Follow

My husband had a major stroke last year and was in 2 different hospitals. Would happily have been his guardian, but I had no permanent place to live. He broke out of the hospital room to come see me, but was picked up the next day and I don't know where he was taken or if he's even alive. I need to find him. Please help. I believe he is a ward of the state of Texas.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/09/how-the-elderly-lose-their-rights
(0)

You are phishing. Please stop.
(0)

I guess Burnt is correct on your perhaps being unable to hire a PI.
I sure do like MstrBill's idea of calling APS.
If you are still legally a spouse there are issues for so many things.
If not the hospital, if not APS, I bet they would be able to guide you and suggest.
I think JoAnn makes great point about the fact that computer literacy means almost anyone can be found (except Alva) out there. Do you have friends who are a whiz on that computer?
I sure would love an update from you if something works in this search, and sure wish you the best of luck.
(0)

Who picked him up? I would start there. If you don't know, go to the police department and report a missing person. They can investigate, and they can find out if he is being kept in a facility for his own safety and let you know. You can also call APS to see if they can help you. They likely know where he is. You are his wife, so I don't see why they wouldn't tell you unless they have reason to believe you are a danger to him. Do they have possibly a reason to believe that?
(2)

Was he incarcerated at any of these times? If so, this may help:
https://inmate.tdcj.texas.gov/InmateSearch/start.action
(1)

Believe me, if you have enough info, you can google anyone. I found a cousin. Seems his name is very common but I knew 2 places he had lived and his middle name. I found where he lived and my Uncle was listed as a relative.
(2)

If you are in fact legally married, you are your husband's next-of-kin. If your husband after suffering a stroke is able to break out of the hospital to visit you on his own, he was mentally and physically able to do so. There would be no reason why 'the state' would pick him up the next day and force him anywhere.

Unless, there are some things you're leaving out here. Like him being in the hospital is court-ordered. If he was made a ward of the state then he has been declared unfit to make decisions or to care for himself.

If you're the actual, legal spouse you are owed some answers. Go to the first hospital he was in then ask them where they sent him. Bring your marriage license if you have to as proof that you're married. Then follow the trail from one hospital to another. You'll find out at some point what happened.

Where do you receive your mail if you don't have a permanent address? I would go there because there may very well be correspondence from the state about your husband. Start there.

@Alva

A person with no permanent address likely can't afford to hire a private investigator or a lawyer.
(1)

Sorry, but if you had no permanent place to stay, I doubt if you could have afforded guardianship, it costs thousands. Even if he was placed with a state guardian, I would think a wife has some legal rights. There had to be a court hearing for a judge to assign a guardian. Have you checked the County Court house to see if this happened andv f so, who the guardian is? Problem with being a Ward of the State he could be anywhere in the State. Have you talked to Social Security to see if his number is still active? If so, maybe they can give u an idea where he is. If not active he passed. Put his name in Google and ur State. If he receives mail at a facility, his address may pop up. If so, u google the address and find the facility. Then u call and ask what room Mr. So and So is in, if he is not there u will be told he isn't there. Never ask if a person is there. Always act like u know they are.
(1)

I am afraid that finding missing persons is way out of our league but will just suggest that you consult a PI. Most private investigators don't have to leave the office/their computer much today. It is quite easy to track someone down if you have a name, and especially if you have a social security number.

You could also consult an elder law attorney. They would almost certainly be able to help you as well.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter