers cremation and no church services.
I hadn't thought about stopping drugs when I am diagnosed with a terminal illness-very good idea........
..Treat me for pain, even if that medication shortens my life...........
.No tubes down my throat........
-Avoid poking me with needles, even if I die sooner.....

Old people used to die from natural causes. When my grandmother died many years ago she just passed away in her sleep - she was 65. Mom chose chemotherapy and radiation, at age 82! Everyone dies, and while I am in no hurry to go, let me die so you can remember me/us as active, healthy and happy......Don't keep me alive so I can lie in a nursing home and have my diapers changed...........
When God calls me home, let me go............
(6)

I am with pdahaven. You are so rightand that is what I tell my mother-I will not burden my child with taking care of me. I have a long term care policy and when the time comes that I no longer can ake care of myself but me in a facility. I do not wish this------- being a care giver 24/7 to anyone.
(2)

We also have long term care policies, all papers in place and explicit medical directives. My children would take care of us but we want them to be able to have the life with their children that we had with them. We are older parents and our kiddos will probably be in the mist of the teenage years when DH and I need care...don't want to spoil that fun for them!
(2)

I have made that desire very clear to my children, you will never be my caregiver. If I have to go into a NH so be it. Wish my mother had the same consideration for me, but she is from the generation of self entitlement where no sacrifice is too great for her creature comforts and care. Her finances are far better than mine and will be used for her entitled comfort and care wherever that might be except in my home.
(3)

I told my kids if I ever act like my mother they have my permission to walk away. She was a narcissist through and through. No nursing home for her yet she dumped my gma in one. Threatened to call the police if I argued with her yet treated her mom abominably. Demanded I take care of her but said it was ok for my sister to not participate.
Our kids know where all documents are, know our wishes, etc. My daughter and I talk often about this. I pointed to her toddler boys and said they are the reason you are never to be my caregiver. I had my chance, now it is your time to live, enjoy your family. We all have to die and to prolong life to end up a burden is one of the worst things a parent can do to a child. Modern medicine is grand...up to a point
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter