Follow

My FIL passed away in August. Since then my 79 year old MIL has become reliant on us from banking to her entertainment. She has very few friends (because she is somewhat arrogant, opinionated, uninterested in others and self-centered) and as such my husband feels compelled that we need to spend a lot of time with her. Before this we would see her once every 1-2 months but now she is at my house 2-3 times per week. I am growing weary of her constant comments that I perceive as negative criticism, she blatantly disregards some of my wishes or involves herself in discussions between my husband & I that are none of her business. When I bring these issues up with my husband I am told to ignore it or we land up in an argument, where I feel like I am being guilted into a situation that I am unhappy with. I feel as though I have been very accommodating given the relationship I have with my MIL but would also like to spend some time with my family away from her. When I however bring this up with my husband we land up in a massive argument. I thought we had discussed and agreed on what would happen to our parents once one of the partners passes on and I am now finding myself fighting for some personal time with my family.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter