Elderly couple still living in apartment but with 247 care run out of money this summer and we need to find a decent place for them go that will accept Social Security and other government programs, as no other money will be left. She's 98 in a wheel chair and increasing dementia not Alzheimers, but she still recognizes family, read the paper and can have short conversations. He's 92 and on a walker. Moves slowly but can get around.

We need guidance on how to find a place that will take them under these circumstances and understand they may have to be separated.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.

Here are many senior nursing home in cities which can take care to 92 & 98 year old couple.
The guidance is

1) Make an appointment to visit the facility and meet with the social worker/admissions representative. While you’re at the facility, make note of how clean the facility is, of odors and if the residents are well groomed. Ask a lot of questions.
2) Do a Research what available Nursing Facilities are in your area. Determine what is imp to you and your family including locations and services provided such as hospice,therapy and activities.
3) Get a suggestions from your physicians, friends, relatives and co-workers to see what they suggest.
4) Call and ask questions about the facilityseveral facilities.

Entertaining idea of renting out the main downstairs of my home in Nashville to an elderly couple who would enjoy a spacious and gracious living style with their own belongings, and with the convenience of laundry, housekeeping services. Providing breakfast; lovely kitchen to raid refrigerator for tasty lunches. Within 5 -15 minutes driving distance to four of the finest medical centers in Tennessee.. One mile walk to grocery, pharmacy. As a licensed RN, I will be working during the day, and living upstairs. Senior social activities at close proximity YMCAs. Providing of meals days not working can be discussed. References upon request.

Check this side for senior housing in your areas. Look for Residential Care sometimes listed under Assisted Living. Are homes licensed by the state, specialized in dementia, inspected by the state so it's very safe and much closer care. Some of these places are called depends on the state, Adult Foster Care, Adult Family Homes, Group Homes,etc. All of them offer 24/7 care, some of them don't take Medicaid, some of them takes, some of them ask for the family to supplement the difference between Medicaid and actual charge for care..
Good luck to you and your parents

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter